CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,811 of 31,833
Hey guys, noobie here looking for suggestions. I only listen to rock and it's subgenres basically (from Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Chris Cornell, Kings of Leon to Bon Jovi, Aersosmith, Richie Kotzen, Metallica, Beatles etc ) but sometimes some old pop/disco from 70s - 80s ( Elton John, BeeGees, ABBA, A-ha etc ) Well, 80% of time only rock. I don't like eletronic, hip hop etc, so I believe bass is not that important to me.

My budget is around $20 ~ $25.
Availability through Gearbest would be nice.
I will be using it mostly on my smartphone Xiaomi Mi6.

I've made some research and came across those options, but don't know which one would be better for my kind of use.
- Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD
- Blitzwolf Vox1
- Superlux HD381F
- KZ ES3/ ZS5
- Boarseman CX98
- Urbanfun Dual drivers earphones (DD+BA
- Rock Zircon Nano

At the momment, I'm using a JBL T100A. I kinda like it, but sometimes I hear some strange noise on the right earphone. I don't know how to describe it in English, but it's something like a zzzzzzz or xxxxxxx annoying sound. Maybe I'm just crazy, don't know haha.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
HI, also noobie here, from your list I have only tried the KZ ES3 and ZS5. I love these KZ ZS5, with a better cable and foam tips they sound great, from an absolute noobie point of view at least. The whole package KZ ZS5, new cable and foam tips (if stock tips are not your thing) is below 25 USD, you can´t go wrong with them I think.
I am sure that someone with more knowledge will help you better, this is just an opinion from a fellow noobie.:)

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,812 of 31,833
HI, also noobie here, from your list I have only tried the KZ ES3 and ZS5. I love these KZ ZS5, with a better cable and foam tips they sound great, from an absolute noobie point of view at least. The whole package KZ ZS5, new cable and foam tips (if stock tips are not your thing) is below 25 USD, you can´t go wrong with them I think.
I am sure that someone with more knowledge will help you better, this is just an opinion from a fellow noobie.:)
Thanks for the feedback! Could you share the links of the cable and foam tips you mentioned pls?

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,813 of 31,833
Hey guys, noobie here looking for suggestions. I only listen to rock and it's subgenres basically (from Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Chris Cornell, Kings of Leon to Bon Jovi, Aersosmith, Richie Kotzen, Metallica, Beatles etc ) but sometimes some old pop/disco from 70s - 80s ( Elton John, BeeGees, ABBA, A-ha etc ) Well, 80% of time only rock. I don't like eletronic, hip hop etc, so I believe bass is not that important to me.

I've made some research and came across those options, but don't know which one would be better for my kind of use.
- Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD
- Blitzwolf Vox1
- Superlux HD381F
- KZ ES3/ ZS5
- Boarseman CX98
- Rock Zircon Nano

At the momment, I'm using a JBL T100A. I kinda like it, but sometimes I hear some strange noise on the right earphone. I don't know how to describe it in English, but it's something like a zzzzzzz or xxxxxxx annoying sound. Maybe I'm just crazy, don't know haha.

Gearbest is only selling counterfeit Xiaomi Pro HD at the current moment. They are trying to find how the fakes got into their supply chain. So until then I would forget about Pro HD from gearbest right now.

Also, strike the Rock Zircon from your list. They are bass bass and more bass. And Rock is nice enough to also include a pair of 12” subwoofers in the retail box, so you can strap them to your head for good measure just in case the zircons didn’t already have enough bass for you as-is.

I don’t have the ES3, Blitzwolf, or the Boarseman, so my vote from your list would be the Urbanfun HiFi hybrid or the KZ ZS5.

Be aware that a lot of sellers only have the ZS5 v2, so you’ll really want to try and find the original v1 version if possible.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,814 of 31,833
Is this on the side with the mic? Either way a buzzing sound like that is usually a failing connection most likely btw - but especially if it's on the mic side, typical point of failure. If you wanted to keep them you could try re-cabling them, but it really depends where the break is as to how hard/annoying that might be - if it's in the mic though you can just lop them off above that.

As for IEMs... of your list I only own the KZs and the Urbanfuns, and I haven't a clue what the JBLs sound like, so ... yeah take with a grain of salt! But I do listen to plenty of rock and for that:
  • I tend to pick the ZS5s for low volume listening - a lot of my listening is done at pretty low levels, so this is more often the case for me.
  • And the Urbanfuns for higher volume listening - they sound pretty lifeless at low volumes to me but quite amazing when I want to crank things up a bit.
  • I feel like the ES3s could sound pretty nice, but mine were broken and badly tuned, and while the broken issue seems pretty rare, the bad tuning seems more common (which is fixable but annoying). Too much bass for me though so I didn't bother replacing them.
As for old pop I find myself picking up the Urbanfuns (or some modded Seahf AWK-009s more frequently honestly) personally when I'm in that sort of mood, but that's not that often.

