CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #29,851 of 31,849
Apr 10, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #29,852 of 31,849
20220409_132210.jpg

Earlier in late March I mentioned that there was a lucky bag on AliExpress for a Tri product, and recently I received it to find it was in fact the Tri Starsea.

Since I got them yesterday, I've only used their default tuning (both switches down), but OOTB using generic foam tips I'm satisfied. I feel they're sort of u-shaped with this tuning with well-bodied vocals and highs being more forward than the bass. I was a bit worried about the whole source pairing dilemmas I've read about regarding them, but they sound wonderful on both my Shanling M0 and Fiio M7, with differences pretty much how I predicted they'd be: Shanling M0 is slightly warmer with more recessed vocals with slightly smaller soundstage while Fiio M7 has slightly more extended treble. I like how it sounds on the latter more, yet still from baskingshark's information it seems like the M7's <2 ohms output impedance is a bit higher than what is ideal? Unbalanced, the HiBy FD1 is bassier than the M0, has even further extended treble and slightly more forward vocals on than the M7. Balanced accentuates these traits even further.

Compared with my current favourite IEMs and the only ones I've purchased for around the same price (actually, for a bit cheaper than the Starseas), the em tee three hundred, mids/vocals carry considerably more body, bass has less initial slam but seems to last longer (neither sets as I've tried them are particularly bass-heavy though), there is slightly smaller soundstage width. But then we get to the treble, and there is significantly more control in the higher treble than there is on the em tee three hundred so for my ears I get practically zero sibilance. This works wonders in songs where vocals/cymbals can get real hot on the three hundred; with the Starseas they are so much smoother and feel more natural to listen to while not leaving me craving for a lot more detail. Still, when I'm feeling adventurous and the the wider soundstage and super airy treble on the em tees ultimately win me over.

With these I get the smallest driver flex I've ever felt in the right ear. Even with the generic foam tips I still feel it, but it may as well be non-existant. Isolation is pretty killer on these, it's like ~65% the strength of the KZ ZS3's isolation which is to say they seal pretty tight - much, much more than my em tees. For my intended use case which is when outside while commuting, exercising (I took them with me for an evening stroll and with foam tips they fit snugly even as the walking gets brisk), etc., I think I'll be really happy with these. Looking forward to trying the other tunings!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #29,853 of 31,849
20220409_132210.jpg

Earlier in late March I mentioned that there was a lucky bag on AliExpress for a Tri product, and recently I received it to find it was in fact the Tri Starsea.

Since I got them yesterday, I've only used their default tuning (both switches down), but OOTB using generic foam tips I'm satisfied. I feel they're sort of u-shaped with this tuning with well-bodied vocals and highs being more forward than the bass. I was a bit worried about the whole source pairing dilemmas I've read about regarding them, but they sound wonderful on both my Shanling M0 and Fiio M7, with differences pretty much how I predicted they'd be: Shanling M0 is slightly warmer with more recessed vocals with slightly smaller soundstage while Fiio M7 has slightly more extended treble. I like how it sounds on the latter more, yet still from baskingshark's information it seems like the M7's <2 ohms output impedance is a bit higher than what is ideal? Unbalanced FD1 is bassier than the M0, has even further extended treble and slightly more forward vocals on than the M7. Balanced accentuates these traits even further.

Compared with my current favourite IEMs and the only ones I've purchased for around the same price (actually, for a bit cheaper than the Starseas), the em tee three hundred, mids/vocals carry considerably more body, bass has less initial slam but seems to last longer (neither sets as I've tried them are particularly bass-heavy though), there is slightly smaller soundstage width. But then we get to the treble, and there is significantly more control in the higher treble than there is on the em tee three hundred so for my ears I get practically zero sibilance. This works wonders in songs where vocals/cymbals can get real hot on the three hundred; with the Starseas they are so much smoother and feel more natural to listen to while not leaving me craving for a lot more detail. Still, when I'm feeling adventurous and the the wider soundstage and super airy treble on the em tees ultimately win me over.

With these I get the smallest driver flex I've ever felt in the right ear. Even with the generic foam tips I still feel it, but it may as well be non-existant. Isolation is pretty killer on these, it's like ~65% the strength of the KZ ZS3's isolation which is to say they seal pretty tight - much, much more than my em tees. For my intended use case which is when outside while commuting, exercising (I took them with me for an evening stroll and with foam tips they fit snugly even as the walking gets brisk), etc., I think I'll be really happy with these. Looking forward to trying the other tunings!
The Starsea and Em Tee 300 are two of my favourite IEMs. Try the "Amazing Bass" setting on the Starsea, that is very good.

