CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 1, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #24,046 of 31,839
Could swear I saw V1 and V2 of the BL-03 although for all I know V2 is simply included better stock eartips and nothing else.

While on that subject. I remember Crinacle praising the tuning and the timbre calling both pleasing yet safe but also mentioning that it lacked in technicality, although he does mention to him it sounded quite easily overwhelmed but never outright muddy. Wonder how many people who own the BL-03 agree with him on this. According to how he measures it, there's VERY LITTLE roll off in the subbass compared to midbass if at all, which doesn't seem to match what a lot of people say about it. Also to him anyway it seems the only real threat to the BL-03 are the C10, citing that again much more pleasing tuning than the typical KZ tuning making it his favorite KZ so far. I guess this effectively means with the help of 4 extra BAs the C10 is trading timbre for detailing, which makes me wonder if this makes the C10 a more do it all purpose since I assume there are more songs that benefit from better detailing than songs that benefit from better timbre. He doesn't appear to own the DM-480, the TFZ T2 galaxy, nor the ZSX which is kind of a bummer to me (although to be honest I'm pushing my budget a bit too far in these cases). As you can tell I love reading his site mostly because he as a list with an overall ranking in overall sound quality, bang for the buck, tonality grade, technical grade and a short summary that explains his grading so is like rapid fire reading mini reviews of sort. I really wish more head-fiers did this.

I also find hilarious that Riccardo Robecchi gives the BL-03 a 9.8/10 while he mentions cons such as atrocious fit. Unlike crinacle he kinda praises the detailing although like Crinacle he does point out that it is nothing to write home about compared to budget multi driver options out there. With those cons seems like 9.8 is far to high of a score, but hey I can't tell him what to do.

In the end, it's kind of a shame I live in a place where is virtually impossible to try something before I buy, I mean I can but it'll be mostly sony and apple stuff, and only the headphones. Almost everything sound related seems to be subjective, the community can help guiding me... but it's a leap of faith in the end. Isn't it?

As for the BL-05 FR, Kinda wish it had the 05 bass and 03 upper mids or vice versa. Not exactly digging 2k being stronger than the bass.

May 1, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #24,047 of 31,839
Could swear I saw V1 and V2 of the BL-03 although for all I know V2 is simply included better stock eartips and nothing else.

While on that subject. I remember Crinacle praising the tuning and the timbre calling both pleasing yet safe but also mentioning that it lacked in technicality, although he does mention to him it sounded quite easily overwhelmed but never outright muddy. Wonder how many people who own the BL-03 agree with him on this. According to how he measures it, there's VERY LITTLE roll off in the subbass compared to midbass if at all, which doesn't seem to match what a lot of people say about it. Also to him anyway it seems the only real threat to the BL-03 are the C10, citing that again much more pleasing tuning than the typical KZ tuning making it his favorite KZ so far. I guess this effectively means with the help of 4 extra BAs the C10 is trading timbre for detailing, which makes me wonder if this makes the C10 a more do it all purpose since I assume there are more songs that benefit from better detailing than songs that benefit from better timbre. He doesn't appear to own the DM-480, the TFZ T2 galaxy, nor the ZSX which is kind of a bummer to me (although to be honest I'm pushing my budget a bit too far in these cases). As you can tell I love reading his site mostly because he as a list with an overall ranking in overall sound quality, bang for the buck, tonality grade, technical grade and a short summary that explains his grading so is like rapid fire reading mini reviews of sort. I really wish more head-fiers did this.

I also find hilarious that Riccardo Robecchi gives the BL-03 a 9.8/10 while he mentions cons such as atrocious fit. Unlike crinacle he kinda praises the detailing although like Crinacle he does point out that it is nothing to write home about compared to budget multi driver options out there. With those cons seems like 9.8 is far to high of a score, but hey I can't tell him what to do.

In the end, it's kind of a shame I live in a place where is virtually impossible to try something before I buy, I mean I can but it'll be mostly sony and apple stuff, and only the headphones. Almost everything sound related seems to be subjective, the community can help guiding me... but it's a leap of faith in the end. Isn't it?

As for the BL-05 FR, Kinda wish it had the 05 bass and 03 upper mids or vice versa. Not exactly digging 2k being stronger than the bass.

Before coronavirus hit china, i think there was word they wanted to make a BL-03 mk 2 which incorporated a longer nozzle to address the fit issue that most westerners faced with the BL-03, and also to tame down the midbass quantity (and midbass bleed) which quite a fair number of folks didn't like.

