CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #29,926 of 31,845
I learnt this the hard way, but buying multiple cheap sidegrade pokemons will add up to a TOTL IEM one day. And they will mostly be in a dark drawer somewhere, never to be used again. Where I live, it is extremely hard to sell away budget KZs.

Budget gear is very useful to sample and try different sound signatures and see what you like. But once you know what sound you want, it behooves you to just upgrade to a midFI set and call it a day. MidFI well regarded gear will be classics eg Tanchjim Oxygen, and reselling them is easy. TOTL gear maybe gives you 10 - 20% sonic improvement from midFI bracket IEMs, but at 10x the price, so the sweetspot IMHO is at the midFI region.

Easier said that done though, the FOMO of budget hypetrains is strong in CHIFIland!!!

But anyway, a good gauge of whether something is a fake hypetrain or a keeper, is whether after 3 months, the IEM in question is still talked about or recommended by others on forums. Around 70% or so of the budget sidegrade pokemon fall by the wayside after a few weeks, so that is kind of a way to sieve the chaff.
Wow...sometime when I read you its like reading in my mind lol I guess it's the experience that talk here since were both on Headfi and into Chifi since long time...

Mid-fi sure is the sweet spot. For ex, i can live with this trio: Hisenior T2U (neutral-analytical), Audiosense AQ4 (warm bassy yet well balanced) and Audiosense T800 (W near basshead)....hum, if i was going DD thoug i would say: Final E4000-BQEYZ Autumn-Aune Jasper

Okay, i just can't be the minimalist type.

Anyway BIG +1 about waiting for post hype 2-3months after new IEM release to conclude if it worth a buy, I can't count number of hyped IEM that fall into dust after hype train...exception like HZsound Mirror, Blon BL03, Aria and yes even T800 (it have a solid fan base and I think only Crin despise them on whole planet earth) are prime exemple. Final E serie too.

Did you think Tripowin Olina will pass test of time?

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #29,927 of 31,845
Wow...sometime when I read you its like reading in my mind lol I guess it's the experience that talk here since were both on Headfi and into Chifi since long time...

Mid-fi sure is the sweet spot. For ex, i can live with this trio: Hisenior T2U (neutral-analytical), Audiosense AQ4 (warm bassy yet well balanced) and Audiosense T800 (W near basshead)....hum, if i was going DD thoug i would say: Final E4000-BQEYZ Autumn-Aune Jasper

Anyway BIG +1 about waiting for post hype 2-3months after new IEM release to conclude if it worth a buy, I can't count number of hyped IEM that fall into dust after hype train...exception like HZsound Mirror, Blon BL03, Aria and yes even T800 (it have a solid fan base and I think only Crin despise them on whole planet earth) are prime exemple. Final E serie too.

Lol me to have collected a lot of cheap pokemon looking for the TOTL iem. 😂

I may say that with forumers hepl all are nice iems, but by now the best of the whole bounch are Tanja, Shozy 1.1 and Aria.

Please may anyone put them together in only one iem? 😉😂

Probably if I have to choose only one cheap iems I'll buy the C12 as all rounder. :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #29,928 of 31,845
Lol me to have collected a lot of cheap pokemon looking for the TOTL iem. 😂

I may say that with forumers hepl all are nice iems, but by now the best of the whole bounch are Tanja, Shozy 1.1 and Aria.

Please may anyone put them together in only one iem? 😉😂

Probably if I have to choose only one cheap iems I'll buy the C12 as all rounder. :xf_cool:
lol, yep, thats the rabbit hole people talk about, well, i collect alot of pokemon AND bakugan mate!
its time a throw some to random people

but you know what? i bite to MOONDROP CHU hype right now...and i'm excited like a kiddo about them. impressions from some trustable reviewer was so positive, it really make me believe these might be budget ''driam'' like Blon BL03 at the time...but cabled way.

He say it sound like a Aria with less sub bass boost and slightly inferior technicalities, and its WAY better than underwhelming Quarks. (not dry, not compressed, clean and open he seem to suggest)

I do think that if you go Hisenior T2 classic....you will at least save 100$ for 2 reason, oh damn...it's 120$ now...still worth it...if yu search for open analytical lively monitor like sound signature. Its another example of unerhyped IEM that pass test of time (make 3 years it exist i think).

