CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #3,797 of 31,833
A bunch of research I've been skimming over recently tends to suggest correlations between sound stage size and phase response cleanliness.
(smaller sound stage = less clean phase response)

Just a bit of food for thought :wink:

(not a test most people can do at home though, need ~5-8 MHz sample rates to get clean measurements in the audio band on that sort of stuff)

PS: I know, no references, etc... Not trying to start anything here! Just meant it as a fun random aside about how these intricacies of the human audio perception are actually getting studied at the moment and some rather neat correlations seem to be suggested.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,798 of 31,833
Hey guys looking for suggestions. Im looking for a fun bassy/punchy headphone with present vocals and smooth treble. I discovered I'm slightly treble sensitive, I think the ed9 would be the edge of my treble zone. Over ear and under $20 is preferred.

So far I'm looking at the KZ ES3 or the Qkz DM300

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #3,799 of 31,833
Hey guys looking for suggestions. Im looking for a fun bassy/punchy headphone with present vocals and smooth treble. I discovered I'm slightly treble sensitive, I think the ed9 would be the edge of my treble zone. Over ear and under $20 is preferred.

So far I'm looking at the KZ ES3 or the Qkz DM300

Thanks!
es3 would be a good choice; alternatively try the boarseman kr-49, which is one of the best for a bassy signature

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,800 of 31,833
☆☆☆ IEM’S ☆☆☆

Seems like I'll probably need to spend up to around $100 or buy 2 pairs IEM (totaling - $100) though I prefer 1 great pair. Then possibly upgrade the cable if possible (maybe a Morrow Audio cable or ?)

Good to superb musicality comes 1st I guess. I enjoy getting lost in the music and it's emotions while simultaneously in that zone seemlessly picking up and enjoying the soundstage, air, imaging and to a small lesser extent all levels of details. Best way I can describe character is akin to a quality MIJ analog stereo being middle ground, good quality all digital stereo being more analytical and detailed w tight bass, while a superb high end cryo NOS valve stereo being the musical, alive, warm, spacious and naturally detailed but lacks some in sub bass stereo with some quality alnico drivers mixed in, albeit out of my price range.

Digital--Analog--Valve
1-2~3-4~5-6~7-8~9-10

I'd be in the analog valve hybrid to valve area of 7-9 range if that tracks/makes sense.

So....

Good quality of layering but not congested, everything flows well and is cohesive. Accurate to superb imaging with some air between instruments, above average or better width and height with good or better depth to 3D soundstage. Solid detail and clarity throughout spectrum.

Good Quality, musical, warmish, balanced, decently airy, clean, clear and crisp mids are important for guitars, strings and voices, especially female as 70% of music is female voiced with other 30% male voices mostly in wide rock genre (1960s to heavy Prog rock like Tool) maybe a tad above the mix but not shouty or overpowering.

Treble that's musical, lively and sweet but extended and decently smooth with decent air, Sparkle and detail, but minimal sibilance. Maybe a bit above to fair bit above rest of mix in terms of level.

Bass that's controlled, clear and tight with slight warmish tonality at moderate level, decent weight to notes, not muddy or overpowering, balanced with rest of EQ with out much if any negative effects into mids. So that a nice rock or Reggae bass guitar isn't lost or overpowering in audible range to the mix.

Sub-bass that tight, clean and clear, somewhere between neutralish and warmish, ok depth, not too overpowering but not missing in general mainstream music, though this is a bit more towards bottom of priorities overall.

Microphonics in cable are of some concern. As is a quality, lasting and tangle/memory type cable. Even better if it's upgradable.

A genral play/pause and or volume control remote would be nice bonus but not required.

Strain reliefs or anti strain design would be nice. Prefer in ear devices versus the in ear with ear loop or earbuds over ear, but again sound outweighs that preference.

So here's a list of them, mostly based 160 list by Vidal, that would seem to be solid choices for me.

