CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 6, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #27,961 of 31,867
Sorry to be contrarian but I tried both IT00 and Tin T2+ based on head-fi recommendations. I really wanted to like both of them.

IT00 had a BIG bass and a plush sound but I found them quite uncomfortable--the bottom edge of the shell is straight (against a curved ear) and has a sharp seam. There was also driver flex, a big CRUNCHY sound when you inserted them using silicone tips (the best seal I had). You could switch to foam tips but it would inflate the bass and further roll off the top end.

T2+ has a great comfortable fit and a pleasant sound. BUT in the midrange where rock and soul live -- guitars and horns -- it's very recessed. Prince, for instance, was nearly offstage. It also somehow brings out the lower end of most instrument sounds, sometimes so much that the song seemed to be in a lower key compared to listening through other IEMs. I used them with EQ for awhile to boost the midrange, but you explicitly don't want to do that.

I sold both of them and got the ISN D02, which is much fatter--you can't lie on your side wearing it--but somehow fits very comfortably. They've been kind of trampled by more recent hype but they are pretty solid. Or you might want to go with one of the more recent (but unheard by me) IEMs like the widely praised Aria.

If you are not a pumped-up bass fan you also should consider Etymotic, one of the OG IEM companies. (Not Chi-fi so not mentioned in this thread.) A lot of people swear by their clarity and precision, though some find them sterile or think they push too deep in your ear.

There are deals at these links--$69, by far the best price--for both the ER3SE--studio edition, flat reference response, might feel anemic in bass--and ER3XR, which has a bass boost. The ER2 equivalents (in head-fi post linked below) are even cheaper. Adorama has a one-month return policy if you're in the USA and haven't destroyed the buds or packaging; it would cost you about $10 to ship them back if they're not for you.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer3se.html?emailPrice=t
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailPrice=t

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/etymotic-discussion-impressions-index-in-1st-post.956629/

Those prices are great. I was interested in the ER2XR. That's the only one I don't see a link for. Does it ever go for $49?

May 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #27,962 of 31,867
Those prices are great. I was interested in the ER2XR. That's the only one I don't see a link for. Does it ever go for $49?
Sign up for Adorama's mailing list--which is where those links come from--click on their listing (to get a cookie) and cross your fingers that the algorithm sends you an offer. Or for the extra $20 get the ER3XR, which are likely an upgrade.

May 7, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #27,963 of 31,867
It could be unit variance, But Jade Audio not really sound anywhere near good to my ear. They sounded a failed Thieaudio Legacy3 which I also think is a failure of their attempts on catchy V-shape.

Basically one-note bass “booom” dominating whole room, no sound stage or whatsoever, with strangely tuned punishing trebles. It failed in terms of resonance. May works for pitch dark basshead though. But even though the bass resonance is uncontrolled, there are a lot of competitors offering better bass.

Clasaical/Jazz/Female vocals/ambient; KBEar Lark
Rock/Metal/oldies; KZ DQ6
Male Vocals and baritone instruments : CCA CSN
EDM/Electronica; KZ ZSN pro X
Asian Pops(J-pop, K-pop etc); TRN TA1

Surely Jade Audio got big diameter dybamic driver for bass, that does not mean good quality. It’s good in quantity, quality wise it lacks definition, lacks texturing, very boomy like those low-end out of control bass. For the price they failed my measurements, in terms of bass, KZ DQ6 handles bass very well.
Probably the quantity of bass its-not-for-every-ear, but it didn't seem to me uncontrolled.

About DQ6, bass probably is a little bit defined, but I still having problem with transition on the frecuencies.

To me, they are not comparable. Jade audio shouls be compare to any TFZ. Both perfect for rap or electronic music.

EDIT. I usually play them with an ESS, they change a lot when I plug on AKM dac.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #27,964 of 31,867
Probably the quantity of bass its-not-for-every-ear, but it didn't seem to me uncontrolled.

About DQ6, bass probably is a little bit defined, but I still having problem with transition on the frecuencies.

To me, they are not comparable. Jade audio shouls be compare to any TFZ. Both perfect for rap or electronic music.

