CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #21,122 of 31,833
just got bit by the Blur bug today nothing super fancy
But I hope to find out what the buzz is all about
I like supporting independent home grown brands like his
VE,Willsound and Revamp Acoustics were all great personal discoveries.

It feels a level up from the typical KZ churn cycle family of mass market options
And a way better feeling than going with the promoted labels or the mass market Beats stuff

No one to blame except myself and threads like this

half of my earbuds are Willsound's. can't be beat for the price, and i have tried some "TOTL" priced earbuds. the Willsounds are TOTL level sounding earbuds at a really reasonable price. it makes me noy bothered anymore with new earbuds

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #21,123 of 31,833
So received my Sony MH755s and played them yesterday all day and today. Weird midget cable but luckily I had an extension cable. At first no bass but JVC Spiral Dot L helped that. Nice midrange centric Sony sound. Clear and pleasantly rhythmic. Definitely worth the few quid I paid. Will I use them in front of my other IEMs/Buds? Probably not, but they are very listenable IEMs. For any midrange centric music a 'cheap as chips' option. On Monday my Semkarch CNR1s arrive....that excites me a little more.

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #21,124 of 31,833
half of my earbuds are Willsound's. can't be beat for the price, and i have tried some "TOTL" priced earbuds. the Willsounds are TOTL level sounding earbuds at a really reasonable price. it makes me noy bothered anymore with new earbuds

Aren't the willsound very bass oriented?

That's what I read iirc, if that's the case I'm not sure they can be compared to totl earbuds that are generally more "audiophile" tuned (think Senn HD600 tuning, not bass heavy at all) as I understand it?

I might be completely wrong, those willsound make me curious now

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #21,125 of 31,833
Aren't the willsound very bass oriented?

That's what I read iirc, if that's the case I'm not sure they can be compared to totl earbuds that are generally more "audiophile" tuned (think Senn HD600 tuning, not bass heavy at all) as I understand it?

I might be completely wrong, those willsound make me curious now

Depends on which one, as it has different models and sound. The most popular ones are the MK1, MK2, and MK3, and the new MK32, all do have a deep bass extensions. The PK series are lighter sounding, and the higher impedanced MK300 are warmer and more mid centric.

Mind you there is no guideline saying light bass equals "audiophile" or higher class of sound, and big bass equals typival consumer sound. It all depends on the way they present the sound, resolution, technicalities, and all that stuff.

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #21,126 of 31,833
Well, the official TFZ store on AE had an even bigger discount on the TFZ King Edition than on the 11.11, which was $119 and still going to include a free MLE 2019 when u buy them. :/

The TFZ monica is also $2 cheaper than on 11.11. Wow, lucky I didn't get them.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #21,127 of 31,833
Depends on which one, as it has different models and sound. The most popular ones are the MK1, MK2, and MK3, and the new MK32, all do have a deep bass extensions. The PK series are lighter sounding, and the higher impedanced MK300 are warmer and more mid centric.

Mind you there is no guideline saying light bass equals "audiophile" or higher class of sound, and big bass equals typival consumer sound. It all depends on the way they present the sound, resolution, technicalities, and all that stuff.

Oh I agree, "totl" also doesn't mean much, the 22€ bk2 is the totl yin*** earbud lol.

Generally speaking, a great technical earbud (totl or not) can have good subbass but avoids mid-bass bleed into the mids, and has excellent clarity imo.

That is not to say everyone should like that kind of tuning/driver response, just that imo those are qualities worth a premium in price as it's not really achievable with 3$ drivers tuned by Chipmunks.

From what I see the mk3 would be the closest to my liking, might give it a shot.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #21,128 of 31,833
Oh I agree, "totl" also doesn't mean much, the 22€ bk2 is the totl yin*** earbud lol.

Generally speaking, a great technical earbud (totl or not) can have good subbass but avoids mid-bass bleed into the mids, and has excellent clarity imo.

That is not to say everyone should like that kind of tuning/driver response, just that imo those are qualities worth a premium in price as it's not really achievable with 3$ drivers tuned by Chipmunks.

From what I see the mk3 would be the closest to my liking, might give it a shot.

As far as i know the MK1, 2, and 3 are discontinued, and they are replaced by the MK32. I've heard it, it is closer in tuning to the MK3 but with slightly more bass, and better frontal depth of the soundstage. You might still purchase the older MK from seller like Rholupat, but to me personally the MK32 is an improvement

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #21,129 of 31,833
Received CCA C12 and blon bl03 amongst other aliexpress goodies :) They were really fast this year...sales not that big for IEMs though.
Quick impressions is that low budget is definitely on another level since only 2 years ago. Too early for proper impressions, but so far C12 and blons complete each other well.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #21,130 of 31,833
Posted this on Discovery Thread but this thread might be more appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Massdrop has the MEE Audio Pinnacle P2 on sale for $25 normally $100. I think last year around this time they could be had for $42. They feature a 10 mm dynamic driver with a copper clad aluminum voice coil (from the specs). I can't find any info on the driver technology.

