CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #29,896 of 31,867
Well, it can be considered this way. I took this into account.

I couldn't find the link of DT6Max in taobao. I do remeber it was cheaper. We can say that they can get/gather the pieces for a cheaper price. However, that seems to me very small gross margin.

I'm also not sure if they went with the piezos that you showed.

I'd think this rather :

Screenshot_20220418-222731_Opera.jpg
That piezo you showed includes 10 pcs, and is 35mm and includes soldered wires. Its the same thing otherwise.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #29,897 of 31,867
Well, I've been keeping MT300 in my collection. I still like them for their price and the accessories came along with them. However, there were certainly doubts about the brand claiming that MT300 has TDK's EST drivers.

I shared a post in another thread discussing the possibilities of putting an EST into the headphones which have such low price. I also searched and couldn't find anything in TDK inventory that's an EST driver. Even from the pictures, it didn't look like EST but piezo.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/geek-wold-discussion.958787/post-16471083

Now, I'm checking this new dt6max.

-1089805292-725694059.jpg
-1088315811802847436.jpg

Looks like they correctly mentioned this time that they use piezo. Okay! I'm fine with this. At least sounds more realistic.

However, please help me to understand. How's it possible that they use Knowles 31736?

These headphones are being sold at 60$ now with all these accessories...

When I check the price of Knowles 31736, I see the price is 25$!

Screenshot_20220418-220631_AliExpress.jpg

How's that possible to put DD + Knowles 31736 + Piezo with such a low price? Consider also the fact that in China they're being sold for a much cheaper price...

Seriously, I have doubts with this brand. I welcome any suggestions/opinions from the knowledgeable people here!

And let's say that they really used knowles 31736 and most probably for the treble part.
-98757641764670851.jpg

I see a big spike between 3-4khz. So, I'd expect some brightness that may not be bearable for sensitive people.

I'd really like smb to teardown these and check if they really use what they claim.
SF DT9 state to use a Knowles BA and sell for 25$. Since I dont use them nor like them (its old batch), i might open them to check whats inside....even if i would rather prefer Hi Fri to do it...TRN TA1 is another ex of chifi using a knowles. In big batch, it can cost less than 10$.

First diti6 wasnt using a knowles....

My guess about these overly fancy box and package is that they have lot of them taking dust from older IEM models they didnt sell, its really my no1 What question in term of very cheap price....modular cable too, but to a less extedn since it look a bit cheap and TRN sell like 10$ modular cable i think...

anyhow, no1 priority will be the sound and especially cohesion between all these diff driver since it was the issue with original model imo (mix of different timbre)

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #29,898 of 31,867
That piezo you showed includes 10 pcs, and is 35mm and includes soldered wires. Its the same thing otherwise.
I don't know Chinese but it seems to me that the price is for a single knowles 31736.

So otherwise we should think that two knowles 31736 cost only 13$?

And you think that these really have 31736 in them? And can be sold for such a price?

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #29,899 of 31,867
I don't know Chinese but it seems to me that the price is for a single knowles 31736.

And you think that these really have 31736 in them? And can be sold for such a price?
The BA is a single unit price.

No clue if its that driver, it does not look like it but that is the text they have.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #29,900 of 31,867
SF DT9 state to use a Knowles BA and sell for 25$. Since I dont use them nor like them (its old batch), i might open them to check whats inside....even if i would rather prefer Hi Fri to do it...TRN TA1 is another ex of chifi using a knowles. In big batch, it can cost less than 10$.

First diti6 wasnt using a knowles....

My guess about these overly fancy box and package is that they have lot of them taking dust from older IEM models they didnt sell, its really my no1 What question in term of very cheap price....modular cable too, but to a less extedn since it look a bit cheap and TRN sell like 10$ modular cable i think...

anyhow, no1 priority will be the sound and especially cohesion between all these diff driver since it was the issue with original model imo (mix of different timbre)
I have dt9. They claimed that it has knowles as well. It's knowles 33518. It has such thin sounding treble...

Ofc sound is the most important part. However, I'd like honesty as well. On the other hand, they do really provide IEMs with such a competitive price...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #29,901 of 31,867
I have dt9. They claimed that it has knowles as well. It's knowles 33518. It has such thin sounding treble...

