CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #27,976 of 31,867
Here you gošŸ‘
[watch out for volume!, turn to zero then raise] embedded video may play with 100% volume from the beginningšŸ˜±
Iā€™m adding peaks and dip spots of each IEM on my comparison chart, and also addressing wether the IEM, from my spot standards are ā€œspot hitterā€ or ā€œconservative spot compensatorā€
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...s-sharing-reference-list.805930/post-16336743
Acutlaly that video link was bad one,
This is slower and better visualization
You can find your ear resonance even from sub-bass range, for me itā€™s 96hz.

if you multiply lowest reaonance point (for me 96hz), you can find your upper mid pinna gain range. 96x2x2x2x2x2=3,072hz (pinna gain) x 2 =6,144hx(concha gain) x 2 = third harmonics 12,288hz.

that 6.1khz and 12.3khz dip will reduce ear resonance thus reducing fatigues but other frequency range remained clear so if will not cost huge sacrifice on total presentation.

you surely will find sharp edge anywhere from 5khz-7khz. Neutral gear is recommended for testing.

if you divide that 6k range sharp edge by 2, thats your voice peak (pinna gain)

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #27,977 of 31,867
Acutlaly that video link was bad one,
This is slower and better visualization
You can find your ear resonance even from sub-bass range, for me itā€™s 96hz.

if you multiply lowest reaonance point (for me 96hz), you can find your upper mid pinna gain range. 96x2x2x2x2x2=3,072hz (pinna gain) x 2 =6,144hx(concha gain) x 2 = third harmonics 12,288hz.

that 6.1khz and 12.3khz dip will reduce ear resonance thus reducing fatigues but other frequency range remained clear so if will not cost huge sacrifice on total presentation.

you surely will find sharp edge anywhere from 5khz-7khz. Neutral gear is recommended for testing.

if you divide that 6k range sharp edge by 2, thats your voice peak (pinna gain)

@AmericanSpirit , I found this site referred from one comment of the YT channel you shared..

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Even easier to use since we could 'swep' the frequency with our finger...

May 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #27,978 of 31,867
Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #27,979 of 31,867
Here you gošŸ‘
[watch out for volume!, turn to zero then raise] embedded video may play with 100% volume from the beginningšŸ˜±
Iā€™m adding peaks and dip spots of each IEM on my comparison chart, and also addressing wether the IEM, from my spot standards are ā€œspot hitterā€ or ā€œconservative spot compensatorā€
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...s-sharing-reference-list.805930/post-16336743
Ah, thanks for the improved link. That initial one was pretty wonky.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #27,980 of 31,867
This is why I consider the CCA CSN a winner in this area. Easier to listen to songs while going through numerous instrument changes. This type of tuning was well thought of by the CCA team. Though, I still like both the CSN and also the DQ6's weird nicely tuned curves, as well.

PS. They are a brother and sister team...I can't have one without the other. I will always have a place for the CSN and the DQ6 in my collection. :ksc75smile:
Anyone: CCA CKX vs Moondrop Aria? Or more broadly: Where's the sweet spot in that $70-$80 range?

May 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #27,983 of 31,867
So just got a review unit of the marcaroni set, the BLON MINI.

It comes with the usual lame sackcloth pouch and the usual stock tips seen in other budget BLON sets.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.27.06.jpeg

Ok so to get the big elephant out of the room, it looks weird and even obscene in terms of shell shape, but surprisingly the fit is actually very ergonomic and comfortable. Better fit than the BLON BL-01 and BLON BL-03 for me. I think of the BLON siblings I have, only the BLON Cardinal (which features a shell that is similar to the BGVP DM6 and looks like a semi custom resin type shell) has better fit. Isolation is above average too, the IEM enters quite deep and gives a good seal. BLON has finally gotten a good fitting IEM without needing to mess around with aftermarket tips!