Which if these would best fit my sound preferences? (regardless of the $10-$100+ prices/values in my list)

Headphone List:

***** Flare Audio R2A, R2S

**** Veedix NC50

*** Boarseman CX98

*** Urbanfun HiFi

** DZAT DF-10 (wood)

** Shozy Zero (wood?, very musical)

* Magosi BK50

* Mannhas C190

* Boarseman KR25D

* LZ 203A

* Seahf AWK-009/1009

* VE Asura 2.0

* Accutone Pisces HD

* TY Hi-Z G3

* KZ ZS5

* KZ ED9

- HiSound Audio Flamenco (wood, not same level as others but extremely musical)

Hope I figured this out with your suggestions and lists to read.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #3,801 of 31,833
☆☆☆ IEM’S ☆☆☆

Seems like I'll probably need to spend up to around $100 or buy 2 pairs IEM (totaling - $100) though I prefer 1 great pair. Then possibly upgrade the cable if possible (maybe a Morrow Audio cable or ?)

I can't comment on any of your short-listed earphones as I have never heard any of them. However, spending $150+ (assuming you go for the cheapest Morrow) on a cable for cheap headphones (if you are indeed lucky to find a set with removeables) seems a tad frivolous. I use Morrow interconnect (MA3 & MA4) cables on my non-portable gear but have never tried their headphone cables. Nonetheless, cables worth more than than the device it's connected to is unnecessary overkill.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,802 of 31,833
☆☆☆ IEM’S ☆☆☆

Good to superb musicality comes 1st I guess. I enjoy getting lost in the music and it's emotions while simultaneously in that zone seemlessly picking up and enjoying the soundstage, air, imaging and to a small lesser extent all levels of details. Best way I can describe character is akin to a quality MIJ analog stereo being middle ground, good quality all digital stereo being more analytical and detailed w tight bass, while a superb high end cryo NOS valve stereo being the musical, alive, warm, spacious and naturally detailed but lacks some in sub bass stereo with some quality alnico drivers mixed in, albeit out of my price range.

Digital--Analog--Valve
1-2~3-4~5-6~7-8~9-10

I'd be in the analog valve hybrid to valve area of 7-9 range if that tracks/makes sense.
☆☆☆ IEM’S ☆☆☆

Digital--Analog--Valve
1-2~3-4~5-6~7-8~9-10

So....

Good quality of layering but not congested, everything flows well and is cohesive. Accurate to superb imaging with some air between instruments, above average or better width and height with good or better depth to 3D soundstage. Solid detail and clarity throughout spectrum.

Good Quality, musical, warmish, balanced, decently airy, clean, clear and crisp mids are important for guitars, strings and voices, especially female as 70% of music is female voiced with other 30% male voices mostly in wide rock genre (1960s to heavy Prog rock like Tool) maybe a tad above the mix but not shouty or overpowering.

Treble that's musical, lively and sweet but extended and decently smooth with decent air, Sparkle and detail, but minimal sibilance. Maybe a bit above to fair bit above rest of mix in terms of level.

Bass that's controlled, clear and tight with slight warmish tonality at moderate level, decent weight to notes, not muddy or overpowering, balanced with rest of EQ with out much if any negative effects into mids. So that a nice rock or Reggae bass guitar isn't lost or overpowering in audible range to the mix.

Sub-bass that tight, clean and clear, somewhere between neutralish and warmish, ok depth, not too overpowering but not missing in general mainstream music, though this is a bit more towards bottom of priorities overall.

Microphonics in cable are of some concern. As is a quality, lasting and tangle/memory type cable. Even better if it's upgradable.

A genral play/pause and or volume control remote would be nice bonus but not required.

Strain reliefs or anti strain design would be nice. Prefer in ear devices versus the in ear with ear loop or earbuds over ear, but again sound outweighs that preference.

So here's a list of them, mostly based 160 list by Vidal, that would seem to be solid choices for me.

Which if these would best fit my sound preferences? (regardless of the $10-$100+ prices/values in my list)

Headphone List:

**** Veedix NC50

*** Boarseman CX98

*** Urbanfun HiFi

** DZAT DF-10 (wood)

* Magosi BK50

* Mannhas C190

* Boarseman KR25D

* LZ 203A

* Seahf AWK-009/1009

* VE Asura 2.0

* Accutone Pisces HD

* TY Hi-Z G3

* KZ ZS5

* KZ ED9

So....