Tinhifi P1plus is great too ,super underatted as well....but at they end, tonality is subjective and your the only one to know what is your holy grail musical enjoyment.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #29,929 of 31,845

Yeah actually I think the Olina is one of the better sets under $100 USD. I rate it in the same bracket as Moondrop Aria and Dunu Titan S.

And I still use my Audiosense T800 at least once a week, even though it is like almost 3 years old. And 3 years in CHIFIland is an eternity!

Is Audiosense AQ4 good? It looks very basshead on graphs!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #29,930 of 31,845
lol, yep, thats the rabbit hole people talk about, well, i collect alot of pokemon AND bakugan mate!
its time a throw some to random people

but you know what? i bite to MOONDROP CHU hype right now...and i'm excited like a kiddo about them. impressions from some trustable reviewer was so positive, it really make me believe these might be budget ''driam'' like Blon BL03 at the time...but cabled way.

He say it sound like a Aria with less sub bass boost and slightly inferior technicalities, and its WAY better than underwhelming Quarks. (not dry, not compressed, clean and open he seem to suggest)

I do think that if you go Hisenior T2 classic....you will at least save 100$ for 2 reason, oh damn...it's 120$ now...still worth it...if yu search for open analytical lively monitor like sound signature. Its another example of unerhyped IEM that pass test of time (make 3 years it exist i think).

Tinhifi P1plus is great too ,super underatted as well....but at they end, tonality is subjective and your the only one to know what is your holy grail musical enjoyment.
The Rabbit hole Is really Deep and I've a lot of pokemon in my list. Lol

The Chu, CRA, Quarks, TC01 and I'm waiting to read some reviews about the Waist Drum, the Olina and Titan S as Baskingshark suggest,
Yeah actually I think the Olina is one of the better sets under $100 USD. I rate it in the same bracket as Moondrop Aria and Dunu Titan S.

And I still use my Audiosense T800 at least once a week, even though it is like almost 3 years old. And 3 years in CHIFIland is an eternity!

Is Audiosense AQ4 good? It looks very basshead on graphs!
About my doctor Jeckill and mr Basshead side I've in my list the Reecho SG03 and the Tingker TK300, but now I'm really courious about the AQ4, just double my budget, but the graph Is really interesting. :) :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #29,931 of 31,845
CVJ Mirror is worth a look. Flown largely under the radar, but there have been a couple of reviews on it. So when it was down to $35 on AE during the Anniversary sale I picked one up. They are often on sale under $40.

I'm very impressed with them. I like neutral signature with a bass boost. These fit right in.

I don't personally own any of the other IEMs that were compared in the following video. I find Acros reviews are pretty accurate, reliable and more objective than most.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #29,932 of 31,845
Look who just arrive at my door step! The TRIPOWIN OLINA, finally. Post-hype impressions will be interesting i think.
1650561604289.png

1650561639393.png

So very fresh impulsive 5min impressions (to take with BIG grain of salt)

Resolution is very impressive as well as soundstage, which is quite wide and tall, open and out of your head.

Bass have thump, good texture. Timbre is quite realist, transparent and versatile, saxophone, violin all sound good with slight focus on texture, it's not thin nor super thick. Clavichord sound better than piano, due to treble bite and hint of upper mids boost it seem...but their not alot of sparkle and decay to note hit.

Vocal and woodwind instrument sound superb.

Bass is a bit imprevisible....the punch is a bit dry and rumble is a bit off....in the other hand, acoustic kick drum sound very good and well define, with great texture.

To my ears, mid and treble take center of the show while bass is a bit overshadow.

OLINA doesn't disapoint me at all and my expectation were crazy high...it's brighter than i expect tough even if not agressive W shape, its a balanced W shape with rather safe well polished brightness.

I will compare them to HZsound Mirror, Aria and Kato in my upcoming review. People say they need burn in as well, so my impressions might evolve with time.

Anyhow, this isn't a BS hype. In fact, they remind me Kato alot, but with more open soundstage and perhaps slightly inferior clarity...

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #29,933 of 31,845
I like to much the EA1 to don't do samething for the unnatural timbre.
The problemi is the artificial trebbles so first I have try foam tips to tame them a little but don't works....mumble mumble I've got all my cables and choose the one that fit....and the magic is done!

