CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4,217 of 31,833
I’m just wondering what I should get for a Budget of $200
FiiO f9 Pro , will release tomorrow,
FB_IMG_1509691001266.jpg

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,219 of 31,833
When the bass overpowers the mids, then for me that's a negative.

OK well, what does that have to do with what I said? Mids can be lean and also not be overpowered by the bass at the same time. If that's what you're getting at.

Like the Macaw Gt100S. Lean mids and bass-light.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #4,223 of 31,833
OK well, what does that have to do with what I said?

Was in relation to your 'not bassy' comment not the mids comment.

The DM5 have too much bass, especially sub bass, and the mids are a bit recessed (mean) so they're buried. Given the price, comments on here and to a lesser extent the number of drivers on offer I expected better. Pretty disappointed with them if I'm honest only upside is the extra cable with microphone which I'll use with the T2s and Moni. I didn't have the imaging issue that B9 had though.

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,224 of 31,833
My issue with the DM5 is down mostly to just the weird imaging. Ruins the experience for me which is too bad because I LOVE the low end. The sub-bass the DM5 puts out is awesome. Even with the imaging quirks, they're still a good buy for the price. But yes, I definitely prefer the T2. More forward and thicker mids, tighter treble, and no sound stage weirdness going on.

Thanks for replying to this B9, I have read many of your reviews and respect your opinion a lot. :)
I'm kind of noticing that I'm a bit of a bass head, so I'm glad to hear about the DM5's bass.
It's a bummer to hear about the soundstage/Imaging issues though.
Could it be source related?
I know @Dsnuts runs his DM5 balanced and he seems to LOVE them, so I wonder if that's the answer??

Well, it seems like everyone is widely divided on the DM5...

No one really dislikes it so far; yet I see people saying things like "its okay" to "I like it" to "I LOVE IT!!"
I REALLY hope I'm one of the ones that loves it..

Can you please tell me @B9Scrambler how the DM5 compares to the KZ ZS6 or ZS5 or even the ZST or ES3?
I have all 4 of those, and I was hoping the DM5 is at least better then all of those?
Also: how well does it respond to EQ?

@Dsnuts Have you tried EQing the DM5??

Anyone else try EQ on the DM5 and/or compare it to the above KZ earphones? @Selenium @Vidal ??

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my annoying questions guys! :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #4,225 of 31,833
The DM5 have too much bass, especially sub bass, and the mids are a bit recessed (mean) so they're buried. Given the price, comments on here and to a lesser extent the number of drivers on offer I expected better. Pretty disappointed with them if I'm honest only upside is the extra cable with microphone which I'll use with the T2s and Moni. I didn't have the imaging issue that B9 had though.

Ugh! Your killing me man! :wink:
I have such high hopes for the DM5.. I haven't even gotten them yet, and already I'm feeling some regret..
I read a ton of your reviews and respect your opinion quite a bit as well, so I'm REALLY hoping you just got a bad pair of DM5 or that it's a source related issue
I doubt that's the case though, because you seem to really know what you are doing with this kind of stuff.

Anyway, please try some of the things @Dsnuts mentioned such as long burn-in time, and/or running them balanced, foam tips etc etc. (Even EQ?)
You've just got to make these sound good Vidal, for my sake!! lol!

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,226 of 31,833
Ugh! Your killing me man! :wink:

You've just got to make these sound good Vidal, for my sake!! lol!

I lot of this is about personal preference I'm not a fan of too much bass. I have hundreds of earphones now so I don't need to mess about with EQ I just go back to one of my favourites.

To be honest perhaps I should start selling off some of the ones I don't like. The DM5 aren't a bad earphone if bass is your thing, its just not mine.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,227 of 31,833
I lot of this is about personal preference I'm not a fan of too much bass. I have hundreds of earphones now so I don't need to mess about with EQ I just go back to one of my favourites.

To be honest perhaps I should start selling off some of the ones I don't like. The DM5 aren't a bad earphone if bass is your thing, its just not mine.

"Personal preference" yes, definitely..
I am discovering I am a bit of a bass head myself, I notice I even boost the bass in my ZS5 in combination with the tape mod and using foam tips.
Even then, I sometimes wish there was a bit more BASS.
Even when I listen to classical music I prefer some bass boost. so there ya go..

I understand you not wanting to deal with EQ when you have so many pairs of earphones though..
Although I do like tweeking things (I'm a musician and have a small home studio), so I probably enjoy it a bit more then you.
Anyway, thanks so much for your reply.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,228 of 31,833
Thanks for replying to this B9, I have read many of your reviews and respect your opinion a lot. :)
I'm kind of noticing that I'm a bit of a bass head, so I'm glad to hear about the DM5's bass.
It's a bummer to hear about the soundstage/Imaging issues though.
Could it be source related?

Can you please tell me @B9Scrambler how the DM5 compares to the KZ ZS6 or ZS5 or even the ZST or ES3?
I have all 4 of those, and I was hoping the DM5 is at least better then all of those?
Also: how well does it respond to EQ?

Glad you enjoy the reviews. I seem to be the only one having the imaging issues so maybe take those comments with a grain of salt. In terms of ZS5 vs. DM5 they both have their positives and negatives. DM5's low end I much prefer. Tighter, more textured, more impactful, and digs deeper. Mid-range is more natural on the DM5 but too recessed. I prefer the ZS5's treble. Extends nicely and isn't as sharp. Also a touch more controlled. I also find the ZS5's housing fits me better, unless I wear the DM5 cable-down. Disregarding the imaging thing, I think they perform on a similar level. DM5 definitely feels more premium though, and that you get two cables and MMCX vs. a less common 2-pin connector is a plus, even if I prefer the 2-pin. Not sure where my ZST is to compare unfortunately. Don't have an ES3 or ZS6. I did listen to the ES3 briefly though and though it was really good. Similar to the ZST but more refined. Might pick one up at some point if I see a worthwhile sale.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,229 of 31,833
Glad you enjoy the reviews. I seem to be the only one having the imaging issues so maybe take those comments with a grain of salt. In terms of ZS5 vs. DM5 they both have their positives and negatives. DM5's low end I much prefer. Tighter, more textured, more impactful, and digs deeper. Mid-range is more natural on the DM5 but too recessed. I prefer the ZS5's treble. Extends nicely and isn't as sharp. Also a touch more controlled. I also find the ZS5's housing fits me better, unless I wear the DM5 cable-down. Disregarding the imaging thing, I think they perform on a similar level. DM5 definitely feels more premium though, and that you get two cables and MMCX vs. a less common 2-pin connector is a plus, even if I prefer the 2-pin. Not sure where my ZST is to compare unfortunately. Don't have an ES3 or ZS6. I did listen to the ES3 briefly though and though it was really good. Similar to the ZST but more refined. Might pick one up at some point if I see a worthwhile sale.

Not true on that only one comment. I thought the imaging was awful and said so from the outset. I also think the mids are buried but can be brought out some with eq if you are willing to tweak some.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,230 of 31,833
Not true on that only one comment. I thought the imaging was awful and said so from the outset. I also think the mids are buried but can be brought out some with eq if you are willing to tweak some.

Oh, my bad. EQing certainly helps, but people around here seem to be averse to tweaking the stock sound, which I get. Some earphones can be transformed from "Crap!" to "Aw Snap!" if you put in the effort though. Brainwavz M100 is one. They have a very capable driver hidden under some unfortunate stock tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back