EDIT. I usually play them with an ESS, they change a lot when I plug on AKM dac.
DQ6’s weakness is frequency transition, it’s not the most smoothest curve, many dips and hiccups as well. But when a distortion on guitar with numerous other distortions of rock slammed together those Hiccups could be simply forgiving, in fact I’ve played in many live houses, and some small ones have same type of odd acoustics, so some may feel small live house experiece with DQ6 due to its weird yet somehow nicely tuned curve.

Jade Audio compared to that is more of “sitting next to Bassist’s amp with mixing guy sneezed and suddently turned 8k bar to the top with painful tinnitus” style. Which I think it’s not a all rounder for many audience. Bass range do resonate, and if it does it simply will make bass line uncontrollable due to its excessive quantity, so it it matches with one’s sweet spot, it would stay calm, if not, longer wave length cacophony is a thing I will call catastrophe.

When recommending that it may need some foot notes.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #27,965 of 31,867
Topic: KBEAR LARK old vs new version
Hmm...interesting
The green shell is old(some refer it as “4K”, the one has a 4khz peak), the dark shell is new( new batch from Oct 2020, the current production).

Sound-wise, I prefer the old version, the "4K" version as it has a brighter signature, but maybe things could change as I fully burn that new Lark in.
The new LARK is less-fatiguing and would suit better for long-term sessions, but I feel that nerf'd the one and only LARK's outstanding talent.. However the new LARK is warmer, the impression may change when the bass driver gets fully burned in.
5485AC8D-2040-4543-ABBC-81F3D49518DB.jpeg
60690786-A5C1-41BB-B08C-3F1F5FA36ED9.jpeg
A34AEB86-ACEF-4FFA-9083-1EF03003DB71.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #27,966 of 31,867
DQ6’s weakness is frequency transition, it’s not the most smoothest curve, many dips and hiccups as well. But when a distortion on guitar with numerous other distortions of rock slammed together those Hiccups could be simply forgiving, in fact I’ve played in many live houses, and some small ones have same type of odd acoustics, so some may feel small live house experiece with DQ6 due to its weird yet somehow nicely tuned curve.

Jade Audio compared to that is more of “sitting next to Bassist’s amp with mixing guy sneezed and suddently turned 8k bar to the top with painful tinnitus” style. Which I think it’s not a all rounder for many audience. Bass range do resonate, and if it does it simply will make bass line uncontrollable due to its excessive quantity, so it it matches with one’s sweet spot, it would stay calm, if not, longer wave length cacophony is a thing I will call catastrophe.

When recommending that it may need some foot notes.
This is why I consider the CCA CSN a winner in this area. Easier to listen to songs while going through numerous instrument changes. This type of tuning was well thought of by the CCA team. Though, I still like both the CSN and also the DQ6's weird nicely tuned curves, as well.

PS. They are a brother and sister team...I can't have one without the other. I will always have a place for the CSN and the DQ6 in my collection. :ksc75smile:

-Clear

May 8, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #27,967 of 31,867
For me Moondrop Aria is not a sub100 class single DD IEM, once the outer filter removed, it well knocks NF audio NM2+ off and the technicalities for most of frequency range except mid, is very high. Put aside its wide sound stage, Aria does great job in most of technical aspect such as instrument coordination ( again not vocals), focusing of image, vector and momentum presentation, dynamic range illustration.

As a single DD moondrop Starfield and KXXS is no competition. The bass range control and accuracy is what I’d rate S tier with Azla Xelastec tips. Not many dynamic driver can have accuracy and impact at the same time, only sizable few, like UM MEST MKII, and I believe, pure beryllium drivers would do. Of which I’m still getting KBEAR Believe, and my expectation will be it will par with pure-beryllium driver Believe.

that's pretty daring statement. NM2+ is very good, can compete with $500 iems with correct ear tips.
Aria on the other hand...