Ofc sound is the most important part. However, I'd like honesty as well. On the other hand, they do really provide IEMs with such a competitive price...
The Knowles 33518 can sound very nice. It can be found in the Tin T3, TRI i4 and IKKO OH1S, all of which sound very good. Even the TRN TA-1 sounds decent as well, that also has the 33518 driver.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #29,902 of 31,867

me too i love honnesty and this is why i do believe its necessary that some people teardown IEM and verify the drivers....unfortunately, not everybody is ready to destroy their IEM...ill see if i can open it easily DT9 since like you, i find mids and treble thin, and veiled by bass boom...this is first version which doesnt have separation module in the nozzle...new one are suppose to be better.

as well, since the shell might be transparent, it will perhaps be easy to check up BA model.

A great example of very good dual high end Knowles BA is the Hisenior T2 classic...it use CI-22955 (30$usd) and CI-29689 (25$usd) with 2 way crossover and sell right now for 99$. Profit margin might be lower than 25%, a bit like Audiosense in that regard. SF bet on high sale to get profit, which is why its even sadder we can't freely talk about this company.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #29,903 of 31,867
Hi Tzennn, I like a lot Aria, an hint more details and could be perfect to me.

For EDM I use Shozy 1.1, DQ6 and dee tee 6, but Emerald or C12 are good too.
EA1 Is burning in, but looks me very good too.

I've a nice surprise using a QKZ T1 cable (8 core silver plated) with the C10...more open and firm sound for very little money.

I've to try the inespensive CRA 😉

Give the CRA a try, it's a stunner!
Yes, it is sad that the brand is "verboten" here. The MT300 is another excellent model. The JH3 is underrated, I think, it is vibrant and engaging and a good buy at the price. No others on the way at the moment, but I have been visiting my back catalogue and have been enjoying my TRI i3 (Original) over the last few days, very dramatic and entertaining!

I picked up the Fiio/JadeAudio JH3 in the anniversary sale. To be honest it was discounted to US$35 and I was after the cable and the case (both of which are great). It turned out to be a really engaging IEM. It just needed a narrow bore tip to ease back on the hotness in the treble.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #29,904 of 31,867
Give the CRA a try, it's a stunner!

I picked up the Fiio/JadeAudio JH3 in the anniversary sale. To be honest it was discounted to US$35 and I was after the cable and the case (both of which are great). It turned out to be a really engaging IEM. It just needed a narrow bore tip to ease back on the hotness in the treble.
man...gotta try this CRA and stop being snobbish at least about single DD stunner from CCA-KZ-TRN...have you try EDX too? Or Tanya, Lea, Ola, E1000? Wonder how they compare.

Yep, JH3 is bright and unforgiving. Bass impress me alot too lol 35$ is a steal imo 60$ a bit less but the package you get worth it still. Right now its 45$ on ALi.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #29,905 of 31,867
I've ordered DT--6 max as well, my only IEM order in 3 months - just very curious how it will compare to other S---r piezo tribrids: original 6 (that I love other than the timbre (that I can personally live with) and the form factor that was much more limiting for its use), 6 pro (not much magic left compared to the original 6 to my ears, just a decent IEM) and MT300 (another piezo, given the info on TDK drivers, but quite nicely implemented one, vinyl-like flavour to my ears).

S--r is a shady company in my books, banned likely for a good reason. I do hope that Knowles in 6 max are not real, otherwise they will be some "B grade", and to my ears ChiFi copies of BAs that are used in KZ can deliver nice lows and decent highs.

My experience with Knowles 33518 in BGVP VG4 is meh...worse than SWFK and TWFK, and many KZs have better treble to my ears, really wasted money with BGVP...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #29,906 of 31,867
I've ordered DT--6 max as well, my only IEM order in 3 months - just very curious how it will compare to other S---r piezo tribrids: original 6 (that I love other than the timbre (that I can personally live with) and the form factor that was much more limiting for its use), 6 pro (not much magic left compared to the original 6 to my ears, just a decent IEM) and MT300 (another piezo, given the info on TDK drivers, but quite nicely implemented one, vinyl-like flavour to my ears).

S--r is a shady company in my books, banned likely for a good reason. I do hope that Knowles in 6 max are not real, otherwise they will be some "B grade", and to my ears ChiFi copies of BAs that are used in KZ can deliver nice lows and decent highs.

My experience with Knowles 33518 in BGVP VG4 is meh...worse than SWFK and TWFK, and many KZs have better treble to my ears, really wasted money with BGVP...
Interesting....SF is really controversial for lotta reasons it seem...more of them being legit. But at the same time even hater go back to them...and original 6 still mark the minds (including mine). I think biggest flaw with them is QC....and that banning reason isnt targeted to them but a shaddy seller...make me confuse still. Knowles BA can be bought new for 10$ in big (manufacture level) batch. but chifi industry did use B grade BA too. and surely not just chifi in fact but that opening a big pandora box!

