CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,826 of 31,839
The more I look at Auglamour RT-1 the more I like it. To my eyes, it looks way more premium than most totl universal iems in this form factor (even stuff over 1k, 2k, 3k $ etc.) and I am sure that it will feel that way as well, given how amazing RX-1 build is. The only thing that was wrong was the cable, and even if they didn't improve, it's removable now :beyersmile:
Also, a round of applause for Auglamour's unique designs at this price point (looking at you KZ ZS6 and other copy/paste 'designs').
If you look at their earbud is epic cool too

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #3,827 of 31,839
The more I look at Auglamour RT-1 the more I like it. To my eyes, it looks way more premium than most totl universal iems in this form factor (even stuff over 1k, 2k, 3k $ etc.) and I am sure that it will feel that way as well, given how amazing RX-1 build is. The only thing that was wrong was the cable, and even if they didn't improve, it's removable now :beyersmile:
Also, a round of applause for Auglamour's unique designs at this price point (looking at you KZ ZS6 and other copy/paste 'designs').
I love both RT-1 AND Svara red, but again, RT1'S design and the accessories it comes with makes me more inclined towards RT1 (the iem looks very comfortable) :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,828 of 31,839
I love both RT-1 AND Svara red, but again, RT1'S design and the accessories it comes with makes me more inclined towards RT1 (the iem looks very comfortable) :)

Svara Red comes with waterproof hard case (worth 10$) and amazing cable. You ought to rethink that accessories statement.
Both of these designs look comfortable and usable, RT-1 looks much better to me though, but I wouldn't dismiss Red just based on looks alone.

When it comes to sound, I am leaning towards Red due to single dynamic driver (hybrids have disappointed me over and over again in the budget segment). Obviously, this statement is only about driver design and how these 2 sound is yet to be talked about once more people have acquired them.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,829 of 31,839
Svara Red comes with waterproof hard case (worth 10$) and amazing cable. You ought to rethink that accessories statement.
Both of these designs look comfortable and usable, RT-1 looks much better to me though, but I wouldn't dismiss Red just based on looks alone.

When it comes to sound, I am leaning towards Red due to single dynamic driver (hybrids have disappointed me over and over again in the budget segment). Obviously, this statement is only about driver design and how these 2 sound is yet to be talked about once more people have acquired them.

I see, do you have any information about how amazing the cables of Svara are? I tried searching for reviews and only got bits of information here and there.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,830 of 31,839
I see, do you have any information about how amazing the cables of Svara are? I tried searching for reviews and only got bits of information here and there.

The only info I could ever find about Svara Red is from @HungryPanda
He has a lot of experience and he said that cable is amazing. It can be purchased on it's own, but I think only from the banned seller for around 10$.
According to him, it isn't springy and can get straight. L shaped connector and looks good. Not really much more anyone could want from a cable at this price point to be honest.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,831 of 31,839
Gearbest is only selling counterfeit Xiaomi Pro HD at the current moment. They are trying to find how the fakes got into their supply chain. So until then I would forget about Pro HD from gearbest right now.

Also, strike the Rock Zircon from your list. They are bass bass and more bass. And Rock is nice enough to also include a pair of 12” subwoofers in the retail box, so you can strap them to your head for good measure just in case the zircons didn’t already have enough bass for you as-is.

I don’t have the ES3, Blitzwolf, or the Boarseman, so my vote from your list would be the Urbanfun HiFi hybrid or the KZ ZS5.

Be aware that a lot of sellers only have the ZS5 v2, so you’ll really want to try and find the original v1 version if possible.

Wow, that's bad news for Pro HD. Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Ok, removed Rock Zircon from my list haha.
About ZS5, I haven't found any seller with the original v1 version. At least, not described in the product page. Is the v2 much worse?
Urbanfun seems to be a good option, but I just hate that green color. I could live with that through.
Would you have any other recommendation within this price range?

Is this on the side with the mic? Either way a buzzing sound like that is usually a failing connection most likely btw - but especially if it's on the mic side, typical point of failure. If you wanted to keep them you could try re-cabling them, but it really depends where the break is as to how hard/annoying that might be - if it's in the mic though you can just lop them off above that.

As for IEMs... of your list I only own the KZs and the Urbanfuns, and I haven't a clue what the JBLs sound like, so ... yeah take with a grain of salt! But I do listen to plenty of rock and for that:
  • I tend to pick the ZS5s for low volume listening - a lot of my listening is done at pretty low levels, so this is more often the case for me.
  • And the Urbanfuns for higher volume listening - they sound pretty lifeless at low volumes to me but quite amazing when I want to crank things up a bit.
  • I feel like the ES3s could sound pretty nice, but mine were broken and badly tuned, and while the broken issue seems pretty rare, the bad tuning seems more common (which is fixable but annoying). Too much bass for me though so I didn't bother replacing them.
As for old pop I find myself picking up the Urbanfuns (or some modded Seahf AWK-009s more frequently honestly) personally when I'm in that sort of mood, but that's not that often.

Also the included tips on the Urbanfun are... not a great experience imo, and I have my doubts how long the cable will last before needing to be replaced, but the IEM itself is built like a tank. I can't wear them comfortable over-ear though, so microphonics are a pretty big issue when moving around with them. But while I find myself picking the ZS5s more often for my music tastes, I find the Urbanfuns more versatile for other things like TV, movies, podcasts, etc, if that matters at all.

PS: All of my commentary is regarding the ZS5 v1 and Urbanfun v2, I have not tried the ZS5 v2 at all, and I only listened to an Urbanfun v1 very briefly well over a year ago.

