CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 6, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #27,946 of 31,846
Yes I will continue to record some notable IEMs for my sakešŸ‘ And yes Hiromiā€™s sonic bloom is a great progressive rock x jazz mix too! Love return to forever just as much I do for Keith Jarretā€™s Koln Concert!
Hey Spirit, I really think you should take a look at the AAW A3H+. I feel it's a bit better tuned than the Starsea, with a smaller peak at the lower treble region, and a bit more emphasis in the sub-bass.

May 6, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #27,947 of 31,846
Hey Spirit, I really think you should take a look at the AAW A3H+. I feel it's a bit better tuned than the Starsea, with a smaller peak at the lower treble region, and a bit more emphasis in the sub-bass.
It seems like we have different ear canals though, Starsea is S tonality to me, that means it couldnā€™t get any better. But yea I will keep AAW A3H+ in my mind.

May 6, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #27,948 of 31,846
This is off topic but everybody who likes these should hear the Paul Bley album "Open, To Love." If you want one track, "Ida Lupino." You can thank me later.
Will try tomorrow!

May 6, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #27,949 of 31,846
For someone considering Tri Starsea, as when itā€™s on sale they usually come to around $106. The shop only focuses on their face plate, of which I think the real beauty is actually whatā€™s behind; here is Starsea at night
FD086949-FFF7-4FA1-9578-375BCF3105CD.jpeg1A6A2DA3-4BCB-4674-B05D-935EE4837383.jpegEFE71B2E-F1A8-4FB0-9B07-7677DDC7E44F.jpeg
Itā€™s full resin, and very nicely shaped pseudo-custom full resin shell. Same with belssing 2 and S8 shells.
IMG_20210503_213941.jpg

IMG_20210503_214549.jpg
IMG_20210503_214505.jpg
IMG_20210503_214449.jpg
IMG_20210503_214411.jpg

I dont dislike the look of the NA2s but the Starseas are a winner in that department, good thing that the starseas are actually pretty standard sized so fit isnt a problem for me, although i wouldnt be able to sleep with them like i do with NA2s, they create too much pressure in the ear and might wake up "deaf". (Note that NA2 has 2 vents and Starsea only 1)

Also the included case with the Starseas is more of a display item, its too big to carry it around in your pockets but too small to fit a bunch of iems, cables and tips.

Unlike the case included with my XINHS cable.

IMG_20210504_201737.jpg
IMG_20210504_202346.jpg

But yeah, treble wise the Starseas are wonderful, cant call it "TOTL" as these are the most expensive iems ive heard, so ill take your word for it.

When you can give this a listen if you havent.

May 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #27,950 of 31,846
Yes I will continue to record some notable IEMs for my sakešŸ‘ And yes Hiromiā€™s sonic bloom is a great progressive rock x jazz mix too! Love return to forever just as much I do for Keith Jarretā€™s Koln Concert!
looks like we have some similar music catalogue... šŸ˜Š I love the Koln concert too...

not sure whether you aware... with Traut & Rodby's excellent acoustic bass & electric guitar duo... (Steve Rodby is basist member of Pat Metheny Group)

The track I always use to test bass texture and electric guitar... in the same song. The YouTube one unfortunately cannot really show the real quality of this song...

CCA CSN sounded great on this song...

May 6, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #27,951 of 31,846
I havenā€™t read this thread, but if the Jade Audio EA1 hasnā€™t been mentioned, it should be. Itā€™s definitely a v-shaped sound, but the treble can be tamed in the traditional community fashion(s). If someone with measurement capabilities and a desire to mod got ahold of this, this could be a real budget king. Itā€™s got fairly deep, clean, fast bass with a clean midrange, above average imaging and soundstage, but crippled by too much pinna gain and too little sibilants damping. Fix those 2 problems and youā€™ve got a real bang for the buck championā€”and beyond.

May 6, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #27,952 of 31,846
BL-05s or Whizzer Kylin HE01?
If you didn't like the look of the HE01, the BL-05s divides opinion with its bright green hue! IMO, sound wise, the BLON is a little more V shaped than the HE01 with good timbre and better treble than the 03, and the HE01 is more refined and more balanced.

May 6, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #27,953 of 31,846
I havenā€™t read this thread, but if the Jade Audio EA1 hasnā€™t been mentioned, it should be. Itā€™s definitely a v-shaped sound, but the treble can be tamed in the traditional community fashion(s). If someone with measurement capabilities and a desire to mod got ahold of this, this could be a real budget king. Itā€™s got fairly deep, clean, fast bass with a clean midrange, above average imaging and soundstage, but crippled by too much pinna gain and too little sibilants damping. Fix those 2 problems and youā€™ve got a real bang for the buck championā€”and beyond.

