CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 2, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #24,076 of 31,867
I mean I thought so too, but maybe someone can prove otherwise?

Most likely, whoever said that had a 3rd party 2-pin cable and they plugged it in out of phase. That kills bass, so they blame the cable when in reality it is their fault for accidentally plugging the cable in backwards.

People would sometimes complain about the same thing with various KZs (having “no bass”) when in reality it turned out to be the cable plugged in out-of-phase.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #24,077 of 31,867
I read also that some custom cables can straight up kill BL03's bass. Does that mean BL03 is extremely cable sensitive?

Edit: I ask because I'm mostly used to the idea that cables only make minute changes to the sound unless they're malfunctioning outright.

I think a few people here had an issue with the stock BL-03's cable, as the earhooks were too stiff, so they tended to yank the IEM out of the ear canal. Which may contribute to poor fit/seal and hence loss of bass frequencies. Not everyone had this issue though. So the affected people seem to have fixed this issue by cutting the plastic sheaths of the earhooks, or wearing it cable down, or using a hairdryer to mould the plastic sheath to a better shape etc. Or just by buying another aftermarket cable.

As for cables changing sound signature, now that is a controversial big can of worms that is best left untouched. I've seen flamewars start over it here, and there are both camps that say it works and that it doesn't, but I respect the views of both camps. Personally, I think eartips and source are way more important in affecting the BL-03's midbass than cables.

May 2, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #24,078 of 31,867
I'm pretty sure most people would recommend getting another cable, but I wonder if trimming the memory hook is a good enough cheap alternative for the ones where the main issue is a bad memory hook.

Edit: So I guess it's the infamous Layer 8 issue after all.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #24,079 of 31,867
Which of the KBEARs is the most neutral-ish and balanced?
I have F1, KB06 and Diamond. F1 is the most neutral of the three, the KB06 is mildly V shaped but still quite balanced. Diamond is the most refined and detailed but it does have a mid-bass emphasis. I do not have the KB04 or KB10 although the CCA A10 is similar to the latter and is quite bright in tonality with excellent detail.

May 3, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #24,080 of 31,867
This is intriguing to me. I borrowed the IT01 about a year ago still can't get them out of my mind. I see on Amazon now they are going for $59 and $69 depending on color preference. I may have to venture out svs get these, BUT I also have the Diamonds on the way for about a month now! Can you compare the Diamonds to the other iems? The Moondrop Starfield are also on my short list. I never took the KPE, KXXS or Starfield plunge as I went the DM6 route. Since getting the T800, I need to sell the DM6.

So I've had the iT01, KXXs, Starfields and Diamonds for a few days now in rotation and to be honest I'm not all that impressed with the IT01 as I thought I would be but with that said the red/blue pair for $60 is about right and fair for what I hear. I think both the Starfields and Diamond are better sounding and for sure worth a Ben Franklin each but of course the KXXs is a step above them but you are also talking twice the price. If you like your Diamonds when you get them you'll like the Starfields and both are easy on the ears for long sessions.

May 3, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #24,081 of 31,867
So I've had the iT01, KXXs, Starfields and Diamonds for a few days now in rotation and to be honest I'm not all that impressed with the IT01 as I thought I would be but with that said the red/blue pair for $60 is about right and fair for what I hear. I think both the Starfields and Diamond are better sounding and for sure worth a Ben Franklin each but of course the KXXs is a step above them but you are also talking twice the price. If you like your Diamonds when you get them you'll like the Starfields and both are easy on the ears for long sessions.
Does one need the Diamond of one already has the Starfield?

May 3, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #24,082 of 31,867
Looking at it from the other side of the equation, I don't think one does.

Full disclosure, I'm a borderline bass head, so not looking for less bass in a set.

May 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #24,083 of 31,867
I asked for insights into the TFZ Queen LTD and got nothing, so I took a chance and ordered one for $48. It should arrive in a few days...
Screenshot_20200503_194224.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503_194224.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503_194224.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #24,084 of 31,867

Could be what you New Kids on the Block call a side grade however the Starfield and Diamond do have a different sound to them. I’m not going to review or throw a bunch of regurgitated words at you either. For my ears the Starfield have a little more laid back and rich sound compared to the Diamonds. I also think both have plenty of bass (I’m no Basshead) but I like solid bass that hits with authority and once again for my old ears both these iem’s hold their own on bass. Guess it’s hard for me to slap on the “Side Grade” moniker to any iem’s because I own somewhere between 40-50 iem’s and for me absolutely none of them sound just the same, even if your graph reads identical measures they never sound just alike. Now I will say if you are on a tight budget and can’t buy a locker full of iem’s then buy all means try to gather enough info off reviews to pick what you think will cover your bases. But don’t let the word side grade cloud or confuse or like a Libra you may never make up your mind!

@peskypesky, some iem makers do get it right on cables if they match their babies to one and put as much thought into how the signal gets to that ear piece! But also be aware that cable resistance can also cause an iem to actually sound worse so sometimes it’s like all things in life “Trial & Error” and I say this because specs (not unlike graphs) don’t always mean what you hear will be better or worse.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #24,086 of 31,867
How is the Kbear Diamond with metal?

Well are we talking my age metal (Zep) or something newer like System of the Down! May have to give me tour metal and I’ll check it out as you may want Rat or Warrant, like all genre’s it’s subjective to ones interpretation!

May 3, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #24,087 of 31,867
Well are we talking my age metal (Zep) or something newer like System of the Down! May have to give me tour metal and I’ll check it out as you may want Rat or Warrant, like all genre’s it’s subjective to ones interpretation!
All kinds, but more modern stuff mainly. Try these two:

May 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #24,088 of 31,867
How is the Kbear Diamond with metal?

What about with metal that’s literally metal?

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #24,089 of 31,867
All kinds, but more modern stuff mainly. Try these two:

1st track gets a little congested and distorts in the busier section but I'm thinking it's more the recording than the Diamonds as the 2nd track is very clear and well balanced all the way thru. Solid bass on both tracks, as a matter a fact @Slater 's cut seems to be better recorded as well. On that first track the vocals seem recessed but I'm not familiar with the band and that may be the way they are to sound. Now this could all change if I were on a DSD DAP with higher bit rate file but for this test I have the Diamonds plugged into my original Shanling Up.

May 3, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #24,090 of 31,867
Hey everyone, hope you're all doing good. I own a pair of KZ ZSN Pro's and I'd like to get an upgrade, with a similar sound signature (something with safer treble would be appreciated) and 0.78mm or MMCX connectors instead of QDC/0.75mm. Price point isn't much of a concern but if it's close to the ZSN Pro price it would be nice. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back