CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #31,411 of 31,833
Hello everyone,

I'm no expert, not I can't consider myself an audiophile nor anything like it, I just want to have a moment of relaxation every now and then and listen and enjoy my music.

I have a KZ ZSN that I bought around 2 years ago or so, I love how it sounds, although obviously this is not perfect, but for what it cost it was a wonderful purchase, and I was thinking on upgrading to something better, so investing on a new IEM and a DAC, but the more I read and investigate, the more doubts I have...

I can't even say what is my preference in terms of sound signature honestly, although I would say that when treble hits too hard I don't feel much comfortable, so maybe I'm on the warmer/balanced side...

From everything I found, and trying to still make advantage of current discounts on "Ali-x", I was inclined to buy one of the following IEM, only and only based on the opinions and reviews I found online:
- JQ 4U Pro;
- Sound Rhyme SR5;
- Penon Fan 2.
(with the discounts, they will cost around 170/175€).

...or, could I be perfectly served with one of the two:
- Audiosense DT300;
- Letshuoer S12 Pro.

As for DAC's, the one that most came to my attention was the Xduoo Link2 Bal, but now that Fiio KA5 and Ibasso DC04 Pro were released, I'm not sure which would serve me better.

Thanks.
What type of music you listen to?
Link2 is warm and powerfull, spacious holographic musicality, hint of bass boost it seem too...i feel its over priced a bit, especially if we compare to Moondrop Dawn 4.4 which have cleaner more open and deep spatiality as well as better imaging-transparency. impedance output seem lower too, or its background that is blacker...
ive just try S12 and Fan2 in IEMs you state. Fan2 is superior to S12 in all department and for 170 its a great choice. it pair well with Dawn4.4 at low gain.

but its not an iem i would call warm, but crisply balanced, treble is sharp but not agressive.
for warm balanced sound i would go Audiosense AQ4 if still available.
but Simgot EA500 is excellent too, and can be near warm balanced with different nozzle tuning choice. the fact it have 2 soundsig make it even more versatile and interesting for a do-it-all IEM. bass isn't lacking and hit quite hard.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #31,412 of 31,833
What type of music you listen to?
Link2 is warm and powerfull, spacious holographic musicality, hint of bass boost it seem too...i feel its over priced a bit, especially if we compare to Moondrop Dawn 4.4 which have cleaner more open and deep spatiality as well as better imaging-transparency. impedance output seem lower too, or its background that is blacker...
ive just try S12 and Fan2 in IEMs you state. Fan2 is superior to S12 in all department and for 170 its a great choice. it pair well with Dawn4.4 at low gain.

but its not an iem i would call warm, but crisply balanced, treble is sharp but not agressive.
for warm balanced sound i would go Audiosense AQ4 if still available.
but Simgot EA500 is excellent too, and can be near warm balanced with different nozzle tuning choice. the fact it have 2 soundsig make it even more versatile and interesting for a do-it-all IEM. bass isn't lacking and hit quite hard.
My music tastes are mood-dependent :) and it goes from some lo-fi tunes and some jazz to relax, up to rock, metal and punk (eg. AC DC, Metallica, Slipknot, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Rammstein, Ghost, and the Portuguese dark metal Moonspell), or if I need energy and I'm working out, I love to listen to some Hardstyle.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #31,414 of 31,833
Schiit stack or Schiit house? (Magni Heretic, Modi 3+ and Loki EQ). Just received the Heretic today to complete the stack of Schiit. Damn, this Schiit sounds good. Being able to tweak for different phones is …

Also, went to on buying spree for more low-cost IEMS. This is contagion. I’ll post up the haul.

Attachments

• 36BCB6AB-FA4A-4B0A-A4C3-C2887AD45A2A.jpeg
    36BCB6AB-FA4A-4B0A-A4C3-C2887AD45A2A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #31,415 of 31,833
Hello everyone,

I'm no expert, not I can't consider myself an audiophile nor anything like it, I just want to have a moment of relaxation every now and then and listen and enjoy my music.

I have a KZ ZSN that I bought around 2 years ago or so, I love how it sounds, although obviously this is not perfect, but for what it cost it was a wonderful purchase, and I was thinking on upgrading to something better, so investing on a new IEM and a DAC, but the more I read and investigate, the more doubts I have...

I can't even say what is my preference in terms of sound signature honestly, although I would say that when treble hits too hard I don't feel much comfortable, so maybe I'm on the warmer/balanced side...

From everything I found, and trying to still make advantage of current discounts on "Ali-x", I was inclined to buy one of the following IEM, only and only based on the opinions and reviews I found online:
- JQ 4U Pro;
- Sound Rhyme SR5;
- Penon Fan 2.
(with the discounts, they will cost around 170/175€).

...or, could I be perfectly served with one of the two:
- Audiosense DT300;
- Letshuoer S12 Pro.

As for DAC's, the one that most came to my attention was the Xduoo Link2 Bal, but now that Fiio KA5 and Ibasso DC04 Pro were released, I'm not sure which would serve me better.

Thanks.

