CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #19,996 of 31,833
Yes I know, but that doesn't explain why other various Asian iems fit fine.

Because they are likely using western ear modeling data when designing shells.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #19,997 of 31,833
I'm really tempted to jump on this Blon BL-03 hype train. But still not sure if it'll be big enough upgrade (I know that it's relative for each user) over my current daily IEM, the KZ ZS10 Pro and TinAudio T2. Also what would warrant a big enough upgrade over the $50ish ZS10 pro? I was considering the Guideray GR-1 but also chifi's in the $100-$150 range like the TFZ No.3. I'm leaning towards a new IEM that sounds more like ZS10 pro than the T2.

I only have the non pro ZS10 to compare and helpfully the Blon sounds nothing like that. Way more natural on the instruments. The separation is less, not poor enough to be an issue - in fact it does make it sound more "whole" musically.

The Tin Vs the Blon is something I can compare - throw some track requests at me and I can give you a comparison (obviously I don't have your ears and your music tastes will be different.) The mids are for the main similar but the Blon has more bass - the treble rolls off earlier. The Blon is probably a sidegrade over the Tin but the tuning is very different and much more to my taste with a lot of recordings.

I've a pair of CCA C12 headed over but it could be a week or so before they are here. As they use similar driver tech to the ZS10pro they could be more your bag. I'm not expecting great things as I like the ZS10 less than any of my others (I don't have any bad IEMs but some are much less good than others)

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #19,998 of 31,833
I have yet to receive my BLON BL-03, but it is a single DD compared to the hybrid KZ ZS10 Pro, so they have different strengths and weaknesses IMHO.
Usually single DDs would excel at timbre and sounding more organic, whereas the hybrids/multi BAs would have better details and instrument separation (in general).
TFZ No. 3 is a single DD IEM too and loses out (slightly) to the ZS10 Pro in terms of clarity, details, instrument separation as above. But it has a much better bass in terms of quantity and quality. TFZ No. 3 is quite suitable for all genres but will excel at bass forward music like EDM IMHO. And No. 3 has better timbre than the ZS10 Pro, which sounds a bit artificial for some acoustic instruments.
I don't have the T2 or guideray so I can't comment on that.

As for what would warrant a big upgrade over the ZS10 Pro? I think that is pretty subjective as the higher up we go the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The newest KZ release, the ZSX, is supposed to have improvements over the ZS10 Pro, but I don't have it. It is a few bucks more than the ZS10 Pro too. I have 2 multi BA/hybrid IEMs that are more expensive than the ZS10 Pro (Westone W30 and Audiosense T800), but they cost like 5 - 10x more, and the improvement is not 5 - 10x. But they do give better instrument separation, details, clarity, soundstage etc.
There are some great reviews for newly released CHIFI IEMs that are hybrids/multi BAs like the ZS10 Pro - the CCA C12, KZ ZSX, TRN V90, BQEYZ Spring 1, so maybe u can check out those.

Really thanx for the answers. Yeah, I regret phrasing it that way because like you said, it's so difficult to talk about such subjective matters. As someone who previously preferred headphones, it just is quite amazing that these under 50 bucks lil IEMs are coming out (seemingly a newer/better one each month) that match or in some cases are better than the $150 range older IEMs.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #19,999 of 31,833
I thought everyone knew by now how much I hate foam tips.
you might want to try those Ikko I-planet foam tips. They are shallower and you don’t shove the deep in your ears. I know I’ve mentioned these all over the place, so please forgive me. They are just really good and comfy and I thought you might like them. I am not shilling, either. They just made a big difference for my enjoyment of a few IEMs (T800, Tin T2, Comets). :)

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #20,000 of 31,833
I only have the non pro ZS10 to compare and helpfully the Blon sounds nothing like that. Way more natural on the instruments. The separation is less, not poor enough to be an issue - in fact it does make it sound more "whole" musically.

The Tin Vs the Blon is something I can compare - throw some track requests at me and I can give you a comparison (obviously I don't have your ears and your music tastes will be different.) The mids are for the main similar but the Blon has more bass - the treble rolls off earlier. The Blon is probably a sidegrade over the Tin but the tuning is very different and much more to my taste with a lot of recordings.

I've a pair of CCA C12 headed over but it could be a week or so before they are here. As they use similar driver tech to the ZS10pro they could be more your bag. I'm not expecting great things as I like the ZS10 less than any of my others (I don't have any bad IEMs but some are much less good than others)

I've used the ZS10 Pro, (which from what I read is closer to the newer KZ ZSX than the ZS10. Both are pretty descent upgrades from original ZS10), for more "V shaped tracks" like older Rock like Nirvana/G&R/Foo FIghters etc. and some older HipHop as well like Wu-Tang tracks. I've been using my T2 for my more reserved tracks like Jazz and Classical instrumentals and some Acoustic Guitary Folksy stuff.

I've started trying Chifis to get away from the more higher priced headphones I was used to, but like I mentioned above, with something newer & better coming out each week, it's a pretty fun but not as cheap a hobby like I had expected lol

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #20,001 of 31,833
Really thanx for the answers. Yeah, I regret phrasing it that way because like you said, it's so difficult to talk about such subjective matters. As someone who previously preferred headphones, it just is quite amazing that these under 50 bucks lil IEMs are coming out (seemingly a newer/better one each month) that match or in some cases are better than the $150 range older IEMs.

I've used the ZS10 Pro, (which from what I read is closer to the newer KZ ZSX than the ZS10. Both are pretty descent upgrades from original ZS10), for more "V shaped tracks" like older Rock like Nirvana/G&R/Foo FIghters etc. and some older HipHop as well like Wu-Tang tracks. I've been using my T2 for my more reserved tracks like Jazz and Classical instrumentals and some Acoustic Guitary Folksy stuff.

