CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #31,426 of 31,834
My RS2 just arrived from hifigo.com got say, what a lovely premium unboxing experience, really feels you've bought something special. Just updating the firmware and loading 1tb and 512gb cards of flac files got to say it's a beautiful form factor and perfect size for travel. Looking forward to spending some hours with it.

Will be getting the Shanling M1S soon too after the the M0 pro I'm really looking forward to it. I'm enjoying the pure music/no Android approach recently I also have the CAYIN N3pro which also eschews the "it's just a phone" approach

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #31,427 of 31,834
I think Paul have both....
@Wasaabi perhaps you can help mate?
Sorry @requal , never heard the JD7 either. JD7 looks good on paper, but the bit that sticks out, the part that people talk about on EA500, the treble extension looks better on EA500. At the other end, that gap in the bass, some people are modding the EA500 to close it and some people don't mention it. The other bits not captured on the graph, the driver performance which is another high point on EA500, I don't know how close the JD7 comes to EA500.

If you like to turn up the JD7 to 11 because it has a safe treble level, EA500 will be quite a bit brighter.
graph - 2023-03-30T112023.686.png

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #31,428 of 31,834
Thanks @paulwasabii
I was considering buying the JD7s, but I see great enthusiasm for the EA500s, so I was curious if anyone has compared them.
I'm looking for something to replace the Olina SEs, which seem too stifled (bad airflow?) and without depth sounding to me. Or maybe I should check IE200?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #31,429 of 31,834
I think Paul have both....
@Wasaabi perhaps you can help mate?
Sorry, never heard the JD7 either. JD7 looks good on paper, but the bit that sticks out, the part that people talk about on EA500, the treble extension looks better on EA500. At the other end, that gap in the bass, some people are modding the EA500 to close it and some people don't mention it. The other bits not captured on the graph, the driver performance which is another high point on EA500, I don't know how close the JD7 comes to EA500.

If you like to turn up the JD7 to 11 because it has a safe treble level, EA500 will be quite a bit brighter.

Thanks @paulwasabii
I was considering buying the JD7s, but I see great enthusiasm for the EA500s, so I was curious if anyone has compared them.
I'm looking for something to replace the Olina SEs, which seem too stifled (bad airflow?) and without depth sounding to me. Or maybe I should check IE200?
You are on the right track. EA500 is more open sounding than Olina SE as the tuning is slanted a bit more into the mids/treble on EA500. @drewbadour is an awesome dude who has tried both, here is the block from his ranking

1680204943340.png

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #31,431 of 31,834
I have the JD7 and they're the best all-arounder I've tried under $100. I sold the oft-praised Hexa because I liked the JD7 better in all respects.

But I almost bit on the EA500 in the last sale. I'd sure like a chance to compare them.
I just got the EA500, and my initial impressions is really good overall except for two things - it has a little less sub-bass than I like and the highs, while impressive, may be a little fatiguing for long listening sessions. I'm trying other eartips and will be doing some extended listening. (I don't have the JD7, but based on the graphs it might have been a better choice for me.)

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #31,432 of 31,834

The IE200 is quite meh IMHO.

The treble is grainy and it is very undynamic. Technicalities are bang average. Lousy stock cable (and the recessed housing thingy means a lot of aftermarket cables are not suitable for the IE200). Granted, it has more clarity than the usual Sennheiser midbass heavy veiled house sound, but I think Olina SE is cheaper than IE200 and performs in the same ballpark or slightly better.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #31,433 of 31,834
Sorry, never heard the JD7 either. JD7 looks good on paper, but the bit that sticks out, the part that people talk about on EA500, the treble extension looks better on EA500. At the other end, that gap in the bass, some people are modding the EA500 to close it and some people don't mention it. The other bits not captured on the graph, the driver performance which is another high point on EA500, I don't know how close the JD7 comes to EA500.

You are on the right track. EA500 is more open sounding than Olina SE as the tuning is slanted a bit more into the mids/treble on EA500. @drewbadour is an awesome dude who has tried both, here is the block from his ranking

1680204943340.png
tx for your input mate. JD7 seem interesting still, i read lot of trustable people enjoying them....alas i just own FD3 wich are meh...

oh and i did a comparison EA500 vs OG Olina and their no doubt EA500 sound more dynamic, crisp and open...