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.27.06 (1).jpeg

It is rather easy to drive, easier than the BLON BL-01. But as per most single DD, it can scale better with amping.

Now onto sound. This is a V shaped set in a nutshell.

Bass is north of neutral but not at basshead levels. The bass is on the slower and nebulous side, it does bleed and is boomy. So this causes some midbass bleed, some may like it for the warmth it adds to the lower mids, but some may not like it and want a faster bass. Perhaps aftermarket tips can tighten the bass, I'll do some tip rolling to see if the bass can be fixed.

Lower mids are mildly recessed but full from the previously described midbass bleed. Upper mids are rather smooth, nothing shouty. Treble doesn't extend that well, but around the lower treble 7 kHz region there are some peaks that can add sibilance and harshness here and there. Gotta do more listening to verify this.

Timbre is above average to good for a single DD set, not the best I've tried, but nothing artificial in timbre like some of the multi BA type CHIFI behemoths. I think the HZSound Heart Mirror at that price bracket still has better instrumental timbral accuracy.

Soundstage width is wide, but depth and height are probably below average.

Other aspects of technicalities are actually quite good for a single DD. Imaging and instrument separation are quite good for a single DD, details are above average.

TLDR: the BLON MINI does fix the fit issues of previous BLON iterations, but perhaps there are some tonal issues in the bass and treble. Will burn in and try tip rolling to see if these areas can be improved. Timbre is above average to good. Technicalities on the BLON MINI are quite good, but will need A/B testing versus other budget single DD to see how it stacks in the large pantheon of budget CHIFI single DD.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #27,985 of 31,867
Just got myself a pair of Final E tips for $24, that came with a basic looking IEM, E500. Plastic parts, non-swappable cables, but how come this thing is so well tuned...!
AEC96374-92BB-4F6F-8046-982D6F1E7D92.jpeg

-Almost non-existent harshness with great sense of neutrality, more precisely Diffusion field neutral

-E500 is better representing ā€œneutralā€ than KBEar Lark in this sub$30 segment

-Lark is more toward slightly brighter tuning with bit of bass engagement

-E500 tonality is simply colorless/translucent
-Cons: sub bass could use a couple of dB boost to have perfect flat, also air presentation may need some extensions

-very natural transient, OK resolution, great coherence. Above all it comes with full collection of Final Es

-immersive experience if it fits your personal HRTF, for me yes, it fits perfectly, second best immersive gadget for VR oculus quest use, besides Softears RSV

-best in price range class, sound coordination

Highly recommendable for anyone looking for:
-natural and neutral reference tuned IEM
-1/3 of a size of other IEMs
-fits perfectly to smaller size of ears
-non exhasting IEM for long term listening, small-sized, feather light
-accurate presentation of analog / binaural recordings
-buying premium Final E tips, just buy E500, it comes with great neutral reference!
-looking some IEM to play BeatSaber for oculus quest, this well fit the needs!

The sound reminds me of Softears RSV with lower sub bass floors. So Iā€™d say if someone interested how Softears RSV would sound, this may give you a hint, a mini RSV.

E500 proved its high sound coordination and positioning ability with natural and neutral decay, I will try the upgraded model of E500, Final VR3000 as next Final audioā€™s pursuit.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #27,986 of 31,867
Just got myself a pair of Final E tips for $24, that came with a basic looking IEM, E500. Plastic parts, non-swappable cables, but how come this thing is so well tuned...!

-Almost non-existent harshness with great sense of neutrality

-E500 is better representing ā€œneutralā€ than KBEar Lark in this sub$30 segment

-Lark is more toward slightly brighter tuning with bit of bass engagement

-E500 tonality is simply tasteless, sub bass could use couple of dB boost to have perfect flat, also air presentation may need some extensions

-very natural transient, OK resolution, great coherence. Above all it comes with full collection of Final Es

-immersive experience if it fits your personal HRTF, for me yes, it fits perfectly, second best immersive gadget for VR oculus quest use, besides Softears RSV

Highly recommendable for anyone looking for:
-natural and neutral reference tuned IEM
-1/3 of a size of other IEMs
-fits perfectly to smaller size of ears
-non exhasting IEM for long term listening, small-sized, feather light
-accurate presentation of analog / binaural recordings
-buying premium Final E tips, just buy E500, it comes with great neutral reference!
-looking some IEM to play BeatSaber for oculus quest, this well fit the needs!