No, the mic is on the left earpiece. The buzzing sound happens on the right earpiece. I'm already used to it, been living with that for like a year I believe. It was way more present on my previous LG G2. Now with my new Xiaomi Mi6 the buzzing sound is still there sometimes, but way less than before.

I haven't found any seller with ZS5 v1. I believe only v2 are avaliable these days.

I'm considering that Urbanfun, but to me it looks terrible with that green color haha.

That Seahf AWK-009 looks promissing. I'm more inclined to this one. @Vidal review said it's good to rock and it's quite cheap.

I'd suggest you take a look at @Vidal site. Lots of info on budget IEMs there: http://www.aproear.co.uk/

Thanks for the tip! Amazing site. Great work @Vidal !

I thought xiaomi mi6 didn't have a headphone jack?

I have been using KZ es3 with KZ bluetooth cable last coupe of days, quite nice combo. maybe a bit too much bass for all day listening though.
I think you could buy KZ bluetooth cable and both es3 and zst for ~$25 when gearbest have sales sometimes.

otherwise i also really like my urbanfun hifi, with KZ whirlwind tips.

Yeah, it does not have headphone jack but Xiaomi provides a typeC to 3.5mm adapter.
Thanks for the suggestion, will keep an eye on those!

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,832 of 31,839
I do love both my Svara Red iem and Svara-L earbud. I totally recommend both

IMG_20171010_152222[1].jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,836 of 31,839
I can listen to anything with the Svara Red, it is slightly V-shaped I found my sweet spot after tip rolling with the KZ starlines or RHA tips. I listen to EDM, Progressive Rock, Post-Rock, Pop, Americana, Jazz & Blues

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,837 of 31,839
About ZS5, I haven't found any seller with the original v1 version. At least, not described in the product page. Is the v2 much worse?
v2 has a big spike in treble energy centered on 10kHz. I don't own them, but reports seem to be that depending on your hearing bias, this can either make them sound even more amazingly detailed, or annoyingly bright compared to the v1. Chi-foam tips are reported to do a great job of taming the treble spike if you like foam tips as opposed to silicone.
Urbanfun seems to be a good option, but I just hate that green color. I could live with that through.
They come in black too, but if you decide to go that route just make sure you're getting one with a grey cable (hybrid), not a black cable (beryllium DD) if you want the hybrid v2.
That Seahf AWK-009 looks promissing. I'm more inclined to this one. @Vidal review said it's good to rock and it's quite cheap.
A quick nod to @Vidal's tip selection (foamies for life!). I'd say my experience with more typical silicone tips falls a bit closer to @crabdog on these and I typically use them only with chi-foam tips to bring their slightly hot treble to a more happy place. I also frequently tinker with damping materials on them to good effect, though as long as I have some chi-foams handy I don't feel like they explicitly need it.

Together those three are pretty much my daily drivers, but my gear selection is pretty limited these days. :shrug:

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,838 of 31,839
I can listen to anything with the Svara Red, it is slightly V-shaped I found my sweet spot after tip rolling with the KZ starlines or RHA tips. I listen to EDM, Progressive Rock, Post-Rock, Pop, Americana, Jazz & Blues

Ok, so a good amount of similar music tastes. Character wise is it more musical n warm, neutral or analytical?

Mainly considering Veedix NC50, PMV A-01 MK2, Flare Audio R2A.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,839 of 31,839
v2 has a big spike in treble energy centered on 10kHz. I don't own them, but reports seem to be that depending on your hearing bias, this can either make them sound even more amazingly detailed, or annoyingly bright compared to the v1. Chi-foam tips are reported to do a great job of taming the treble spike if you like foam tips as opposed to silicone.

They come in black too, but if you decide to go that route just make sure you're getting one with a grey cable (hybrid), not a black cable (beryllium DD) if you want the hybrid v2.

A quick nod to @Vidal's tip selection (foamies for life!). I'd say my experience with more typical silicone tips falls a bit closer to @crabdog on these and I typically use them only with chi-foam tips to bring their slightly hot treble to a more happy place. I also frequently tinker with damping materials on them to good effect, though as long as I have some chi-foams handy I don't feel like they explicitly need it.

Together those three are pretty much my daily drivers, but my gear selection is pretty limited these days. :shrug:

Thanks for your answers. I think I'll go for the KZ ZS5 first. I'm also looking for a cheap bluetooth gamepad and at Gearbest I can get the ZS5 + Gamped + Shipping to Brazil for just $26. It's perfect for my budget haha.

I also forgot to mention that I've owned a KZ ZS3 for like 2 months ( I lost it somehow.. still believe that it's just hidden somewhere in my house.. ) and as far as I remember overall I enjoyned it more than my current JBL T100A.

I believe that even this v2 can be enough to me since I'm nothing close to an audiophile.To be honest I can't understand mostly of the things you guys talk here :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,840 of 31,839
Well I was a bit spoiled today. I received my package from Vsonic with both the New VSD3S and the GR07 Classic (removable cable version).

Though the GR07 doesn't quite make the sub $100 price tag, both of them offer sound quality that is nothing short of impressive.

It's still to early to do A/B testing since I'm still in the honeymoon period but even this early on I feel confident in saying the GR07 is as good as many others claim it to be and the VSD3S was very surprising both in terms of comfort and sound quality which exceeded my expectations and I'd dare even say might be better than even my Fiio F9 despite costing me close to a quarter of the price.

I will post further impression later on, and most likely a review, but until then I will enjoying these immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back