CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #29,911 of 31,849
Are u getting the new Tin P1 Max? I think the P1 Plus will be overhyped by the Max now that a new release is out. But very strange decision to push the Max out just a few weeks after the P1 Plus was launched.

Anyway Tin HIFI recent products have been quite hit or miss. Tin T3 Plus is decent enough (though I think it is overrated -> Olina, Dunu Titan S and Aria are better single DDs at the same price). Tin T2 Evo, P2, T5 were flops. In fact, the latter 2 necessitate retuned releases a few weeks after release.

Actually, some of these Knowles BA with a 3 kHz spike are tuned with a knowles damper/filter in the nozzle. The spike in the graph is only present when undamped. So in practice, this 3 - 4 kHz area can be lessened.

Putting in and removing the knowles filter as such:

These Knowles dampers can be bought on aliexpress or amazon, just search "knowles filter" or "knowles damper". Do buy a damper removal tool too for easier removal of the filter.
I bought mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html to play around, they really do work, but you can just buy it from the cheapest shop or something. There's various damping ratios, and other then damping the treble, they can also influence soundstage to some extent.

That's a nice information. I don't know if they bothered and put a damper in DT6Max like you mentioned. I think the diameter of the nozzle of Shure series is smaller than what SF uses. If there's any with bigger diameter, I'd give it try with my DT9. I need to use EQ to tame the sibilance and harshness of treble part on DT9.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #29,912 of 31,849
Are u getting the new Tin P1 Max? I think the P1 Plus will be overhyped by the Max now that a new release is out. But very strange decision to push the Max out just a few weeks after the P1 Plus was launched.

Anyway Tin HIFI recent products have been quite hit or miss. Tin T3 Plus is decent enough (though I think it is overrated -> Olina, Dunu Titan S and Aria are better single DDs at the same price). Tin T2 Evo, P2, T5 were flops. In fact, the latter 2 necessitate retuned releases a few weeks after release.

Actually, some of these Knowles BA with a 3 kHz spike are tuned with a knowles damper/filter in the nozzle. The spike in the graph is only present when undamped. So in practice, this 3 - 4 kHz area can be lessened.

Putting in and removing the knowles filter as such:

These Knowles dampers can be bought on aliexpress or amazon, just search "knowles filter" or "knowles damper". Do buy a damper removal tool too for easier removal of the filter.
I bought mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html to play around, they really do work, but you can just buy it from the cheapest shop or something. There's various damping ratios, and other then damping the treble, they can also influence soundstage to some extent.

11263009.png

Hum, not sure, but I hope so since my main quirk with P1plus is the fit. Your right about T3+ being overhyped....they begin to fall in oblivion already it seem and it tell alot. I'm happy to not have been part of this overly permisse hype. In the other hand, T2+ is underhyped lol As well as P1plus and this is due to wrong eartips choice perhaps but as say, it's just a burden to use the only eartips I have the make the sound super wide and open and well balanced...P1plus isn't perfect either, their some timbral issue and bass still lack physicality imo but it's nit picking.

what about you? whats on your radar mate??

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #29,913 of 31,849
what about you? whats on your radar mate??

Hmm, maybe the Moondrop Chu seems interesting, there's a big Chu Chu hypetrain for it. Graph looks good enough, but wondering how are the technicalities on it. For 20 bucks can't complain much, since it comes with Spring Tips which are $15 by themselves!

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #29,914 of 31,849
Hi all, EA1 burnin is ended and I'm very impressed by this iem, not for tecnicality nor for tonal accuracy but by how much is energetic and fun. :)

It Is V shaped but mids aren't to recessed, bass is powerfull and with the right decay, drums and bass guitars sound realistic and don't blead in the mids, the trebles are sparkly and estended and not arsh only cons is that high mids and high trebbles are to sparkly and not tonally correct but this iem is so fun and engaging that I may forget about it.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #29,915 of 31,849
Hmm, maybe the Moondrop Chu seems interesting, there's a big Chu Chu hypetrain for it. Graph looks good enough, but wondering how are the technicalities on it. For 20 bucks can't complain much, since it comes with Spring Tips which are $15 by themselves!
1650378473072.png

1650378510331.png

Indeed Chu Chu train is well fueled, but perhaps legit too even if backed by marketing....these are so cheap, yet made of metal and this DD is suppose to be similar to BL03-05 etc from what Hi Fri (Jeffrey Fri) think.