Now EA1 plays perfect, nothing is lost in the trebbles airy and extension.:)

The problem is the stock cable, I've try more cables to be shure, all play better then the original indipendently by the price or the number of cores. (I've choose a four core that comes stock with don't know what pokemon probably less expensive than the original)

Now I'm totally happy with them. 😃😉

But I'm asking to myself....the producers don't try the iems to tune them at the best before put them on the market?🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #29,934 of 31,845
Look who just arrive at my door step! The TRIPOWIN OLINA, finally. Post-hype impressions will be interesting i think.
1650561604289.png
1650561639393.png

So very fresh impulsive 5min impressions (to take with BIG grain of salt)

Resolution is very impressive as well as soundstage, which is quite wide and tall, open and out of your head.

Bass have thump, good texture. Timbre is quite realist, transparent and versatile, saxophone, violin all sound good with slight focus on texture, it's not thin nor super thick. Clavichord sound better than piano, due to treble bite and hint of upper mids boost it seem...but their not alot of sparkle and decay to note hit.

Vocal and woodwind instrument sound superb.

Bass is a bit imprevisible....the punch is a bit dry and rumble is a bit off....in the other hand, acoustic kick drum sound very good and well define, with great texture.

To my ears, mid and treble take center of the show while bass is a bit overshadow.

OLINA doesn't disapoint me at all and my expectation were crazy high...it's brighter than i expect tough even if not agressive W shape, its a balanced W shape with rather safe well polished brightness.

I will compare them to HZsound Mirror, Aria and Kato in my upcoming review. People say they need burn in as well, so my impressions might evolve with time.

Anyhow, this isn't a BS hype. In fact, they remind me Kato alot, but with more open soundstage and perhaps slightly inferior clarity...

Bro have you heard the Tanchjim Oxygen?

Tripowin Olina versus Oxygen Graph.jpg

Graph of Olina versus Oxygen via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8/9 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

The Olina is being hyped primarily cause it graphs similarly as the Oxygen, and supposedly uses similar drivers too. But the shell housing is different, nozzle diameter/length is different, damping/driver location may be different too. So surely they won't sound exactly the same, even with the purported same graphs/drivers. Graphs don't tell the full story too (sorry to the measurebators).

The Olina is a very good sub $100 set though, I think it can hit around 70% of the Oxygen for 2.5x cheaper. So in terms of price-performance ratio, Olina is really quite good, it can compete with some midFI single DDs like KATO and Autumn in technicalities even.

However, Oxygen is still better in my book. On A/B testing, the Oxygen is smoother, and less fatiguing and less sibilant than the Olina. Oxygen has better timbral accuracy too, with less nasal vocals than the Olina. In technicalities, for soundstage (width and depth), imaging, and instrument separation, the Oxygen is slightly better. The Olina also has a less tight bass than the Oxygen. But diminishing returns are there to get the Oxygen over the Olina.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #29,935 of 31,845
Bro have you heard the Tanchjim Oxygen?

Graph of Olina versus Oxygen via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8/9 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

The Olina is being hyped primarily cause it graphs similarly as the Oxygen, and supposedly uses similar drivers too. But the shell housing is different, nozzle diameter/length is different, damping/driver location may be different too. So surely they won't sound exactly the same, even with the purported same graphs/drivers. Graphs don't tell the full story too (sorry to the measurebators).

The Olina is a very good sub $100 set though, I think it can hit around 70% of the Oxygen for 2.5x cheaper. So in terms of price-performance ratio, Olina is really quite good, it can compete with some midFI single DDs like KATO and Autumn in technicalities even.

However, Oxygen is still better in my book. On A/B testing, the Oxygen is smoother, and less fatiguing and less sibilant than the Olina. Oxygen has better timbral accuracy too, with less nasal vocals than the Olina. In technicalities, for soundstage (width and depth), imaging, and instrument separation, the Oxygen is slightly better. The Olina also has a less tight bass than the Oxygen. But diminishing returns are there to get the Oxygen over the Olina.
Great comparison!

More I try iems and read all yours impressions about iems sound more I convince me that the Harman Targhet Is the best way to tune an headphone/iem.

This is the same story with the studio monitor headphone, old school Sony MDR 7506 vs Audio Technical mx50, honestly between the two I'll choose the AKG 371.

Indipendently if one is a basshead or a trebbles entusiast the sound reproduction must be always tonally correct.

The bass have to be tight, deep and present when music call for them and don't blead in the mids so much to alter the natural timbre and the trebbles must be extended and airy but not pearcing or sibilant.

The different price range have to be justify by the reproduction's quality, details retrive, transient speed and correct decay, spatial and firm ensable positioning.

