CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 6, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #30,151 of 31,833
I like the ASF when I use the iEMatch port on my old iFi Nano BL or just plugged straight into my V30. With my other two dongles or my Liquid Spark amp, the upper mids tend to be too sharp at times even at low volume. The ASF is quite sensitive though. And yeah, smaller tips - in my case Spinfit CP145 small, for a deeper fit is the way to go. I don't think they're a bad IEM either but for like $20 USD or under, I'd consider them a bargain at that price. I paid $22 for mine.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #30,152 of 31,833
Maybe we should update the term to "Flavour Of Last Month"! :L3000:

I agree that Dan's Audio Reviews does the sound samples well. But the review content leaves me cold. I don't personally like the Obsidian tuning, and frankly don't care how $50-100 IEMs compare to the MEST. It's like a car reviewer complaining that a Hyundai doesn't handle as well as his new Ferrari. SiriuB and Poles Audio sound-samples are top notch too. Zpolt doesn't have as good a sound quality. The pace of changes in the music are a little rapid, so you can have a bright passage for one IEM compared with a quiet passage on another. He has been presenting these types of samples long before these others came on the scene, so he deserves credit for that too. He is also more focused on budget offerings, which are of more interest to a lot of people. Nothing about stage, separation or details is evident on the sound samples, but they do illustrate differences in tuning. I dropped the Moondrop SSP off my wishlist after hearing how recessed the mids were. The warmth in the presentation of the BL-03, CA16 and Meteor led to me eventually buying all three. Less aggressive treble of the C10 vs ZS10 pro was audible and led to me buying the former. We have an amazing resource with online information, the real trick is how to filter it. Everything out there is produced by people with different preferences, opinions and levels of objectivity. Too few saints and too many trolls.

PS: I like Oluv's Gadgets, just started checking out the channel!
Good idea. :beerchug:

I didn't hear the OH10, but I'm waiting for Tin HiFi T3+ to arrive. Judging by the sound samples they should sound quite similar. I think he just wanted to show that IEM-s much more expensive not necessary sound so much better compared to solid sub 100$ earphones. You're right that zpolt was probably of the first reviewers who recorded sound samples.

I still have my BL-03 and really enjoy it. I also had CCA C10, but sold it about year ago.

Oluv leans toward neutral sound signature. Sadly he doesn't post many videos on YT these days.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #30,153 of 31,833
ASF is a good set. All you need to do is get a proper seal. You have to put them deep in your ear - almost like ciem. Use the tips included (with short nozzle) in a smaller size than usual (if you regularly use m size try s)
In my opinion, for many reviewers it was too difficult from what I can see. Like with BGVP DM6 of his time. They are not legendary, but they are not bad.
They are a hardware bargain if you like tinkering the sound with source, tips and especially PEQ. Not a "plug and play" product, but a great deal for a hobbyist :)

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #30,154 of 31,833
They are a hardware bargain if you like tinkering the sound with source, tips and especially PEQ. Not a "plug and play" product, but a great deal for a hobbyist :)
Yes. I've been keeping mine since they were released, and I'm not going to get rid of them. Maybe someday I'll do an experiment with foam for ASF or ASX. In BA10 foam is in the nozzle.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #30,155 of 31,833
Not been on this thread for a while. These might not be the coolest earphones to bring up and they're a little older now. But the Hifiman Re800 Silver at the current price of £100 in the UK and at times the same in dollars is easily (for me) better than any budget earphones out there. They came on to the market at £400 and I reckon if they had a fancier, more modern build, they'd be up there in discussion with any FIIO, Moondrop, DUNU, (enter any other midrange modern brand), etc. for sound.

I saw them at $80 last month on the Hifiman website... Which is INSANE for the sound you get. I guess Hifiman are more about their planar headphones these days.