May 8, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #27,968 of 31,867
that's pretty daring statement. NM2+ is very good, can compete with $500 iems with correct ear tips.
Aria on the other hand...
+1 Agree. The NM2+ is unbeatable on what a DD can present with vividness and details. Though, the NA2+ are unbeatable for it's precise combination of timbre and technicality with the "balanced" ear tips included in their package. The NA2+ sounds like a perfected combination of the BL03, BL01, and BL05s all wrapped up in one. Or, just think of it as a Tanchjim Oxygen with added technicality.

-Clear

May 8, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #27,969 of 31,867
+1 Agree. The NM2+ is unbeatable on what a DD can present with vividness and details. Though, the NA2+ are unbeatable for it's precise combination of timbre and technicality with the "balanced" ear tips included in their package. The NA2+ sounds like a perfected combination of the BL03, BL01, and BL05s all wrapped up in one. Or, just think of it as a Tanchjim Oxygen with added technicality.

-Clear
Are you going to get Aria too? Let me know if it’s in the same league as NM2+

May 8, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #27,970 of 31,867
Love Joe Hisaishi, his recording is generally super high quality mastered/mixed by top-notch professionals and his music is one of best representing modern Japanese classical composers👍 Welcome to Starsea club!
Btw, if you are getting Starshine, please review it... I want to get that, but afraid to spend that much. Having Believe with me, it’s hard to have an IEM as good as Believe.

May 8, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #27,971 of 31,867
Here is a little cheat sheet to find your endgame IEM:

-Finding gain spots (i.e. HRTF anchor point) as your shortcut to find Endgame IEM.

1️⃣Google “online tone generator”, use Neutral reference IEM(Final E500) for testing.

2️⃣Find your ear resonance start from sub-bass range, for me it’s 96Hz

3️⃣Multiply lowest reaonance point (for me 96hz), you can find your upper mid pinna gain range. 96x2x2x2x2x2=3,072hz (pinna gain) x 2 =6,144hx(concha gain) x 2 = third harmonics 12,288hz

4️⃣Your pinna gain spot, is most important resonance point, it is your personal Head-Related Transfer Function (HRTF). Seek IEM’s frequency response graph/chart, and see if the pinna gain spot of your interest coincides with your pinna gain peak spot. If matched, assess if the resonance is too strong or weak, if you have a perfect match, you will hear IEM as if you are hearing with your own ear.

5️⃣Those recaptured gain spots, 6.1kHz and 12.3kHz dip will reduce ear resonance thus reducing fatigues but other frequency range remained clear so if will not cost huge sacrifice on total presentation.

25FF5ED8-28D1-427F-B7E6-31871BEDF406.jpeg
E4F967C8-D31C-446F-8394-EC1A0ABBAC01.jpeg
F7387061-5014-4C24-9277-89D6F0A377EB.jpeg

here is the sample of how each frequency spikes and dips could cause to each hearing experiece, they set pinna gain around 2.5kHz, vs mine 3kHz so it’s a bit off phase char but it gives a good grasp: NM2+, to my gain spots, shares: sharp, edgy, piecing, accentuated characteristics with CNT/DLC hard material dynamic drivers, which I wouldn’t recommend to many audiences except a treble insensitive group, or simply their gain peaks are off phase of 6kHz&12k, say 4.8kHz & 13kHz like the chart below.

here is website that generates tones; and here is my guide to find your pinna/concha/third harmonics gain spots

Note: Crinacle seems got 2.8kHz gain spot, Antdroid 2.9kHz from their ideal curve, if anyone find their spots are on tie with them, your hearing experience could coincide with theirs. With exceptions individual’s taste. Mine is 3.1kHz. If you multiply by 2 of those 3k range, you will know your edgy/sharp/sibilance spots around 6k. 3k range can be varied from 2.5kHz to 3.5kHz by individuals, which means some one can feel 5kHz to be edgy/sharp/harsh, vs 7kHz for someone.
6BCF5E37-0579-4C5B-AC65-60A4D8D1ABD5.png

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #27,972 of 31,867
FTI,

I asked for a discount code from TRN official shop on Aliexpress, then they said”follow my shot and you get free earphone”
That appears to me TRN MT1, which I accidentally ordered on both Amazon and from TRN official store, it will be my third MT1😂 Those have not arrived yet, but I believe it will be a good gift for tablet users.
5D7313DB-3E95-45AB-8517-B5BEB8042642.png

May 8, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #27,973 of 31,867
Topic: KBEAR LARK old vs new version
Hmm...interesting
The green shell is old(some refer it as “4K”, the one has a 4khz peak), the dark shell is new( new batch from Oct 2020, the current production).

