CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 16, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #24,286 of 31,833
Why are triple driver configs with 2DD+1BA so few in the chifi market despite others having monstrous number of drivers on them? I feel like triple driver config is the way to go, one driver per sound slab. ba for the highs. Also is there any triple driver config that you may recommend? except for the qt2. didnt like them
How about KBEAR KB06, (1DD + 2BA)

May 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #24,287 of 31,833
BLON BL-05
Unboxing and First Impressions

... and thus, another oppoty arises... okay I'll spare those jokes.

Here is a quick-fire rundown of what I think about the BL-05:
  • The packaging is mostly similar, the cable is still awful, the tips are still useless for most.
  • The fit is improved leaps and bounds. They are now legit comfortable and great for long-listening sessions, comfort-wise. I'm using Final-E type (Dark) tips btw.
  • I wouldn't call the overall signature V-shaped. It lacks the mid-bass body that most V-shaped IEMs have and frankly, vocals are not as recessed as you'd imagine. The signature definitely is tilted towards the presence region. Compared to the BL-03, it'll sound thinner with a colder tonality.
  • The mid-bass bump of the BL-03 is gone. Now the sub-bass is slightly boosted from 60Hz downward. Unfortunately, sub-bass rumble is missing post 28Hz.
  • The lower-mids are much thinner compared to the BL-03. The upper-mids meanwhile get an extra 2/3dB of boost. Nothing egregious in a sense but given the lack of mid-bass warmth and more recessed lower-mids this results in an IEM that's practically the opposite of the BL-03. The tonality is very different.
  • The treble details is definitely more noticeable on the BL-05 but this comes at the expense of a more tiring listening when directly compared to the BL-03.
  • Soundstage is improved. Imaging? I think it's a downgrade, but I have to listen more to pass a verdict on that front...
To summarize - these are not the BL-03 2.0, and while it did address most of the weaknesses of the BL-03, it took away some of the strengths as well. As always, sequels and expectations rarely align. Your best bet is to listen for a while and decide for yourself. I'd also refrain from passing a final judgment right now since I'll need some more time with them to figure out what BLON was aiming for here.

IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7221.JPG

May 16, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #24,288 of 31,833
BLON BL-05
Unboxing and First Impressions

... and thus, another oppoty arises... okay I'll spare those jokes.

Here is a quick-fire rundown of what I think about the BL-05:
  • The packaging is mostly similar, the cable is still awful, the tips are still useless for most.
  • The fit is improved leaps and bounds. They are now legit comfortable and great for long-listening sessions, comfort-wise. I'm using Final-E type (Dark) tips btw.
  • I wouldn't call the overall signature V-shaped. It lacks the mid-bass body that most V-shaped IEMs have and frankly, vocals are not as recessed as you'd imagine. The signature definitely is tilted towards the presence region. Compared to the BL-03, it'll sound thinner with a colder tonality.
  • The mid-bass bump of the BL-03 is gone. Now the sub-bass is slightly boosted from 60Hz downward. Unfortunately, sub-bass rumble is missing post 28Hz.
  • The lower-mids are much thinner compared to the BL-03. The upper-mids meanwhile get an extra 2/3dB of boost. Nothing egregious in a sense but given the lack of mid-bass warmth and more recessed lower-mids this results in an IEM that's practically the opposite of the BL-03. The tonality is very different.
  • The treble details is definitely more noticeable on the BL-05 but this comes at the expense of a more tiring listening when directly compared to the BL-03.
  • Soundstage is improved. Imaging? I think it's a downgrade, but I have to listen more to pass a verdict on that front...
To summarize - these are not the BL-03 2.0, and while it did address most of the weaknesses of the BL-03, it took away some of the strengths as well. As always, sequels and expectations rarely align. Your best bet is to listen for a while and decide for yourself. I'd also refrain from passing a final judgment right now since I'll need some more time with them to figure out what BLON was aiming for here.

I was hoping mine would be here today so I could do a direct comparison with the BL03 and my other new toy, the KZ Z1. I've been listening more and more to TWS sets lately so it'll be nice to have a new wired set to play with.

May 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #24,290 of 31,833
What would you guys recommend for under $200 ($250CAD), detail oriented/neutral but not lacking supportive bass? (I'm not a basshead but I like something to be there, you know?) I've been eyeing up the tin t4 (~$125 CAD) and moondrop starfield (~$150CAD) but I want to make sure there isn't anything else I should consider. (I know both are well under my budget and if they weren't both quite so over $100CAD I would just get them both)

I mainly listen to new jazz and alternative pop ? (Alternative pop being like twenty one pilots and Mumford and sons kind of thing)

Thanks!!
This thread is for under-$100. There's another thread for the price segment advice $100.