The guy that open these really love them, even more so than Aria it seem:

''Eric Lab
mate, what do you like about the sound??? and why do you find it superior to Aria?

Chang Cheng Yeong
Fast, clean, lots of resolution. Not as mushy and muted compared to the aria, transients are much more defined and dynamics are superior. This gets close to the performance of the Acoustune HS1300, for 20 bucks!''

Like everybody, ill get a pair soon....i have big doubt it will sound better than Aria. Goal is that it sound better than Tanya and Lea imo

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #29,916 of 31,849
Hi all, EA1 burnin is ended and I'm very impressed by this iem, not for tecnicality nor for tonal accuracy but by how much is energetic and fun. :)

It Is V shaped but mids aren't to recessed, bass is powerfull and with the right decay, drums and bass guitars sound realistic and don't blead in the mids, the trebles are sparkly and estended and not arsh only cons is that high mids and high trebbles are to sparkly and not tonally correct but this iem is so fun and engaging that I may forget about it.
Happy you enjoy them mate, indeed they are fun and the bass hit quite hard, i love them for electronic, IDM, drum&bass etc
I would love Jade audio to do a dual DD IEM, since its always the best part of their hybrid IEM imo

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #29,918 of 31,849
I agree, T2+ is great and IMO Tin lost their way after that release.
Tinhifi is a bit inconsistant in release....kinda similar to BGVP in that regard imo, Hit or miss.
T2, T2+ and P1+ are those I love for now.
MAX seem extremely promising too...

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #29,919 of 31,849
I've ordered DT--6 max as well, my only IEM order in 3 months - just very curious how it will compare to other S---r piezo tribrids: original 6 (that I love other than the timbre (that I can personally live with) and the form factor that was much more limiting for its use), 6 pro (not much magic left compared to the original 6 to my ears, just a decent IEM) and MT300 (another piezo, given the info on TDK drivers, but quite nicely implemented one, vinyl-like flavour to my ears).

S--r is a shady company in my books, banned likely for a good reason. I do hope that Knowles in 6 max are not real, otherwise they will be some "B grade", and to my ears ChiFi copies of BAs that are used in KZ can deliver nice lows and decent highs.

My experience with Knowles 33518 in BGVP VG4 is meh...worse than SWFK and TWFK, and many KZs have better treble to my ears, really wasted money with BGVP...
I used to be a fan until the MT300 which qc problem just making off. Never experience an iem lost sound for both L/R unit in separately time. Then, there comes the new DT...6M, and I may give a try. But, what I found from the tabobao seller, 2 of 10 buyers comments claimed they have problems on the mmcx plug that need exchange. Another buyer claimed that one of mmcx plug is very tight, the other is loose. It seems that this company never change, they really like lucky draw, but as a buyer, I absolutely hate that.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #29,920 of 31,849
Tinhifi is a bit inconsistant in release....kinda similar to BGVP in that regard imo, Hit or miss.
T2, T2+ and P1+ are those I love for now.
MAX seem extremely promising too...
I had such high hopes for the T2+. Reminded me of the Silver Surfer. Especially when I finally found tips that would hold them in place and solidify the bass. But they always sounded bottom-heavy to me, so much so that it could sometimes sound like they transposed the music down a half step. YMMV; I sold them.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #29,921 of 31,849
man...gotta try this CRA and stop being snobbish at least about single DD stunner from CCA-KZ-TRN...have you try EDX too? Or Tanya, Lea, Ola, E1000? Wonder how they compare.

Yep, JH3 is bright and unforgiving. Bass impress me alot too lol 35$ is a steal imo 60$ a bit less but the package you get worth it still. Right now its 45$ on ALi.

Haven't kept up with the all the new budget releases. I have the CCA CRA. Heard good things in reviews about KZ EDX pro. Then there are the CCA CA2, TRN MT1 pro, KZ EDC, KZ EDS and the latest KZ EDA where you buy three and get one cable and not enough eartips! The problem is the damned number of budget releases. If you try a bunch of them, maybe you strike it lucky and find something great. You are however going to end up with a bunch of lousy to average IEMs .

Temptation exists to get the introductory deals. More goodies or a lower price. This is on an unknown product. How often do you see a promotion that says "This IEM is Trash, you can buy a better one from our competitors, that costs less."?

Let me count the hands... Anyone? ... Nope :triportsad:

Sadly that turns out to be the case a lot of the time.