EA500 VS TRIPOWIN OLINA (1DD-100$)

Another one of best sub-100$ IEM technical performance wise, the Olina isn’t similar to EA500 and sound more dry neutral with smooth upper mids boost. Bass is more mellow in impact and lack dynamic, in fact, whole spectrum lack dynamic and feel tame in diversify loudness amplitude. So, the Olina feel more neutral but a bit more mid centric too, in the sens piano have more bodied presence and natural resonance and upper mids are different too, the EA500 female vocal are notably more fowards and bodied, and i can say the same (to a less extend) for male vocal, so I think it’s more about mid range presence that is more textured and fully resolve with Olina, yet presented in a leaner way that feel more distant and compressed in dynamic, we have more details going on but no sens of openess like the EA500 so mid range is less engaging, more contemplative. Olina is more prompt to sibilance, while EA500 to slight shoutyness or pinna gain fatigue (especially with stock eartips). Treble is thinner and more textured with the Olina, violin for example are more polished in texture but thicker sounding with the EA500. EA500 highs are more snappy, brilliant and sparky, as well as more airy and less compressed in dynamic. Sustain-release of Olina is more tamed-blunted, so splash cymbals sound less natural for ex, it dig more texture noise and detail, which is more prompt to timbral imbalance than more refined treble tuning of the EA500.
Spatiality this time is similar in wideness,but taller and deeper with the EA500. Imaging is less lean and compressed, making sound layer more articulated in deepness, presentation more 3D and holographic.

All in all, i just can’t enjoy the Olina after having listen to the EA500 which is more dynamic sounding, have better vocal and note weight as well as notably more open, natural and engaging musicality.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #31,434 of 31,834
I just got the EA500, and my initial impressions is really good overall except for two things - it has a little less sub-bass than I like and the highs, while impressive, may be a little fatiguing for long listening sessions. I'm trying other eartips and will be doing some extended listening. (I don't have the JD7, but based on the graphs it might have been a better choice for me.)
Just do the tape mod on nozzle vent turn into a smooth sub bass monster. I put half a 4mm x 3mm into the vent and converted with a little filter sounds amazing and doesn't kill and special sauce.
After some time if you still find it a tad spicy. Take the low density foams out of the black nozel and put them in the red nozzle.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #31,435 of 31,834
Oh sweet Jesus....To start this little overview I'm going to describe what I want from iems. FUN FUN FUN. I'm not a microscope for technicality kinda a guy.

I want atmosphere, emotion, to get lost in the music. Close my eyes and let the music take me someplace.

The Legato take me to a sweaty nightclub with the bass turned up to max. The bass notes making my chest vibrate, punching me in the stomach.

Forget finesse these iems beat you into submission.

AC/DC - Back in Black omg I'm transported back to the first time I heard it in a rock nightclub, sweat dripping from the ceiling. Thunderous heavy backing with piercing vocals fighting out the mix to great effect.

These iems are the anti simgot ea500 forget prim and proper rendition with fine etiquette these are steriod, vein popping bruisers.

Queen-Another one bites the dust wow! Authority of the groove is stunning the vocals perfectly rendered.

IMG_20230331_125625.jpg

The overall sound is THICK, BASS is dominant Treble is energetic enough to slice through the thunder
MIDS are warm with texture. This is not a set for "audiophiles" this set absolutely is a set for 10 pints of beer, a dark sweaty nightclub with a packed dance floor!

Imagine hanging a pair of 2 channel hifi speakers either side of your head with the bass bins feeding directly into your eardrums, that's the the 7Hz Legato.

I love them BASS HEAD nirvana!

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #31,437 of 31,834
Simgot EA500 Review

Just watched the EA500 review and that piqued my interest. Has anyone heard those? How are they?

EA500 is a really good budget single DD. Probably one of the best releases so far in 2023. Has 2 tuning options, so essentially you are getting 2 IEMs with a single purchase.

Great melding of technicalities, tonality and timbre in a little package, can compete with some $100 gear.
Nitpicks would be perhaps it isn't for bassheads and the upper midrange can bit slightly shouty on certain tuning nozzles.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #31,438 of 31,834
tx for your input mate. JD7 seem interesting still, i read lot of trustable people enjoying them....alas i just own FD3 wich are meh...

oh and i did a comparison EA500 vs OG Olina and their no doubt EA500 sound more dynamic, crisp and open...