And they wanted to release a seperate BL-05 which originally was a piezo + DD config. But from the beta testers feedback, the piezos made the treble too harsh so it seems BLON made the final production BL-05 to be just a DD without the piezos. According to them the DD are of different driver generations between the BL-03 and BL-05 (see BLON thread). Since the final BL-05's FR is somewhat similar to the BL-03 (just with lesser bass and a tinge spicier upper mids), I dunno what's the status of the BL-03 mk2 now. Would it be cost effective to make a BL-03 mk2 IEM with longer nozzle when the BL-05 has the FR they were after in the BL-03 mk2?

Actually i agree with Crinacle that the single DD BL-03 is weak in technicalities. But it excels at timbre and tonality. So in general similarly priced multi BA/hybrids will beat the BLON in technicalities.

As for the bass of the BL-03, different folks have different opinions cause most are not using the stock tips (due to bad fit). So different aftermarket eartips affect the bass response and isolation (which is important in subbass perception). But in general most people find the BL-03 has a midbass hump.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #24,048 of 31,839
As you can tell I love reading his site mostly because he as a list with an overall ranking in overall sound quality, bang for the buck, tonality grade, technical grade and a short summary that explains his grading so is like rapid fire reading mini reviews of sort. I really wish more head-fiers did this.
Well if you want a ranking list, I only know of 3 people including my own that has one.

BGGAR: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH9_bqUq1vANsFiXVbVZ6w8kVA9C3DkknnMGyIcKE7M/edit#gid=0
Crinacle: https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
my own: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YNuslYM4CrhMPrOLofzTm4ei7HEfP8AI1zxswrMw2ho/edit?usp=sharing

May 1, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #24,050 of 31,839
Now THIS is something I wish I could upvote more than once.

... Also I wonder if BGGAR ranks PURELY on tonality and absolutely nothing else. The S ranking on the BL-03 and the YBF-ISS014 make zero sense otherwise. And now I'm kinda fascinated at the Legacy 3 although that probably won't become relevant for this thread any time soon since it's quite a bit over $100.

Also: "Screeching unnatural garbage" made me ROFLcopter. As well as: "An indescribable affront to God and humanity, both in terms of sound and pricing".

May 1, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #24,051 of 31,839
Now THIS is something I wish I could upvote more than once.

... Also I wonder if BGGAR ranks PURELY on tonality and absolutely nothing else. The S ranking on the BL-03 and the YBF-ISS014 make zero sense otherwise. And now I'm kinda fascinated at the Legacy 3 although that probably won't become relevant for this thread any time soon since it's quite a bit over $100.

Also: "Screeching unnatural garbage" made me ROFLcopter. As well as: "An indescribable affront to God and humanity, both in terms of sound and pricing".
Where does "An indescribable affront to God and humanity, both in terms of sound and pricing" come from?

May 1, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #24,052 of 31,839
The cable on my NiceHCK EP10 went bad, so I converted it to mmcx.

B31F8E15-C113-4CCF-A067-E4FDC659ED6B.jpeg81B0ED4B-8139-4200-9E81-5B9CF6A7DAFC.jpeg

They sound good for a $10 dynamic IEM, assuming you like a warm v shaped sound.

The biggest downside is a ridiculously short nozzle. If you think the Blon has a short nozzle that causes fitment challenges, the EP10 puts it to shame. The only way I can get them to fit is with really long cored tips, like SpinFits, FlipTips, or SednaFits.

May 1, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #24,053 of 31,839

B31F8E15-C113-4CCF-A067-E4FDC659ED6B.jpeg81B0ED4B-8139-4200-9E81-5B9CF6A7DAFC.jpeg

The biggest downside is a ridiculously short nozzle. If you think the Blon has a short nozzle that causes fitment challenges, the EP10 puts it to shame. The only way I can get them to fit is with really long cored tips, like SpinFits, FlipTips, or SednaFits.

Wow with the short nozzle and super long height (and possibly counterweight of the stem), does it even stay in the ears with stock tips?

May 1, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #24,054 of 31,839

Spinfits cp240 should do the trick , maybe also the epro horn tips

May 1, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #24,056 of 31,839
Where does "An indescribable affront to God and humanity, both in terms of sound and pricing" come from?
Crinacle's list... but you have to scroll all the way down to the E rank.

