CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 20, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #31,456 of 31,834
Speaking of the RU6, I just scored one and it is beyond impressive. The way it tames bright IEMs without masking the transients and how it makes the overall listening experience musical is not subtle. Plug it in with some planars and off ya go. For planars, it is a must. They sing! What a combination! That slight 'blank' on volume adjust is about every 10 steps and merely a nano-second pause, really. Once set, I don't touch the volume and a less-than-10 step pause-free adjust range is adequate. I'm cruising at 50% on Diokos. They were made for each other. I consider this purchase one of the best I've made in this space. :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #31,457 of 31,834
Speaking of the RU6, I just scored one and it is beyond impressive. The way it tames bright IEMs without masking the transients and how it makes the overall listening experience musical is not subtle. Plug it in with some planars and off ya go. For planars, it is a must. They sing! What a combination! That slight 'blank' on volume adjust is about every 10 steps and merely a nano-second pause, really. Once set, I don't touch the volume and a less-than-10 step pause-free adjust range is adequate. I'm cruising at 50% on Diokos. They were made for each other. I consider this purchase one of the best I've made in this space. :)

Haha could I tempt you with the RU7?

It is the bigger brother to the RU6, less warm/analoguish, but definitely RU7 has superior technical chops - imaging, micro-detailing, soundstage, resolution. RU7 also has more power to drive more demanding gear, and fixes the EMI/Hiss issues of the RU6.

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #31,458 of 31,834
Haha could I tempt you with the RU7?

It is the bigger brother to the RU6, less warm/analoguish, but definitely RU7 has superior technical chops - imaging, micro-detailing, soundstage, resolution. RU7 also has more power to drive more demanding gear, and fixes the EMI/Hiss issues of the RU6.
Yes, perhaps you can. I am not aware of EMI/Hiss in my initial impressions however. Sounds mighty musical, with planars especially. I just get lost…

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #31,459 of 31,834
Yes, perhaps you can. I am not aware of EMI/Hiss in my initial impressions however. Sounds mighty musical, with planars especially. I just get lost…I’m rather partial to planars having lived with Magnapans and class A tube gear for many years. Give me musicality all the way and this RU6 fills that bill.

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #31,460 of 31,834
Yes, perhaps you can. I am not aware of EMI/Hiss in my initial impressions however. Sounds mighty musical, with planars especially. I just get lost…

RU6 is a very musical dongle for sure.

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #31,462 of 31,834
I bought an EA500 and for me it was a good choice. I kept the Olin SE. The difference between the two is big enough to keep both models.
All in all, I heard enough mixed reviews (not public) to skip the Sennheisers (also relative to the higher models) even despite the potential listening opportunity.
If you would have to recommend one, which will it be?

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #31,463 of 31,834
If you would have to recommend one, which will it be?
I would choose EA500 with good "long" tips. I can tolerate bit of harshness. If you haven't tolerance to this additional shine in hf, get Olina SE.
For me there's few sidegrades: Truthears Hexa or CCA HM20 for example, with their advantages.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #31,464 of 31,834
I have the EA500, they are so pratical, with great sound that made me think. I want a leap forward in iem's (i am selling all my full size headphones). Something with great soundstage and sound quality.

Top picks:

Thieaudio Monarch mk2
Goldplanar amt16
Xenns Top
letshuouer ej07

50%music
30%gaming (athmospheric story driven games)
20%netflix

What do you guys think?

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #31,465 of 31,834
I have the EA500, they are so pratical, with great sound that made me think. I want a leap forward in iem's (i am selling all my full size headphones). Something with great soundstage and sound quality.

Top picks:

Thieaudio Monarch mk2
Goldplanar amt16
Xenns Top
letshuouer ej07

50%music
30%gaming (athmospheric story driven games)
20%netflix

What do you guys think?
Ej07 has nice imaging, but its more on the intimaye side of stage. Its a nice all-rounder if you like warm-tunings.

On similar price range you could find fh7s, with tuning filters, best scene a more bass (wich is best for netflix or gaming)

Monarch mk2 is too relaxed for my taste, and I will pick variations over them.

Xenns top looks nice, but I will like to try before purchasing, its a risky bet to spend 600€... But in HifiGuides you got a specific thread about it.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #31,466 of 31,834
Ej07 has nice imaging, but its more on the intimaye side of stage. Its a nice all-rounder if you like warm-tunings.

On similar price range you could find fh7s, with tuning filters, best scene a more bass (wich is best for netflix or gaming)

Monarch mk2 is too relaxed for my taste, and I will pick variations over them.

Xenns top looks nice, but I will like to try before purchasing, its a risky bet to spend 600€... But in HifiGuides you got a specific thread about it.
thank you, The problem is that i live in a island in the middle of Atlantic, i cannot test them... I bet ea500 would be good and i was blown away by sound quality.

Im intrigued by all this hi-fi iem's, i prefer the simgot then my fullsize audeze lcd-xc. its strange af.

Jul 3, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #31,467 of 31,834
thank you, The problem is that i live in a island in the middle of Atlantic, i cannot test them... I bet ea500 would be good and i was blown away by sound quality.

Im intrigued by all this hi-fi iem's, i prefer the simgot then my fullsize audeze lcd-xc. its strange af.
IEMs are trully different from headphones, like more intense, more "in your head".

Ive got a nice collection of headphones, but If I have to choose, I prefer iems (portability, comfy...)

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #31,469 of 31,834
Good to know this thread is still going strong!

My life is about reading/following this thread for few months, choosing few most recent champtions, buying and sticking to it for a year, and then coming back in the expectation that new generation of chi fi iems has better sound for the same price. It has worked well for years. My most recent "find" - I suspect over a year ago - was Square Planar+BA gem called Kinera Celest Gumiho. It has incredible detail without piercing (I am a bit treble-sensitive), impressive extension on both ends and a somewhat intimate but incredibly well-layered soundstage.

Now I am really keen to see if in the alst 12 months better options became available on the market, ideally for USD50-60, but I could go up to USD 100 for a right item. When I say "better", I certainly mean my own subjective "better" but based on the fact that I like neutral, detailed signatures with deep low bass but not necessarily strong or punchy mid-bass, what is the alternative you think I should try?

From reading recent posts, seems like Simgot (which is a brand I don't remember) has some interesting offering that may fit the bill? EA500 or EW200?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #31,470 of 31,834
Good to know this thread is still going strong!

My life is about reading/following this thread for few months, choosing few most recent champtions, buying and sticking to it for a year, and then coming back in the expectation that new generation of chi fi iems has better sound for the same price. It has worked well for years. My most recent "find" - I suspect over a year ago - was Square Planar+BA gem called Kinera Celest Gumiho. It has incredible detail without piercing (I am a bit treble-sensitive), impressive extension on both ends and a somewhat intimate but incredibly well-layered soundstage.

Now I am really keen to see if in the alst 12 months better options became available on the market, ideally for USD50-60, but I could go up to USD 100 for a right item. When I say "better", I certainly mean my own subjective "better" but based on the fact that I like neutral, detailed signatures with deep low bass but not necessarily strong or punchy mid-bass, what is the alternative you think I should try?

From reading recent posts, seems like Simgot (which is a brand I don't remember) has some interesting offering that may fit the bill? EA500 or EW200?

You can read about the Truthear HEXA. Neutral with sub-bass boost (dearth of mid-bass). Decent technicalities.
Truthear_HEXA_Graph-1100x542.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back