Headphone List:

**** Veedix NC50

*** Boarseman CX98

*** Urbanfun HiFi

** DZAT DF-10 (wood)

* Magosi BK50

* Mannhas C190

* Boarseman KR25D

* LZ 203A

* Seahf AWK-009/1009

* VE Asura 2.0

* Accutone Pisces HD

* TY Hi-Z G3

* KZ ZS5

* KZ ED9

if i grasp your desires, i'd strongly recommend the pmv a01mkIi, which you can get for around $50--it's got that indefinable analog quality. the simgot en700 at $100 is even better, albeit not twice as good. i'd also throw in the einsear t2, which is around $10 but looks like it ticks your boxes. you can see our opinions on vidal's site.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,804 of 31,833
The PMV A-01 MK2 sound like they'll probably be in top 3 consideration.

I wasn't expecting nearly the amount and type of changes I got w Morrow in my cheaper 1991 MIJ Sony (which I greatly prefer over $1k-2k stereo I've heard) but it was worth while enough to have cables worth far more it's value. I was skeptical and why 60 day return was big selling point with me. Even just the 3.5mm to stereo RCA was noticeable and worth while improvement. Also did some mods w extra raw wire Mike sent me w good results. Plus you can usually get great deals if patient enough.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #3,805 of 31,833
i recently bought the Seahf AWK 009 on a whim because it's discounted at my local shop...and i am very happy that i did. The tuning is great, i even like it better than my Einsear T2 (now my wife's) and KZ ZS5 that i sold not long after buying. soundstage is wide, bass is great, and although the treble is grainy on some music, but the tuning and amount is great for me. it is sibilant the first time i took it out of the box, but after i leave it a few hours of playing some music at moderately loud volume, when i came back to listen the treble has smoothen out.

by the way the stock tips are really bad, so i am using Ortofon tips on them

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,806 of 31,833
Superlux HD381b has now become my first choice for casual listening, there ain't much fault you can find with them, very relaxing for long sessions.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,807 of 31,833
Headphone List:

***** Flare Audio R2A

*** Boarseman CX98

*** Urbanfun HiFi

** DZAT DF-10 (wood)

* Magosi BK50

* Mannhas C190

* Boarseman KR25D

* LZ Z03A

* Seahf AWK-009/1009

* TY Hi-Z G3

* KZ ZS5

* KZ ED9

- HiSound Audio Flamenco (wood, not same level as others but extremely musical).

I have heard all of the above - of those I would pick Ty HiZ G3 and KZ ZS5 - but you might want to wait a bit as there's a new G3 coming soon. I'll be ordering and reviewing ASAP.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,810 of 31,833
Hey guys, noobie here looking for suggestions. I only listen to rock and it's subgenres basically (from Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Chris Cornell, Kings of Leon to Bon Jovi, Aersosmith, Richie Kotzen, Metallica, Beatles etc ) but sometimes some old pop/disco from 70s - 80s ( Elton John, BeeGees, ABBA, A-ha etc ) Well, 80% of time only rock. I don't like eletronic, hip hop etc, so I believe bass is not that important to me.

My budget is around $20 ~ $25.
Availability through Gearbest would be nice.
I will be using it mostly on my smartphone Xiaomi Mi6.

I've made some research and came across those options, but don't know which one would be better for my kind of use.
- Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD
- Blitzwolf Vox1
- Superlux HD381F
- KZ ES3/ ZS5
- Boarseman CX98
- Urbanfun Dual drivers earphones (DD+BA
- Rock Zircon Nano

At the momment, I'm using a JBL T100A. I kinda like it, but sometimes I hear some strange noise on the right earphone. I don't know how to describe it in English, but it's something like a zzzzzzz or xxxxxxx annoying sound. Maybe I'm just crazy, don't know haha.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back