Does anyone know how they compare to the current host of DDs? (BLON BL-03, CNT1, IT01, No 3...) Curious on these. I can't find anything too exciting about them. Considering them as a gift but for $25, your in BL-03 territory!

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #21,131 of 31,833
C12 is "better" by almost every conceivable metric. It is technically a really good IEM and the timbre (which has been a bone of contention for me with KZ and TRN hybrid stuff in the past) is very good.

However, the thing with the Blon is that it is just so musical. The soundstage is OK at best, the separation well below par. It totally skips detail and nuance that the CCA picks up. But it's got that je ne sais quoi that reminds me of listening to vinyl.

I honestly couldn't say buy one over the other. They're both top notch (these two, the Blon BL-01 and the Tin T2 are my four "special" ChiFi IEMs) in their own way. Technical brilliance Vs utter musical bliss. The only thing I will add is that the BL03 is fussy about tips and source (it needs a few more mW than a phone provides to grip hold of the bass and poor fit makes the mid bass quite inconsistent) whereas the C12 is more a plug and play experience. Tips and source make a difference but it is maybe 5% not 50.

I am a bit bass sensitive and I hate microphonics. Does that add in any sway in your opinion of one over the other?

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #21,132 of 31,833
Well, the official TFZ store on AE had an even bigger discount on the TFZ King Edition than on the 11.11, which was $119 and still going to include a free MLE 2019 when u buy them. :/

The TFZ monica is also $2 cheaper than on 11.11. Wow, lucky I didn't get them.

Wow looks like the TFZ King Edition didn't sell that well to have to discount it so soon after 11/11. Reviews are still equivocal about it. I remembered on 11/11 with coupon stacking it was $103 USD, but we pulled out last minute due to the reviews haha. (Mass)drop is selling it at $99 USD, but no free my love IEM.

Posted this on Discovery Thread but this thread might be more appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Massdrop has the MEE Audio Pinnacle P2 on sale for $25 normally $100. I think last year around this time they could be had for $42. They feature a 10 mm dynamic driver with a copper clad aluminum voice coil (from the specs). I can't find any info on the driver technology.

Does anyone know how they compare to the current host of DDs? (BLON BL-03, CNT1, IT01, No 3...) Curious on these. I can't find anything too exciting about them. Considering them as a gift but for $25, your in BL-03 territory!

Thanks!

Yeah I asked about the P2 in the Chinese brands thread and podster gave a nice reply about the P2: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1905#post-15317530
It looks very cheap for sure, generic V shaped tuning. I'm in 2 minds about getting one. But it is quite dated, released in 2017, and I have a feeling that the 2019 single DD IEMs that were released may have evolved to much better tuning during this 2 year gap. A few Mass(drop) reviews said it wasn't anything special, though very few detailed reviews about them.

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #21,133 of 31,833
Wow looks like the TFZ King Edition didn't sell that well to have to discount it so soon after 11/11. Reviews are still equivocal about it. I remembered on 11/11 with coupon stacking it was $103 USD, but we pulled out last minute due to the reviews haha. (Mass)drop is selling it at $99 USD, but no free my love IEM.

Yeah I asked about the P2 in the Chinese brands thread and podster gave a nice reply about the P2: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1905#post-15317530
It looks very cheap for sure, generic V shaped tuning. I'm in 2 minds about getting one. But it is quite dated, released in 2017, and I have a feeling that the 2019 single DD IEMs that were released may have evolved to much better tuning during this 2 year gap. A few Mass(drop) reviews said it wasn't anything special, though very few detailed reviews about them.
Yeah, guess so. They still to slow down their pace on releasing new IEM I guess. To make a mind blowing one like blon

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #21,134 of 31,833
I am a bit bass sensitive and I hate microphonics. Does that add in any sway in your opinion of one over the other?

If you're referring to cable microphonics then both are fine. If you're referring to natural harmonics then the 03 does have a tendency for you to kinda not so much hear the harmonics as know they're there. The CCA sounds like every other IEM in that respect, the harmonic effect is one I've only had with the 03.

However. Bass. The CCA has good, fast, punchy deep bass that goes fairly low. The Blon isn't so clear cut. Mid bass can be a bit bloaty and very inconsistent with the wrong tips. Using the intro to "There She Goes" by Babyshambles, the standup bass is all over the place. I've used MH755 tips and got the bass sounding lovely but until you get the right tips you're in a whole world of pain.

Other points to note is that the CCA will plug into a phone and sound fine. Try that with the Blon and you get loose wobbly bass. It needs power to really grip the driver. Considering the CCA is way more detailed than the Blon, it's also surprising how much the Blon shows up poor sources or recordings.

Back in favour of the Blon though is that timbre. Instruments sound better with my Blon than any of my other headphones (IEM or otherwise).

Tl;Dr - want a plug and play that sounds good with anything? CCA. Prepared to invest a bit of time and effort and have good kit? Blon every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back