You could spend that money on a lottery ticket. That way you might be able to buy any IEM you want! (This is BAD advice BTW)

Some of the clearance sale "Mystery bags", can have good deals. Look at all the info given ;manufacturer ;driver config ;cable connector ;impedance ;sensitivity ;colour options ; cost (either real or the inflated figure that they quote that it has never been sold for). So if you know the manufacturer only has one IEM with one DD and one BA, and the other details match, then it isn't a mystery anymore. Now you can look up reviews on this older model that someone has overstocked. I've picked up a couple at 40% off that way.

Waiting on reviews and sales is a better strategy!

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #29,922 of 31,849
Haven't kept up with the all the new budget releases. I have the CCA CRA. Heard good things in reviews about KZ EDX pro. Then there are the CCA CA2, TRN MT1 pro, KZ EDC, KZ EDS and the latest KZ EDA where you buy three and get one cable and not enough eartips! The problem is the damned number of budget releases. If you try a bunch of them, maybe you strike it lucky and find something great. You are however going to end up with a bunch of lousy to average IEMs .

Temptation exists to get the introductory deals. More goodies or a lower price. This is on an unknown product. How often do you see a promotion that says "This IEM is Trash, you can buy a better one from our competitors, that costs less."?

You could spend that money on a lottery ticket. That way you might be able to buy any IEM you want! (This is BAD advice BTW)

Some of the clearance sale "Mystery bags", can have good deals. Look at all the info given ;manufacturer ;driver config ;cable connector ;impedance ;sensitivity ;colour options ; cost (either real or the inflated figure that they quote that it has never been sold for). So if you know the manufacturer only has one IEM with one DD and one BA, and the other details match, then it isn't a mystery anymore. Now you can look up reviews on this older model that someone has overstocked. I've picked up a couple at 40% off that way.

Indeed....i get exhausted trying all these ultra budget IEM bet....and can say in general, 90% of chifi product are just mediocre, about the same for whole audio in fact. Exception, by nature, are rare. This is why i repeat HZsound Mirror as a mantra. EDX is more than decent for less than 10$, but to me, the 2 sweet sound value spot are 50-100$ and 100-200$. After this you live lower and lower sound benefit return.

It's sure better letting the reviewers be the guinea pigs instead of throwing blindly our hard earned money...i'm here for that!

Have you try KBear KB04? Very underatted imo
BQEYZ K2, KC2 and KB100 sure worth the money too.
Final E1000, Tanya, Lea, Ola too.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #29,923 of 31,849
Just receive the KINERA IDUN GOLDEN 2.0. I'm pleasantly surprise, very well balanced gently bright mature tuning, neutral but not lean, and this look....Kinera sure know how to do magnificent looking IEM.
1650459807913.png

1650459830100.png

Need more listen, but I already know i prefer those over H3 and Freya.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #29,924 of 31,849
''The Whizzer BS1 offer a very immersive musicality with a big airy soundstage, it have this unique ”analog holographic” sound presentation that make it very addictive. While it’s no master of technicalities, it’s still above average in it’s price range due to nicely layered spatiality and overall good macro-resolution. It’s hard to not suggest the BS1 for it’s price, since it offer a sound experience no other IEM offer in this price range and even above, in the sens you feel like being in a big room fullfill with big speakers delivering a bigger than life musicality in a small IEM shell. Why not spoiling yourself with such a pleasant immersivity?''

You can read my full review of BS1 on headfi or my website.
https://nobsaudiophile.com/2022/04/12/whizzer-bs1-review-bigger-than-life-immersivity/

I do think they worth the money and are very easy to love.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #29,925 of 31,849

I learnt this the hard way, but buying multiple cheap sidegrade pokemons will add up to a TOTL IEM one day. And they will mostly be in a dark drawer somewhere, never to be used again. Where I live, it is extremely hard to sell away budget KZs.

Budget gear is very useful to sample and try different sound signatures and see what you like. But once you know what sound you want, it behooves you to just upgrade to a midFI set and call it a day. MidFI well regarded gear will be classics eg Tanchjim Oxygen, and reselling them is easy. TOTL gear maybe gives you 10 - 20% sonic improvement from midFI bracket IEMs, but at 10x the price, so the sweetspot IMHO is at the midFI region.

Easier said that done though, the FOMO of budget hypetrains is strong in CHIFIland!!!

But anyway, a good gauge of whether something is a fake hypetrain or a keeper, is whether after 3 months, the IEM in question is still talked about or recommended by others on forums. Around 70% or so of the budget sidegrade pokemon fall by the wayside after a few weeks, so that is kind of a way to sieve the chaff.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back