The sound firm could be more warm or open clear but never bloaty or metallic/harsh with unnatural peaks in any part of the spectrum.

Boomy bass, muddy mids and pearcing sibilant highs are only bad sounding engeenering choices.

This are my two cents. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #29,937 of 31,845
HZSound Waistdrum,
1650595725173.png
Which name apparently refers to this instrument, (which somehow didn't appear in the anime waifu)
1650595903099.png
But for some reason my mind when i heard Waist drum, it goes to

🤔 If this iem make move my girlfriend like the anime one I'll buy it immidiatly! 🤓😈

😂😂😂👍

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #29,938 of 31,845
The CHU CHU hypetrain has arrived.

Moondrop CHU quick impressions:
c5b162cd-ba31-47c0-8a8d-456c528ed4f2.jpg

So this is the biggest hypetrain of this month. Haha Olina seems to be yesterday's train.

The CHU cost $20, and they come with Moondrop Spring tips which are by themselves retailing at $15. So think of getting the CHU for $5 LOL.
Accessories are generous for the $20, comes with a small bag, earhooks, spring tips (S/M/L).
f0374bce-b506-47e3-a063-b819f546f8d2.jpg

Oh ya, it comes with the quintessential Moondrop Waifu, which perhaps for some, is worth more than the $20 entrance fee haha.

The cable is non detachable, quite thin and hard to keep it winded down. Surprisingly, there are minimal microphonics. In view of the lack of chin cinch, the cable may unwind when you are using it over the ears, so I would recommend to put the earhooks on.

The CHU has very good fit, is quite small yet very comfortable and suited for long listening sessions. Isolation is average with the spring tips. The CHU is very easy to drive, but scales slightly with amplification.

Moondrop CHU.jpg

Graph of the CHU via IEC711 compliant coupler. The 8 kHz area is a coupler artefact peak.

So on to sound, the most important part. Moondrop generally tunes their IEMs to their in-house sound signature, which is the virtual diffuse sound field (VDSF), this is an amalgam between diffuse field and Harman tuning. The CHU follows this curve.

CHU has A for tonality, there's nothing very glaring in terms of major peaks/troughs in the tuning.

Bass is actually quite neutral, contrary to the graphs. There's a tickle of sub-bass in bass heavy tracks, and this set is not for bassheads. Bass isn't the most detailed, but it is fast and nimble with no mid-bass bleed. Bass texturing is average. The upper mids are actually quite smooth, not that fatiguing or shouty. Lower treble is boosted, but the upper treble rolls-off quite early.

Note weight is thin, timbre can occasionally be nasal with the stock spring tips. Timbre for acoustic instruments is decent enough, there's a slight metallic tinge at times.

In technicalities, the CHU doesn't fare that well. Imaging is actually very good for the price, but micro-details and soundstage aren't that great. In fact, the soundstage is quite compressed, width is average, but depth and height are below average and music sounds in-your-head. When music tracks get complex or busy, the CHU can't keep up and stuff smears. Though in the big scheme of things, the CHU cost $20, so this is being quite nitpicky.

Using aftermarket eartips eg Spinfit CP145 opens up the sound and soundstage, provides more clarity and is my preferred eartip with the CHU. Though the irony is some of these aftermarket eartips cost the same or even more than the CHU LOL.

So should you pick-a-chu? No pun intended.

Well, among the budget $20 pokemons, the CHU CHU hypetrain is somewhat deserved. It's not a total train wreck, and is decent enough. Tonality is A, but technicalities is around C grading. For the price of a restaurant meal, I'd gladly skip the meal for the CHU. CHU is recommended for those new to the hobby as a beginner set, but those who own a higher end single DD eg Aria, Olina, it might not be worth it to get this set, unless you want the Spring tips. Will do some comparisons with other $20 stuff like the BLON BL-03, Tripowin Lea, Tanya and report back.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #29,939 of 31,845
long time since I've been in here (got super into earbuds in the meantime, have sold most of those) - what's good, what's not good, what's not worthy of being more than a flavour-of-the-month pick?

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #29,940 of 31,845
long time since I've been in here (got super into earbuds in the meantime, have sold most of those) - what's good, what's not good, what's not worthy of being more than a flavour-of-the-month pick?

Well IMHO, among single DD types, the budget ones that are good for the past few months are the:
1) Moondrop Aria
2) Tripowin Olina
3) DUNU Titan S
4) HZSound Heart Mirror

Users who are viewing this thread

Back