Also the included tips on the Urbanfun are... not a great experience imo, and I have my doubts how long the cable will last before needing to be replaced, but the IEM itself is built like a tank. I can't wear them comfortable over-ear though, so microphonics are a pretty big issue when moving around with them. But while I find myself picking the ZS5s more often for my music tastes, I find the Urbanfuns more versatile for other things like TV, movies, podcasts, etc, if that matters at all.

PS: All of my commentary is regarding the ZS5 v1 and Urbanfun v2, I have not tried the ZS5 v2 at all, and I only listened to an Urbanfun v1 very briefly well over a year ago.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #3,815 of 31,833
Oct 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,816 of 31,833

- Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD
- Blitzwolf Vox1
- Superlux HD381F
- KZ ES3/ ZS5
- Boarseman CX98
- Rock Zircon Nano

I'd suggest you take a look at @Vidal site. Lots of info on budget IEMs there: http://www.aproear.co.uk/

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #3,817 of 31,833

I thought xiaomi mi6 didn't have a headphone jack?

I have been using KZ es3 with KZ bluetooth cable last coupe of days, quite nice combo. maybe a bit too much bass for all day listening though.
I think you could buy KZ bluetooth cable and both es3 and zst for ~$25 when gearbest have sales sometimes.

otherwise i also really like my urbanfun hifi, with KZ whirlwind tips.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #3,818 of 31,833
Auglamour's newest flagship- they were silent for one year and a half, releasing a amp before launching and releasing its newest model RT-1. While stocks aren't available yet, and the dealer is overseas so I'll only be able to get my hands on this iem on 21st, it looks really nice- they promised comfort and audio quality, and its price is below 100 (60 dollars i think)
1 dd and 1 ba driver i think.
145755ynpn3887k1e8pf8k.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #3,820 of 31,833
Auglamour's newest flagship- they were silent for one year and a half, releasing a amp before launching and releasing its newest model RT-1. While stocks aren't available yet, and the dealer is overseas so I'll only be able to get my hands on this iem on 21st, it looks really nice- they promised comfort and audio quality, and its price is below 100 (60 dollars i think)
1 dd and 1 ba driver i think.
145755ynpn3887k1e8pf8k.jpg

They look beyond amazing and very futuristic. I really hope that they come in this color combination. Things to look forward are good sound and a nice price drop for 11.11.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #3,821 of 31,833
Why does the tip holder have a serrated edge? :thinking:
Not to mention a bottle cap opener :laughing: Perhaps it's some kind of audiophile survival kit!

Very interested in this though. Auglamour has some of the most interesting/original designs and stellar packaging presentation and accessories.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #3,822 of 31,833
Not to mention a bottle cap opener :laughing: Perhaps it's some kind of audiophile survival kit!

I guess they're pretty confident when it comes to the old "if you could only take one which earphones would you bring with you to a deserted island?" question. :deadhorse:

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #3,823 of 31,833
I guess they're pretty confident when it comes to the old "if you could only take one which earphones would you bring with you to a deserted island?" question. :deadhorse:

All of the photos are prototypes, we still don't know how the final packaging will look like. There are photos with white or black tips, all kinds of shell colors, 2 different cables...

21765685_2185247748368455_8854688963099015216_o.jpg

21369521_2177047489188481_898489369385421534_n.jpg

I really didn't need another pair to consider, right now it's: Svara Red, TinAudio T2, Macaw GT600s, upcoming Ty-Hi-Z G3 or this Auglmour RT-1. The problem is that all of these are relatively new and information is scarce, but they all appear to be very very good.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #3,824 of 31,833
Well... AuGlamour certainly nailed the aesthetic. Lets see if they nailed the sound.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #3,825 of 31,833
The more I look at Auglamour RT-1 the more I like it. To my eyes, it looks way more premium than most totl universal iems in this form factor (even stuff over 1k, 2k, 3k $ etc.) and I am sure that it will feel that way as well, given how amazing RX-1 build is. The only thing that was wrong was the cable, and even if they didn't improve, it's removable now :beyersmile:
Also, a round of applause for Auglamour's unique designs at this price point (looking at you KZ ZS6 and other copy/paste 'designs').

Users who are viewing this thread

Back