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #29,854 of 31,849
Hi all.
A store on AliExpress send me an advice about the HZsound Waist Drum, but I've found nothing in internet.
It looks a preselling 4/12.
Anyone know anything about this iem?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #29,855 of 31,849
nope, imo a well balanced BA should not be easily spotted....like all this KZ-TRN-CCA crap with highs that jump at you like hooligans.
but man....its jut my fav out of 4 IEM....not a must have at all....i like the Emerald soundstage and imaging....bass is a bit resonant.

to each their own...
I just reviewed the Emerald having finally picked up the revised version. Really impressed with them, probably my favorites under $30.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ccz-emerald.25486/reviews#review-28273

Apr 12, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #29,857 of 31,849
20220409_132210.jpg

Since I got them yesterday, I've only used their default tuning (both switches down), but OOTB using generic foam tips I'm satisfied. I feel they're sort of u-shaped with this tuning with well-bodied vocals and highs being more forward than the bass. I was a bit worried about the whole source pairing dilemmas I've read about regarding them, but they sound wonderful on both my Shanling M0 and Fiio M7, with differences pretty much how I predicted they'd be: Shanling M0 is slightly warmer with more recessed vocals with slightly smaller soundstage while Fiio M7 has slightly more extended treble. I like how it sounds on the latter more, yet still from baskingshark's information it seems like the M7's <2 ohms output impedance is a bit higher than what is ideal? Unbalanced, the HiBy FD1 is bassier than the M0, has even further extended treble and slightly more forward vocals on than the M7. Balanced accentuates these traits even further.

I ordered those as well. If you look at the impedance, sensitivity, driver configuration and they tell you the brand..... :)
The previous one was Tri Meteor for US$66.

Despite it being advertised as being available until 1 April, it's still up for US$80!

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #29,858 of 31,849
I ordered those as well. If you look at the impedance, sensitivity, driver configuration and they tell you the brand..... :)
The previous one was Tri Meteor for US$66.

Despite it being advertised as being available until 1 April, it's still up for US$80!
wow...crazy good deal. I love the meteor. Lush immersive musicality.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #29,859 of 31,849
Apr 14, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #29,862 of 31,849
The Kbear KB04 Is at home.

This iem is surplising good for the price, fast and solid bass, transparent airy and detailed mids and highs....no much to complain for the price, but to my ears the low mids are thinner and the highs pearcing and fatiguing for long listening, tonality is shimmering but not so correct.

The burnin is again goin on but I've just try to change the cable with the Kbear 8core pure copper without great benefit (and don't fit well) and foam tips to tame the exuberant mids/highs, probably I'll try the mesh mod too.
Trebbles heads will like this iem, but for my personal taste is to much hot to enjoy the music.

Looking at Titan s and Olina I hope them haven't this kind of highs....
Probably for my taste could be better the Tforce Yuan Li?

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #29,863 of 31,849
The Kbear KB04 Is at home.

This iem is surplising good for the price, fast and solid bass, transparent airy and detailed mids and highs....no much to complain for the price, but to my ears the low mids are thinner and the highs pearcing and fatiguing for long listening, tonality is shimmering but not so correct.

The burnin is again goin on but I've just try to change the cable with the Kbear 8core pure copper without great benefit (and don't fit well) and foam tips to tame the exuberant mids/highs, probably I'll try the mesh mod too.
Trebbles heads will like this iem, but for my personal taste is to much hot to enjoy the music.

Looking at Titan s and Olina I hope them haven't this kind of highs....
Probably for my taste could be better the Tforce Yuan Li?

The kbear KB04 is a V shaped set with quite decent technicalities. Hot in upper mids and treble and timbre not the best.

I think it is decent enough for $20ish, but the three iems u described are all single DD and are more expensive. They have better timbre and are more refined than the KB04.

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #29,864 of 31,849
The kbear KB04 is a V shaped set with quite decent technicalities. Hot in upper mids and treble and timbre not the best.

I think it is decent enough for $20ish, but the three iems u described are all single DD and are more expensive. They have better timbre and are more refined than the KB04.
Yes I've read your reviews :wink:

As I say KB04 is good for the price and surplising revealing, but to me is to much fatiguing.

In your review you say Titann S and Olina are boot a little to hot in the trebles and I'm wandering if could be to much for my ears, Tforce seem to be more quiet.

To explain better NRA is my trebbles tollerance limits.😉😃

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #29,865 of 31,849
Yes I've read your reviews :wink:

As I say KB04 is good for the price and surplising revealing, but to me is to much fatiguing.

In your review you say Titann S and Olina are boot a little to hot in the trebles and I'm wandering if could be to much for my ears, Tforce seem to be more quiet.

To explain better NRA is my trebbles tollerance limits.😉😃

Olina is a little hot, but there is the simple mod of putting an extra (included) filter over the existing filter. "Shortbus Mod", all credit to Michael Bruce. I'm planning on trying KBEAR 07 tips on it first. They worked really well at taming same problem in CVJ Mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back