Oh....Plz don't base your Knowles BA impressions on VG4 bro, because you are right, they are bad IEM. wtv how much i play with tuning switch, its all bad, but their lot of factors in BA tuning including tube and damping filters so...perhaps going Audiosense will be rewarding. AQ4 and T800 especially. imo

what IEM you really appreciate lately mate??

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #29,907 of 31,867
Interesting....SF is really controversial for lotta reasons it seem...more of them being legit. But at the same time even hater go back to them...and original 6 still mark the minds (including mine). I think biggest flaw with them is QC....and that banning reason isnt targeted to them but a shaddy seller...make me confuse still. Knowles BA can be bought new for 10$ in big (manufacture level) batch. but chifi industry did use B grade BA too. and surely not just chifi in fact but that opening a big pandora box!

Oh....Plz don't base your Knowles BA impressions on VG4 bro, because you are right, they are bad IEM. wtv how much i play with tuning switch, its all bad, but their lot of factors in BA tuning including tube and damping filters so...perhaps going Audiosense will be rewarding. AQ4 and T800 especially. imo

what IEM you really appreciate lately mate??
My tastes are really limited - I stuck with my modified wide-nozzle KZ ASX (I made two copies) - they are rampant in bass, rich in treble - I hear a lot of music in music with them. :)
Important to clearly disclose, I largerly listen to classical music, where to hear more from typically quite conservative (treble shy) recordings feels nice to me.

For the other IEMs, I do appreciate TRI I3 and HiSenior T4 (T2 + TWFK, gorgeous crystal clear mids) in my collection), but then I like KZ AST more than TRI I3. I also love KZ AS16 with classical, with modern recordings they are overwhelming in treble and shy in bass to most...

Individual tastes are different, not starting with the source synergy here that I've learned hard way is important.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #29,908 of 31,867
me too....but as always, it will take ages to reach Canada I guess....
its a bit sad that this brand is still censor here since the problematic seller dont even have them in its store.
but im still afraid to share Ali link...hope people understand the IEM we talk about lol

any other exciting IEM on the way to you mate?

I learn to appreciate the Fiio JH3.

And just discover today i forget to do a written review of one of my fav 2021 IEM, the Tinhifi P1plus. These will be under appreciate for a very specific reason: near impossible right ear tips choice. The impact on sound presentation is just insanely intense....from lean bright compressed sound to out of your head ultra open airy holographic sound with beautifull timbre incredible imaging and layering and warm bass slam....just crazy. I wish everybody can test those cheap eartips with them:
1650298134374.png

Are u getting the new Tin P1 Max? I think the P1 Plus will be overhyped by the Max now that a new release is out. But very strange decision to push the Max out just a few weeks after the P1 Plus was launched.

Anyway Tin HIFI recent products have been quite hit or miss. Tin T3 Plus is decent enough (though I think it is overrated -> Olina, Dunu Titan S and Aria are better single DDs at the same price). Tin T2 Evo, P2, T5 were flops. In fact, the latter 2 necessitate retuned releases a few weeks after release.

And let's say that they really used knowles 31736 and most probably for the treble part.
-98757641764670851.jpg

I see a big spike between 3-4khz. So, I'd expect some brightness that may not be bearable for sensitive people.

I'd really like smb to teardown these and check if they really use what they claim.

Actually, some of these Knowles BA with a 3 kHz spike are tuned with a knowles damper/filter in the nozzle. The spike in the graph is only present when undamped. So in practice, this 3 - 4 kHz area can be lessened.

Putting in and removing the knowles filter as such:

These Knowles dampers can be bought on aliexpress or amazon, just search "knowles filter" or "knowles damper". Do buy a damper removal tool too for easier removal of the filter.
I bought mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html to play around, they really do work, but you can just buy it from the cheapest shop or something. There's various damping ratios, and other then damping the treble, they can also influence soundstage to some extent.

11263009.png

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #29,909 of 31,867

It does seem unlikely that it is a 31736.That is used, for example, in the AS16 as a treble unit. Images online show the original D. T. 6 featuring a 31005, 30042 or Knowles 32066 BA, and they are mid range units. The MT300 has a 33518. I do not know which BAs are used in the D. T. 6 Pro.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #29,910 of 31,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back