May 16, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #24,293 of 31,833
Also, I've found out QKZ DM6 looks quite similar to EDR1. What's the difference?
If you may know @Slater

I have no personal experience with the DM6. It's possible that it is just a rebranded EDR1, but I am not sure.

May 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #24,294 of 31,833
So taming the EA3's hot treble (Which apparently is from its balanced armature being more forward than the FH1s)?
I only have FH1 and mostly like their cool housing - an eye in a ear :)

So trying to answer generally - taming treble is the most effective and least intrusive use of an equalizer: not trying to add what is not physically there and least disturbing the overtones for the timbre integrity.

Quite often, one of the most common solution to tuning is to put some filters, especially the treble in "community" tuning. I started to appreciate less and less this approach. One may better tame the treble for their own preference either by an equalizer or some foam.

So trying different foam inserts just in tips first is a good simple way to experiment with taming the treble finding you preferred levels.

May 16, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #24,295 of 31,833
Which makes me wonder how do you strain relief what doesn't come strain relieved from factory.
Heat shrink is a great option. I use it for cables (especially on USB DAC dongles) all the time. It ends up more rigid than most factory strain reliefs, but it does effectively move the point of flex away from the solder. You can see black heat shrink applied to the MMCX cables in my display pic.

May 16, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #24,296 of 31,833
I just pulled the trigger on a wired ANC iems with in-line mic for cheap. It's the Samsung Advanced ANC earphones. Only $15 on Amazon Prime! Totally worth the risk as I like ANC tech (as I find thrm highly practical), and curious how they perform. I'm suspicious they maybe fake since so cheap, but I have doubts they would be with ANC and a battery.

I have Apple AirPods Pro TWS, but wanted a wired ANC set that happens to be in iem format as I hate being on the go with full-sized. The alternative would be Bose QC20, which still goes for whopping $250!

So, definately worth a try at the $15 price.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/advanced-anc-earphones--black-eo-ig950bbegus/
I knew these were legit, and here's verification that they are. The response looks good, and good channel balancing as well. I know people were skeptical of the stock AKG that comes with Samsung phones for their channel imbalance and bass inconsistancies, but I checked these, and L and R with ANC on/off were pretty much matched. I thought these sounded good, and the response happens to look good as well. Well worth $13 they were going for on Amazon

Red is passive mode, and green is with ANC turned on.
EO-IG950.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #24,298 of 31,833
Hey everyone.

I am looking to step up a little bit from the tin t3's and strongly eyeing the moondrop starfield.

Is there anything in that price range (around the 100US mark) that I should also consider?
The Starfield will be a side-grade, a change in tonality. Perhaps it will be good for you to have one and the other. Complementary.

May 16, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #24,299 of 31,833
Hey everyone.

I am looking to step up a little bit from the tin t3's and strongly eyeing the moondrop starfield.

Is there anything in that price range (around the 100US mark) that I should also consider?
If you want a step up with a similar signature, the T4 bests the T3 in every way (resolution, separation, imaging, etc) except it has a very slightly narrower stage to my ears. I'd probably agree with the starfield as a step up though. Slightly warmer as well, so a little different flavor than the T3. If you're looking for a bit more drastic of a change, while still "stepping up" in quality, maybe have a look at the TFZ No. 3. It's a v shaped signature, but very well done IMO. The mids aren't terribly recessed, it has a satisfying amount of bass slam, and the treble is crisp without being too sharp or sibilent.

May 17, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #24,300 of 31,833
If you want a step up with a similar signature, the T4 bests the T3 in every way (resolution, separation, imaging, etc) except it has a very slightly narrower stage to my ears. I'd probably agree with the starfield as a step up though. Slightly warmer as well, so a little different flavor than the T3. If you're looking for a bit more drastic of a change, while still "stepping up" in quality, maybe have a look at the TFZ No. 3. It's a v shaped signature, but very well done IMO. The mids aren't terribly recessed, it has a satisfying amount of bass slam, and the treble is crisp without being too sharp or sibilent.
Yeah I am looking for something a bit richer and dare I say natural sounding. Even though I love the t3's extension and cool presentation I am not averse to darker signatures like the hd6xx and porta pros. Ideally it would be something that meets halfway with a bit of mid-range prominence though not at the expense of decent extension/clarity on both ends. I am an IEM noob though so perhaps a bit much to be asking for at this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back