I've started trying Chifis to get away from the more higher priced headphones I was used to, but like I mentioned above, with something newer & better coming out each week, it's a pretty fun but not as cheap a hobby like I had expected lol

Yeah i guess since u are looking for something that sounds like the ZS10 Pro, I think one of the newer sub $50 USD hybrid/multi BAs like the CCA C12, KZ ZSX, TRN V90 will be upgrades over it. But is the marginal improvement over the ZS10 Pro worth investing another 40ish bucks, that's the subjective part.
Yeah i've mostly stopped buying western midfi stuff the past 2 years since I dipped my beak into the CHIFI world, never looked back. These CHIFI IEMs give better price to performance ratio IMHO.

I read excellent reviews about the BQEYZ Spring 1, but this is > $100 USD, and I'm thinking of getting it at 11/11 if it is substantially discounted. It seems to be of a greater refinement than these sub 50 USD IEMs, but at > 2x the price though.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #20,002 of 31,833
@SeoulParty - Headphones became a necessity when I moved to an apartment with poor noise insulation - I have a big separates system with big floor standing speakers so late night listening was a no. Started with Hifiman HE400i and got AKG K702 but it got expensive. Hence ChiFi IEMs.

I wonder if ANY pair of ANY price IEMs will give you total satisfaction - certainly I have a pair of cheap ChiFi IEMs that will sound better than my more expensive cans or even my main setup.
Perhaps the beauty of the ChiFi gear is that you can buy so many you've always got something fit for the purpose. For sure, my Senns are outright worse than my BL03 and on a given track can sound worse than literally any IEM I own (with the exception of the EDR1 and ED9 but they are so cheap as not to count). Yet those Sennheiser IE60 cost as much as all my other IEMs put together.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #20,003 of 31,833
Seems like my fate to get Blon BL03 :)

While I checked in on my Ali express yesterday night for regular point collection, I got a pop up "$7 disc coupon with min order of $28 valid for one day only"... what a coincident.. And you don't need to guess what happened next.. :)

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #20,004 of 31,833
you might want to try those Ikko I-planet foam tips. They are shallower and you don’t shove the deep in your ears. I know I’ve mentioned these all over the place, so please forgive me. They are just really good and comfy and I thought you might like them. I am not shilling, either. They just made a big difference for my enjoyment of a few IEMs (T800, Tin T2, Comets). :)

It is not the fit or sound with foams that I do not like. In fact I don't even know what my iems would sound like with foams. I am simply unable to touch them. It is purely a sensory issue. I also have a bit of a latex allergy (or sensitivity). I am not quite sure if this would include foam ear tips.

I like silicone and I have many types to choose from. I especially like that they can be kept clean and will not harbor germs... and there is no reason for them to not last forever. The only silicone tips that I have destroyed was one of my Auvios... the core ripped loose from the main part when I was removing it from a too thick nozzle. My fault but something to watch for with Auvios. Do not force them on to a too thick nozzle unless you plan to never remove it.

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #20,005 of 31,833
Riddle me this. Sony MH755 gets a whole lot of love on this forum, yet the Mh750 almost none. Why is this? I just got a 750 through the post that I had forgotten I'd ordered and it sounds very similar. It also doesn't have a silly cable. And was cheaper because I didn't worry about a fake as I was sure the 755 I was getting would be real (it is).

Which concludes my study - the cheapest pair of IEMs that money can buy which gives an acceptable sound to my ears (acceptable enough to live with as my only pair) is the £3.99 Sony MH750.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #20,006 of 31,833
Riddle me this. Sony MH755 gets a whole lot of love on this forum, yet the Mh750 almost none. Why is this? I just got a 750 through the post that I had forgotten I'd ordered and it sounds very similar. It also doesn't have a silly cable. And was cheaper because I didn't worry about a fake as I was sure the 755 I was getting would be real (it is).

Which concludes my study - the cheapest pair of IEMs that money can buy which gives an acceptable sound to my ears (acceptable enough to live with as my only pair) is the £3.99 Sony MH750.

I thought that fakes were more likely with the MH750. Maybe I am wrong. A few people said they like the sound of the MH755 better..and some of us enjoy choosing pretty cables for them:)

@Tonymac136 have you been in this thread? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...5-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-49#post-15211498

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #20,007 of 31,833
Yes the recent hot chifi are really really good compared to last year, or even first quarter of this year. I w

I got both, I got MH750 free from sony xperia Z1 that time. MH750 got more boosted bass than MH755, tuning also nice, MH755 more balance. Both are good for the price. its only for the price actually, not giant killer or something. Value wise, I dare to say BLON BL-03 are more value than MH755 with similar tuning but better in every aspects, much much better.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #20,008 of 31,833
I'm cautious with the new KZ ZSX/CCA C12 and blon-03.... I use the **** because it's not over ear and has a nice soundstage, but for serious listening I go back to the IT01 and realize that there's a seperate & punchy bass line and depth atttached to the rest of the instruments and vocals. A coherence that I did not notice I had missed - and what a different world on the same crumby youtube track!
My dream IEM would be a bullet type IEM with large soundstage and coherence but it's hard to resist the temptation of these latest offerings. I might wait for the reviewers to settle down and go back to their oldies for comparison, hopefully in time for 11/11.
The ninetails was a strong contender a year or two and seems to be making a come back...nothing new?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #20,009 of 31,833
Hi all,

I've been listening to single DD for a long time. and want to find out how all-BA sound.

Are CCA C16s my best bet under $100 USD? Thanks.

Questions about CCA C16s - Do they scale well with source upgrades? Do spiral dots fit their nozzles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back