The re800s are very natural, balanced and highly detailed, yet non analytical. Just a joy to listen to. I've commented on a lot of the Head-Fi reviews, so won't go into a detailed breakdown of sound signature here. They will convince even the most skeptical out there, that burn-in is a genuine process. The change in sound from OOTB was clear as day after 40 plus hours. They went from meh to amazing for me. Bass especially had a pretty radical transformation.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #30,156 of 31,833
Rose Techniques QT9 MK2S.jpg
Rose Technics QT9 MK 2S via IEC711 compliant coupler. The 8 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

Listening impressions to follow...

This is for the MK2S, not the regular MK2, their naming convention is super confusing.

As a followup to this post, here are some impressions on the Rose Technics QT9 MK2S:

Rose Technics Cover Photo.jpg

PROS:
  • Ultra premium accessories - comes with 2 hard cases, multiple pairs of eartips (with their own smaller hard case), cable, spare filters, MMCX removal tool, 3.5-6.5mm adapter jack. Truly very generous for a midFI set, some TOTL sets give way less things! (see photos below)
  • Solid build, yet light weight - earpieces only weight 30g apiece!
  • Easy to drive - no amplification is needed, the QT9 MK2S run off almost any weak source.
  • Well balanced U-shaped tonality
  • Very coherently tuned hybrid - coherency is really great, some hybrids suffer from a too slow DD bass that cannot keep up with the BAs handling the upper frequencies, which is not the case here.
  • Excellent bass quality - bass is fast and tight and clean. Texturing is excellent with no mid-bass bleed.
  • Natural treble with good resolution and excellent technical performance - the QT9 MK2S can actually perform as a stage monitor due to the tuning and good technicalities.

CONS:
  • Microphonic cable
  • Fit may be an issue for those with larger ears - nozzle on the housing is a bit short, but thankfully, this can be mitigated with the double flange eartips provided, or aftermarket longer nozzle eartips.
  • Thin note weight - this is subjective though, some may like a thinner note weight, whereas some want something lusher.
  • Lack of sub-bass rumble - not for bassheads, but the QT9 MK2S goes for quality bass over quantity.
  • Upper mids a tinge spicy - though this is dependent on hearing health, volume-played-at (ie Fletcher Munson curve), source, and pinna gain (ear anatomy). By and large I find it is at the border and this pushes vocals forward over the instruments.

The Rose Technics QT9 MK2S is a technical U-shaped set that goes for a quality bass over absolute quantity, build and accessories are top notch. Coherency is very good for a hybrid, with the quick DD bass keeping up with the BAs handling the higher registers. For someone looking for a technical hybrid, this is definitely one set to consider! Bassheads may need to consider alternatives though.

Rose Technics Hard Case.jpg
Rose Technics Accessories.jpg
Rose Technics Eartips.jpg
Rose Technics Cable.jpg

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #30,157 of 31,833
Not been on this thread for a while. These might not be the coolest earphones to bring up and they're a little older now. But the Hifiman Re800 Silver at the current price of £100 in the UK and at times the same in dollars is easily (for me) better than any budget earphones out there. They came on to the market at £400 and I reckon if they had a fancier, more modern build, they'd be up there in discussion with any FIIO, Moondrop, DUNU, (enter any other midrange modern brand), etc. for sound.

I saw them at $80 last month on the Hifiman website... Which is INSANE for the sound you get. I guess Hifiman are more about their planar headphones these days.

The re800s are very natural, balanced and highly detailed, yet non analytical. Just a joy to listen to. I've commented on a lot of the Head-Fi reviews, so won't go into a detailed breakdown of sound signature here. They will convince even the most skeptical out there, that burn-in is a genuine process. The change in sound from OOTB was clear as day after 40 plus hours. They went from meh to amazing for me. Bass especially had a pretty radical transformation.
Hi, how these Hifiman Re800 Silver compare to the like of the Tripowin Olina?
Been looking for a single DD iem better than my Heart Mirror.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #30,159 of 31,833
Jun 9, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #30,160 of 31,833
I haven't heard the Olina, but the re800s are a step above the Heart Mirror imo... And I really like the HM.