Both the Audiosense AQ4 and the Tangzu Wu Zetian original (isn't it funny how soon that became necessary). Well discounted at the moment in AliExpress Spring Sale. Both are warm with slightly relaxed treble and ample bass. Gentle V signatures that work with a wide range of music. IKKO OH2 at HifiGo and Audiosense DT200 are on sale as well. I d heartily recommend either of these if you want a slightly warm set relaxed set with more focus on mids. Great for Jazz, vocals and acoustic instruments.

All four of these sets get a LOT of ear time with me. YMMV.
:L3000:

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #31,416 of 31,833
My music tastes are mood-dependent :) and it goes from some lo-fi tunes and some jazz to relax, up to rock, metal and punk (eg. AC DC, Metallica, Slipknot, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Rammstein, Ghost, and the Portuguese dark metal Moonspell), or if I need energy and I'm working out, I love to listen to some Hardstyle.
Simgot EA500 mate.

Mar 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #31,417 of 31,833
I met the Kotori boss in Singapore. It was about 1.5 years back, he already had the prototype for the Vampire and some alternate tunings (I think there were 3 versions). He was a bit dissatisfied with the shell and wanted to perfect it, but I think Covid forced some production issues. Not sure what is the status now. I hope to check it out at the upcoming Canjam Singapore at the end of this month to see if there is any update.

Managed to test a final prototype for the Kotori Vampire today at Can Jam Singapore.

DSC_0240.JPG

So the boss says it is almost ready for production, they are still finalizing the shell colour, but the tuning is almost confirmed. Seems they will market it in Japan and China in the next 3 months or so, then later to the rest of the world.

It is a 1 BA set, warm neutral. Quite decent technicalities. Good isolation and fit. Unfortunately, there's some cons of a single BA, such as a slight lack of sub-bass extension/rumble, and BA timbre. Pricing maybe is around $100USD. It might make a decent stage monitor actually.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #31,418 of 31,833
Hi folks been out of the game for a while and I'd like to get a cheap (~$30) IEM. What's around nowadays? I nearly got the Chu last year but stuck to my Jabra 75t wireless IEMs because I preferred the sound. Now they're dying I want to get back to wired. Music genres extremely varied and I like a warm spacious sound.

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #31,419 of 31,833
Hi folks been out of the game for a while and I'd like to get a cheap (~$30) IEM. What's around nowadays? I nearly got the Chu last year but stuck to my Jabra 75t wireless IEMs because I preferred the sound. Now they're dying I want to get back to wired. Music genres extremely varied and I like a warm spacious sound.
I would say get yourself the Moondrop LAN with SpinFit CP100 tips. If you want to upgrade the cable I recommend a cheap pure silver cable. The LAN would set you back 40$ but it is well worth the price.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #31,420 of 31,833
I would say get yourself the Moondrop LAN with SpinFit CP100 tips. If you want to upgrade the cable I recommend a cheap pure silver cable. The LAN would set you back 40$ but it is well worth the price.

Will take a look, thank you.

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #31,421 of 31,833
Heaps of cheap options around now, sadly you just missed the AliExpress Spring Sale which had a lot of discounts.

For warm tuning you want something with lifted mid-bass. Avoid anything with boosted upper-mids and treble that emphasize female vocals and are popular for the Asian Market.

For $19 the Truthear Hola would be a good safe bet. It comes with a decent cable as stock and approximates the tuning of the 2021 version of the Moondrop Aria (ie. Harmon). Alternatively the Tangzu Wan'er SG would be a good choice. The QKZ HBB would be warmer still, but not as good technically. Recent KZ/CCA single DD releases are also pretty good for $15 to $30. Kiwi Ears Cadenza wasn't a bad release either but slightly over budget at $35.

Sorry I would have to disagree with this, Moondrop LAN is reported as being bright rather than warm (similar to Moondrop SSR tuning). Adding a silver cable would push up the price and boost the upper frequencies even higher. :triportsad:

Any of the recent TRN releases (MT3, MT4 and TRN TA3) also lean bright rather than warm, as do the Tin Hifi C2, Moondrop Chu, Tangzu Shimin Li (original) and 7Hz Salnotes Zero. Most other options are getting over $40 so I'll leave them out.

As always YMMV:L3000:

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #31,422 of 31,833
No doubt this IEM will make best sound value list! (i know we are slow here...and overwhelmed...but expect at least 5 best sound value lsit from different reviewers and audiophile SOON)

Simgot EA500 hype is more than legit.

I don't like to be all-in-hyping.
but hey, i'm human too! :sweat_smile:
The Simgot EA500 are just freakin budget IEM miracle. my review is publish on headfi.

Pros:
-well balanced vivid to warmish tonality
-2 and more nozzle tuning choice
-excellent technicalities
-beautifull male and female vocal
-fast attack speed
-bodied bass thump
-very big, airy, open and deep soundstage
-realist timbre and tone
-bright but not shouty nor sibilant
-crisp snappy brilliant treble
-good transparency
-good resolution
-good imaging
-mature but not boring
-clean but not thin mids
-excellent construction
-crazy sound value

Cons:
-lack of texture and bass definition
-light note weight in some part of mid range
-texture is overly smoothen for some instruments
-can be a hint shouty with stock ear tips

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ea500.26361/reviews#review-30475

12025154.jpg

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #31,424 of 31,833
Can somebody compare Fiio JD7 with this EA500?

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #31,425 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back