The sound reminds me of Softears RSV with lower sub bass floors. So Iā€™d say if someone interested how Softears RSV would sound, this may give you a hint, a mini RSV.

Have you seen this video?

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av97941774/

May 9, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #27,987 of 31,867
Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #27,988 of 31,867
So just got a review unit of the marcaroni set, the BLON MINI.

It comes with the usual lame sackcloth pouch and the usual stock tips seen in other budget BLON sets.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.27.06.jpeg

Ok so to get the big elephant out of the room, it looks weird and even obscene in terms of shell shape, but surprisingly the fit is actually very ergonomic and comfortable. Better fit than the BLON BL-01 and BLON BL-03 for me. I think of the BLON siblings I have, only the BLON Cardinal (which features a shell that is similar to the BGVP DM6 and looks like a semi custom resin type shell) has better fit. Isolation is above average too, the IEM enters quite deep and gives a good seal. BLON has finally gotten a good fitting IEM without needing to mess around with aftermarket tips!

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.27.06 (1).jpeg

It is rather easy to drive, easier than the BLON BL-01. But as per most single DD, it can scale better with amping.

Now onto sound. This is a V shaped set in a nutshell.

Bass is north of neutral but not at basshead levels. The bass is on the slower and nebulous side, it does bleed and is boomy. So this causes some midbass bleed, some may like it for the warmth it adds to the lower mids, but some may not like it and want a faster bass. Perhaps aftermarket tips can tighten the bass, I'll do some tip rolling to see if the bass can be fixed.

Lower mids are mildly recessed but full from the previously described midbass bleed. Upper mids are rather smooth, nothing shouty. Treble doesn't extend that well, but around the lower treble 7 kHz region there are some peaks that can add sibilance and harshness here and there. Gotta do more listening to verify this.

Timbre is above average to good for a single DD set, not the best I've tried, but nothing artificial in timbre like some of the multi BA type CHIFI behemoths. I think the HZSound Heart Mirror at that price bracket still has better instrumental timbral accuracy.

Soundstage width is wide, but depth and height are probably below average.

Other aspects of technicalities are actually quite good for a single DD. Imaging and instrument separation are quite good for a single DD, details are above average.

TLDR: the BLON MINI does fix the fit issues of previous BLON iterations, but perhaps there are some tonal issues in the bass and treble. Will burn in and try tip rolling to see if these areas can be improved. Timbre is above average to good. Technicalities on the BLON MINI are quite good, but will need A/B testing versus other budget single DD to see how it stacks in the large pantheon of budget CHIFI single DD.

in your opinion, does it sound closer to the BL01 or BL03 in tuning?

May 9, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #27,989 of 31,867
in your opinion, does it sound closer to the BL01 or BL03 in tuning?

Closer to the BL-01 probably. My initial OOTB impression is that it might be a sidegrade to the BL-01, just that the MINI has better fit and doesn't require so much amping. Will need to do further A/B testing to confirm, but I think the MINI has slightly better technicalities than the BL-01 too.

May 10, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #27,990 of 31,867
Closer to the BL-01 probably. My initial OOTB impression is that it might be a sidegrade to the BL-01, just that the MINI has better fit and doesn't require so much amping. Will need to do further A/B testing to confirm, but I think the MINI has slightly better technicalities than the BL-01 too.
+1 Plus, the "mini" has quite a big soundstage once burned-in. Believe it, or not, I even like the technicality more than the BL05s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back