CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 10, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #31,471 of 31,834
Good to know this thread is still going strong!

My life is about reading/following this thread for few months, choosing few most recent champtions, buying and sticking to it for a year, and then coming back in the expectation that new generation of chi fi iems has better sound for the same price. It has worked well for years. My most recent "find" - I suspect over a year ago - was Square Planar+BA gem called Kinera Celest Gumiho. It has incredible detail without piercing (I am a bit treble-sensitive), impressive extension on both ends and a somewhat intimate but incredibly well-layered soundstage.

Now I am really keen to see if in the alst 12 months better options became available on the market, ideally for USD50-60, but I could go up to USD 100 for a right item. When I say "better", I certainly mean my own subjective "better" but based on the fact that I like neutral, detailed signatures with deep low bass but not necessarily strong or punchy mid-bass, what is the alternative you think I should try?

From reading recent posts, seems like Simgot (which is a brand I don't remember) has some interesting offering that may fit the bill? EA500 or EW200?
Yes.i have the ea500 and i can only say wonders about them.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #31,472 of 31,834
Jul 17, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #31,474 of 31,834
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #31,475 of 31,834
Ah, yes. I guess I missed that when I read it. Actually, come to think of it, I did read it but it didn't register for some reason. Many thanks for the citation.

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #31,476 of 31,834
What can I say, Simgot totally lives up to the hype. Totally blown away.

Now, I would like to find a balanced cable for it as balanced cables have a surprisingly strong noticeable impacr when it comes to sounds rage and channel separation. All I need is
- 2-pin 2.5mm balanced
- 4 core (as I don't like massive heavy cables)
- No microphonics!
- Doesn't cost a fortunte

Sounds easy? Well I would appreciate some links. I got this one
(FAAEAL 4Core High Purity Copper cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGxWLRh) but microphonics are so bad it is basically impossible to use it on the go portable. Even when I hold my DAP in a hand to avoid cable touching clothes, even cable rubbing lightly against tops of my ears creates microphonics rattle.

Any help or links appreciated!

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #31,477 of 31,834
What can I say, Simgot totally lives up to the hype. Totally blown away.

Now, I would like to find a balanced cable for it as balanced cables have a surprisingly strong noticeable impacr when it comes to sounds rage and channel separation. All I need is
- 2-pin 2.5mm balanced
- 4 core (as I don't like massive heavy cables)
- No microphonics!
- Doesn't cost a fortunte

Sounds easy? Well I would appreciate some links. I got this one
(FAAEAL 4Core High Purity Copper cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGxWLRh) but microphonics are so bad it is basically impossible to use it on the go portable. Even when I hold my DAP in a hand to avoid cable touching clothes, even cable rubbing lightly against tops of my ears creates microphonics rattle.

Any help or links appreciated!

I bought this one. Save $3 by checking the box = $12.99. It works like a charm for me on my Simgot EA500s. Note: I am not of the"cables make a difference" camp unless they are acting as equalizers, in which case, the law of diminishing returns apply. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D6DRB41/ref=twister_B08D6KJ1YJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #31,478 of 31,834
I have received my tuning set for EA500. Very nice!
IMG_20230722_064148.jpg

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #31,479 of 31,834
I don't understand why would anyone change the name of this thread. It literally killed an already declining thread. It used to be searching 'Sub 100 Headfi' then open this page seeing some dozen people sharing their Budget / Borderline Midfi CHIFI discovery. People also don't wanna be in an audio thread titled 'LOVE' I guess LOL. What a shame.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #31,481 of 31,834
What kind of stuff are you guys digging these days? Just curious as someone who hasn't followed the IEM market in the past 6 months
When talking about budget IEM’s the Moondrop Chu 2 sound very good. Much better than the KZ Krila. If you spend more money the Hidisz MS3 are on introduction sale and sound very good.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #31,483 of 31,834
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #31,485 of 31,834
When talking about budget IEM’s the Moondrop Chu 2 sound very good. Much better than the KZ Krila. If you spend more money the Hidisz MS3 are on introduction sale and sound very good.
How does Chu 2 compare with 7hz Salnotes Zero (assuming you still have it)? Also, what'd you not like about the Krila?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back