Sound-wise, I prefer the old version, the "4K" version as it has a brighter signature, but maybe things could change as I fully burn that new Lark in.
The new LARK is less-fatiguing and would suit better for long-term sessions, but I feel that nerf'd the one and only LARK's outstanding talent.. However the new LARK is warmer, the impression may change when the bass driver gets fully burned in.
KB LARK new model after 12 hours of burn-in:
-mellower thus softer tone, sound injection is more direct than old 4k version
-may work for someone who found former lark to be too edgy, it’s 4khz peak is nerfed and the tone is very welcoming, again a surprise from KBEAR after Tri Starsea. They got skills to fine-tune IEMs, even if it’s sub$30 model, it sounds very premium, not a typical Bellsing grainy tone. Piano sounds flawless.

Out of box impression vs original Lark was not that impressive, but now even after 12 hours of burn-in, thing changed. Muddy bass is gone and thus soft and warm yet very detail retrieving neutral tuning come to alive, some coloring in mid range, a very very soft veiling, I’d say it reminds me of mid range of Moondrop blessing2’s tuning.

vs old Lark:
-old Lark has 3-4khz peak which works for critical listening for detail retrieval for upper-mid, lower-treble, but in a long run it may cause some exhaustion, new Lark nerfed 4khz, remained 3khz peak, which relieved exhaustion factor yet some technical listeners may find lack of definition (studio monitor vs easy listening)

Afterall, this is very recommendable to someone looking for neutral and gentle fine-tuned budget option! Low Gain mode is recommended, this thing explodes with most of amp’s high gain and lose its delicacy.

used stock tip & cable, everything works just fine.

which version is your lark?
4k old version(pre Oct 2020)
-has no yellow thing around acoustic white filter
-BA is located on the edge of nozzle

New version (post Oct 2020)
-has yellow thing (manufacturer’s mod to nerf 4khz) on the acoustic filter
-BA is located at the center of the nozzle
D5AE9EB9-F768-4D41-B9A7-6656C82DCF07.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #27,974 of 31,867
If you removed filter of Aria, and still believe NM2+ got better treble, maybe we got different ear canals of treble resonance. To me NM2+ got bad resonance spikes on treble, 8-9khz&12khz, huge huge spikes. Those are my resonance spot for trebles. You can also see that from the measurements, a DLC or CNT driver with that particular big amplitude of spike on treble is “risky” for many audiences. LCP meanwhile, even with that kind of amplitude is softer touch, thus making listening experience more enjoyable✌️

here is the sample of how each frequency spikes and dips could cause to each hearing experiece, they set pinna gain around 2.5kHz, vs mine 3kHz so it’s a bit off phase char but it gives a good grasp: NM2+, to my gain spots, shares: sharp, edgy, piecing, accentuated characteristics with CNT/DLC hard material dynamic drivers, which I wouldn’t recommend to many audiences except a treble insensitive group, or simply their gain peaks are off phase of 6kHz&12k, say 4.8kHz & 13kHz like the chart below.

Note: Crinacle seems got 2.8kHz gain spot, Antdroid 2.9kHz from their ideal curve, if anyone find their spots are on tie with them, your hearing experience could coincide with theirs. With exceptions individual’s taste. Mine is 3.1kHz. If you multiply by 2 of those 3k range, you will know your edgy/sharp/sibilance spots around 6k. 3k range can be varied from 2.5kHz to 3.5kHz by individuals, which means some one can feel 5kHz to be edgy/sharp/harsh, vs 7kHz for someone.
6BCF5E37-0579-4C5B-AC65-60A4D8D1ABD5.png
How do you test for your gain spot(s)?

May 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #27,975 of 31,867
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back