EA500 VS TRIPOWIN OLINA (1DD-100$)

Another one of best sub-100$ IEM technical performance wise, the Olina isn’t similar to EA500 and sound more dry neutral with smooth upper mids boost. Bass is more mellow in impact and lack dynamic, in fact, whole spectrum lack dynamic and feel tame in diversify loudness amplitude. So, the Olina feel more neutral but a bit more mid centric too, in the sens piano have more bodied presence and natural resonance and upper mids are different too, the EA500 female vocal are notably more fowards and bodied, and i can say the same (to a less extend) for male vocal, so I think it’s more about mid range presence that is more textured and fully resolve with Olina, yet presented in a leaner way that feel more distant and compressed in dynamic, we have more details going on but no sens of openess like the EA500 so mid range is less engaging, more contemplative. Olina is more prompt to sibilance, while EA500 to slight shoutyness or pinna gain fatigue (especially with stock eartips). Treble is thinner and more textured with the Olina, violin for example are more polished in texture but thicker sounding with the EA500. EA500 highs are more snappy, brilliant and sparky, as well as more airy and less compressed in dynamic. Sustain-release of Olina is more tamed-blunted, so splash cymbals sound less natural for ex, it dig more texture noise and detail, which is more prompt to timbral imbalance than more refined treble tuning of the EA500.
Spatiality this time is similar in wideness,but taller and deeper with the EA500. Imaging is less lean and compressed, making sound layer more articulated in deepness, presentation more 3D and holographic.

All in all, i just can’t enjoy the Olina after having listen to the EA500 which is more dynamic sounding, have better vocal and note weight as well as notably more open, natural and engaging musicality.
Sweet. Olina SE is the best IEM for my ears I've came across, and from everything I can gather, while they are different, the EA500 is just better in many aspects for less money. Will definitely pick one up next Ali sale based on all of these glowing reviews

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #31,439 of 31,834
Oh sweet Jesus....To start this little overview I'm going to describe what I want from iems. FUN FUN FUN. I'm not a microscope for technicality kinda a guy.

I want atmosphere, emotion, to get lost in the music. Close my eyes and let the music take me someplace.

The Legato take me to a sweaty nightclub with the bass turned up to max. The bass notes making my chest vibrate, punching me in the stomach.

Forget finesse these iems beat you into submission.

AC/DC - Back in Black omg I'm transported back to the first time I heard it in a rock nightclub, sweat dripping from the ceiling. Thunderous heavy backing with piercing vocals fighting out the mix to great effect.

These iems are the anti simgot ea500 forget prim and proper rendition with fine etiquette these are steriod, vein popping bruisers.

Queen-Another one bites the dust wow! Authority of the groove is stunning the vocals perfectly rendered.

The overall sound is THICK, BASS is dominant Treble is energetic enough to slice through the thunder
MIDS are warm with texture. This is not a set for "audiophiles" this set absolutely is a set for 10 pints of beer, a dark sweaty nightclub with a packed dance floor!

Imagine hanging a pair of 2 channel hifi speakers either side of your head with the bass bins feeding directly into your eardrums, that's the the 7Hz Legato.

I love them BASS HEAD nirvana!
nice impressions sharing mate....hows the vocal and mids?

this review seem to say mids are strange...but its japanese translation...
https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/7Hz_Legato
i would be cautious about first run of reviewers since 7HZ are very carefull to who they send samples. let say i'm very aware of backdoor game of 7HZ. but i let it go. they have an official clan thats all. and you need to be very easy to domesticate to fit this clan.
but i find a way to get my hand on those and will review them in about 2 weeks. if they worth the care. lets just hope its not a QKZ Khan! (dont seem so graph wise)

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #31,440 of 31,834
nice impressions sharing mate....hows the vocal and mids?

this review seem to say mids are strange...but its japanese translation...
https://blog.ear-phone-review.com/entry/7Hz_Legato
i would be cautious about first run of reviewers since 7HZ are very carefull to who they send samples. let say i'm very aware of backdoor game of 7HZ. but i let it go. they have an official clan thats all. and you need to be very easy to domesticate to fit this clan.
but i find a way to get my hand on those and will review them in about 2 weeks. if they worth the care. lets just hope its not a QKZ Khan! (dont seem so graph wise)
As I insinuated they are not audiophile but they are quailty? I will say the muggy mid range and peaky treble even out and clear up after burn in apparently the resistor aray needs burning in.
They are in no way as accomplished as the Simgot EA500 but when used with right album they are adrenalized monsters with very exciting playback.
For me AC/DC and such bands sound terrific

Users who are viewing this thread

Back