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #30,161 of 31,833

Tripowin Olina is a steal for $99, put an extra filter on over the existing one on the nozzle, they are included and it's dead easy. That takes the slightly harsh edge off upper-mids and treble.

If you want a warmer signature then Tipsy TTROMSO PineStone Sea is amazing (and cheaper at $90). It has very good stage and details compared to most IEMs with a forward mid-bass. My favorite IEM for relaxed listening. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #30,162 of 31,833
20220608_180307.jpgCCA CRA+

A pretty fun and well tuned budget gem. Against the current crop of low cost iems I'd say the CRA+ fares well.
Here is my take on this highly anticipated budget set. The CRA+ is the successor to the original CRA and I'd say does well in what it was intended to do. Below is my review of the CRA+

PROS

-Fun but balanced tuning
-Price
-Tonality through much of the mix
-Easy to drive

CONS

-High expectations and big hype
-Sub-par accessories (I know, I know…these are $30)
-Not the most polished treble
-Slight metallic tizz on some vocals
-Honestly, no serious cons at this price, just enjoy

https://www.mobileaudiophile.com/cca-cra/
20220608_175859.jpg
20220608_175019.jpg

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #30,163 of 31,833
20220608_180307.jpgCCA CRA+

A pretty fun and well tuned budget gem. Against the current crop of low cost iems I'd say the CRA+ fares well.
Here is my take on this highly anticipated budget set. The CRA+ is the successor to the original CRA and I'd say does well in what it was intended to do. Below is my review of the CRA+

PROS

-Fun but balanced tuning
-Price
-Tonality through much of the mix
-Easy to drive

CONS

-High expectations and big hype
-Sub-par accessories (I know, I know…these are $30)
-Not the most polished treble
-Slight metallic tizz on some vocals
-Honestly, no serious cons at this price, just enjoy

https://www.mobileaudiophile.com/cca-cra/
20220608_175859.jpg
20220608_175019.jpg
Yes they are very good for the price, impressively well balanced and smooth in cohesion for a CCA...quite easy to love and get addict to their warm yet clear enough musicality. Cause yeah, unlike KZ EDX Ultra, those CRA+ are highly musical with rounder warmer bass and smoother better balanced treble.

''
CRA+ offer a warmish balanced V shape with rather good resolution for a warm but energic bassy signature. Bass hit in a warm slam with minimal resonance and tamed rumble, bit soft in impact, like a big pillow throw on the floor hum. Or in your face. This is most boosted part of spectrum and can affect instrument separation, not very refined bass, guilty pleasure.
Mids elevate quite soon, so you have both presence and body, it doesn't feel sharp V shape with thin mids here and there place for wide openess. Upper mids are well rounded, making female vocal quite beautifull since their density and smooth timbral balance. Female vocal take front seat too, stoling sometime the show to everything else if it's not a pop song. Sound layers are thicked by bass, so micro definition and attack control feel a bit veiled-softed.
Treble is tamed, its not snappy nor sparkly, and doesnt have a lot of bit or well resolve texture....
Ok, like near always with KZ and CCA, more i dig the sound more i find technical limitation, but i could have say that for the WHizzer HE01 that make me give them a try, since i was like: how do they compare to CRA+? Well, HE01 is brigther, have better resolution, more energic balance and faster attack, especially in bass which have better articulation and separation. Yes, for me biggest drawback of CRA+ is boomy warm sloppy bass, even if it do mix up rather in a pleasant euphonic way.
Now, CRA+ is 5$ more than EDX ULTRA....why, just why is my question. Still, i think it worth the 20$ and offer high sound value, for a fun listening session, not too fatiguing and well balanced with inviting immersive vocal and overall decent layering and wide soundstage. Technicality aren't bad for the price. Musicality is there to my ears, and it's what that count first.''

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #30,164 of 31,833
Jun 13, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #30,165 of 31,833
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back