The bass of Jade Audio is really pleasant for sure. It only needs a little bit of eq on the highs (or just a foam tips to cover them with bass)

May 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #27,954 of 31,846
IMG_20210503_213941.jpg

IMG_20210503_214549.jpgIMG_20210503_214505.jpgIMG_20210503_214449.jpgIMG_20210503_214411.jpg
I dont dislike the look of the NA2s but the Starseas are a winner in that department, good thing that the starseas are actually pretty standard sized so fit isnt a problem for me, although i wouldnt be able to sleep with them like i do with NA2s, they create too much pressure in the ear and might wake up "deaf". (Note that NA2 has 2 vents and Starsea only 1)

Also the included case with the Starseas is more of a display item, its too big to carry it around in your pockets but too small to fit a bunch of iems, cables and tips.

Unlike the case included with my XINHS cable.

IMG_20210504_201737.jpgIMG_20210504_202346.jpg

But yeah, treble wise the Starseas are wonderful, cant call it "TOTL" as these are the most expensive iems ive heard, so ill take your word for it.

When you can give this a listen if you havent.

Love Joe Hisaishi, his recording is generally super high quality mastered/mixed by top-notch professionals and his music is one of best representing modern Japanese classical composersšŸ‘ Welcome to Starsea club!

May 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #27,955 of 31,846
May 6, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #27,956 of 31,846
It could be unit variance, But Jade Audio not really sound anywhere near good to my ear. They sounded a failed Thieaudio Legacy3 which I also think is a failure of their attempts on catchy V-shape.

Basically one-note bass ā€œbooomā€ dominating whole room, no sound stage or whatsoever, with strangely tuned punishing trebles. It failed in terms of resonance. May works for pitch dark basshead though. But even though the bass resonance is uncontrolled, there are a lot of competitors offering better bass.

Clasaical/Jazz/Female vocals/ambient; KBEar Lark
Rock/Metal/oldies; KZ DQ6
Male Vocals and baritone instruments : CCA CSN
EDM/Electronica; KZ ZSN pro X
Asian Pops(J-pop, K-pop etc); TRN TA1

Surely Jade Audio got big diameter dybamic driver for bass, that does not mean good quality. Itā€™s good in quantity, quality wise it lacks definition, lacks texturing, very boomy like those low-end out of control bass. For the price they failed my measurements, in terms of bass, KZ DQ6 handles bass very well.
856DB070-6C1F-4763-8048-B73F1B087A33.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #27,957 of 31,846
If you didn't like the look of the HE01, the BL-05s divides opinion with its bright green hue! IMO, sound wise, the BLON is a little more V shaped than the HE01 with good timbre and better treble than the 03, and the HE01 is more refined and more balanced.
Sound like HE01 is bright neutral like Lark, and it seems itā€™s an upgraded Lark with larger sound stage

May 6, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #27,958 of 31,846
Sound like HE01 is bright neutral like Lark, and it seems itā€™s an upgraded Lark with larger sound stage

HE01 is not neutral bright like Lark, it isn't as bright. I would describe the HE01 as a mild V shaped set.

I think the HE01 is not as fatiguing in the treble as the Lark, and it has better timbral accuracy and tonality as per its single DD roots. Lark, being a hybrid, has slightly better technicalities, but I find that the Lark is hotter and has some boosted higher frequencies to give more clarity and hence perceived details.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #27,959 of 31,846
HE01 is not neutral bright like Lark, it isn't as bright. I would describe the HE01 as a mild V shaped st.

I think the HE01 is not as fatiguing in the treble as the Lark, and it has better timbral accuracy and tonality as per its single DD roots. Lark, being a hybrid, has slightly better technicalities, but I find that the Lark is hotter and has some boosted higher frequencies to give more clarity and hence perceived details.
I see, much sounds like refined HeartMirror then! Yes Larkā€™s treble is very hot, some may find fatiguing in an exchange of detail retrieval .

May 6, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #27,960 of 31,846
After some time playing around with DQ6 and Blon BL-03, Blon's sound is much better for me. I really like its tonality. Still, I think either DQ6 and my old ZSN has better sound separation/soundstage (perhaps imaging too...).

I am now wondering, without falling to much in this "rabbit hole", If there is a worthy IEM, around 80 USD (lower is better) with both benefits fom the KZs and the BL-03 that suits a very casual user like me. Some info to help you out:

• Casual user definition for me is that guy that does not want to fiddle with mods, equalizers, AMPs/DAC, FLACs, etc.. I, for instance, use Youtube Music in High Settings most of the time and my "PAD", when mobile, is my Samsung S10e;
  • I can invest in better cables/tips to improve sound, no problem at all. I already have some good tips.
  • I listen to all kind of music: most of them pop music from 80s and 90s, but sometimes classical music, Brazilian Bossa Nova, jazz, rock (from Pink Floyd to Iron Maiden), hip hop...
  • I am really sensitive to KZ sound signature (treble peaks? Too much energy/agression?). I don't know how to describe it properly.
So, can you guys recommend me an IEM, around 80USD, that retains the BL03 sound tonality and improves the technical aspects? A friend recommended a Tripowin TC01, what do you think? Or, considering the scenario above, another IEM would not provide much advantages?
Moondrop Aria ( šŸŽ¤ drop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back