Although I hope you don't mind me killing the suspense by telling you already that he's describing the oBravo's Ra C-Cu. Effect Audio's King Arthur suffered a similar fate in the D- rank.

Also I'm actually curious if double flanged tips would work for BL03, since I saw at least one video where they had one of those... I wonder if the EP10 would outright NEED a triple flange since we're talking about that now.

... I also love to learn how to DIY MMCX connectors, and I wonder how MMCX compares to 2 pin in terms of difficulty, as well as DIYing my own cables... so I can braid 22AWG cables.

May 1, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #24,057 of 31,839
Wow with the short nozzle and super long height (and possibly counterweight of the stem), does it even stay in the ears with stock tips?

It’s designed so that the long stem fits into the anti-tragus.

39254E92-D4CB-400D-BF32-D70638F6A7AE.jpeg

Actually an ingenious design that’s surprisingly comfortable.

If the nozzle was longer, it would be even more stable. Otherwise, gotta use long cored tips. The stock tips absolutely suck. But just like the BL-03, once you get the right tips you get a really good fit the sound is really good for the paltry asking price.

You can also wear them up by switching L and R. Obviously that will reverse the channels with the stock fixed cables, but isn’t a problem once converted to mmcx because you can set up the channels properly by plugging the R earpiece into the L mmcx cable and vice versa

May 1, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #24,058 of 31,839

Yes, individual subjective reviews are notoriously unreliable. One reason is that, for one, people use terms like 'technicalities' without a common rigorous definition. What to do then? Triangulate. The truth will be in the middle.

Crinacle's list... but you have to scroll all the way down to the E rank.

Although I hope you don't mind me killing the suspense by telling you already that he's describing the oBravo's Ra C-Cu. Effect Audio's King Arthur suffered a similar fate in the D- rank.

Also I'm actually curious if double flanged tips would work for BL03, since I saw at least one video where they had one of those... I wonder if the EP10 would outright NEED a triple flange since we're talking about that now.

... I also love to learn how to DIY MMCX connectors, and I wonder how MMCX compares to 2 pin in terms of difficulty, as well as DIYing my own cables... so I can braid 22AWG cables.
Crinacle is but one man. Audio Nirvana is ultimately an individual path. The Ear is a lonely hunter.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #24,059 of 31,839
I'm actually curious if double flanged tips would work for BL03, since I saw at least one video where they had one of those... I wonder if the EP10 would outright NEED a triple flange since we're talking about that now.

Yes, double and triple flange tips are another method to solve fit problems, due to the extra long length of many multi-flange tips. Especially triple flange Xmas trees, which are really long.

You do have to check the individual tip though, as some 2 and 3 flange tips have a recessed core. You need the ones with the long (non-recessed) core.

Recessed core:
51447E3C-3A19-4002-8A13-322215229EDD.jpeg

Long core:
ADDD4776-AE6C-4C19-9C1C-F7644359155E.jpeg

Unfortunately, Xmas trees are uncomfortable for me, because they are so long they feel like they are inserting into my brain. When I use triple flange tips, I have to trim the top flange off, converting them into DIY double flange tips.

But yeah back to BL-03; if you have fit problems definitely try double or triple flange tips. Or FlipTips, SpinFits, SednaFit (not the Short model though), KZ Starlines, etc. You can also try the o ring trick or the eartip core trick (which is a variation on the o ring trick).

May 1, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #24,060 of 31,839
Yes, double and triple flange tips are another method to solve fit problems, due to the extra long length of many multi-flange tips. Especially triple flange Xmas trees, which are really long.

You do have to check the individual tip though, as some 2 and 3 flange tips have a recessed core. You need the ones with the long (non-recessed) core.

Recessed core:
51447E3C-3A19-4002-8A13-322215229EDD.jpeg

Long core:
ADDD4776-AE6C-4C19-9C1C-F7644359155E.jpeg

Unfortunately, Xmas trees are uncomfortable for me, because they are so long they feel like they are inserting into my brain. When I use triple flange tips, I have to trim the top flange off, converting them into DIY double flange tips.

But yeah back to BL-03; if you have fit problems definitely try double or triple flange tips. Or FlipTips, SpinFits, SednaFit (not the Short model though), KZ Starlines, etc. You can also try the o ring trick or the eartip core trick (which is a variation on the o ring trick).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S82M9PG/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_aaoREb77KJBXW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back