CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #20,026 of 31,833
Just got in my new (to me) ToneKing Ninetails, thanks to @strooper, for including the balanced cable

I don't know if the filters really have a retention problem. But to play it safe, I added some plumber's (teflon) tape to the rear pieces; now they're much more snug, when tightening.
(silver back, red front)
I lost one silver and one blue rear filter in the first week of having the Toneking 9Tail. So now my filters are tightened down with a wrench! I didn't think of using teflon tape, but that is a great idea.

Enjoy your 9Tail, it is a gem.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #20,027 of 31,833
\

I'm sorry if I don't follow. You said the MH755 has rivals at $10. Then listed 2 IEMs that are much more than $10. The ED9 you mentioned you said is worse than the MH755, which I absolutely agree with.

Responding to your point that the MH755 were better than any $40 IEM you had tried, I was just pointing out two $40 IEM that are way, way better (as you would expect them to be given the price points.)

The BL01 is at least as good at a very similar price and without the need to recable or buy an extension (the tuning is closer to the Tin T2, the MH755 being more similar to the BL03). There is a not a whole lot more expensive IEM in my signature that is definitely better than the MH755 too but forum rules prevent me from discussing that one. The Mh750 is also up there. And yeah, the ED9 is worse but not to such an extent as to not be close on certain tracks. It's also better with the dreadful output from my mobile phone.

The MH755 is great. I'm not hating on it by any means (it's far, FAR better than the ZS10 and better than the V80 too - both much more expensive) but what it isn't is some sort of major giant killer that renders $30, 40, 100 IEMs irrelevant. It is one of the best $10ish IEMs I've experienced.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #20,028 of 31,833
This is what I always find so interesting about sound preferences. For me, the MH755 made me wonder why I spend money on Chi-fi, particularly on the more budget side. The MH755, when judged on purely sound quality, were better than anything I had bought from Chi-fi under the $40 price range. Maybe I haven't heard the right chi-fi at the price point, but the MH755 just sounded better to me. I got the Sony MH755 and my Koss KPH30i the same week. Both of them made me sit down and honestly think about how much money I'd need to spend to get something better sounding. The value is out of the world for me.

What do you feel rivals it at $10? Aside from the BL-01 you referenced. I've never heard those before.

LG Quadbeat 3.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #20,029 of 31,833
To clarify on the blon cables, some of us thought that the sharp curve and the strong springiness of the hook exacerbated the fit issues. You can fix this to a large degree with a hair-dryer, a heat gun or a cup of boiled water. The fit of tips can be addressed by cutting strips from the bores of the second bag of paper thin tips (useless) that are included with the blon. Fix for both issues, not a dime extra :) I still think that the bass is a bit too much and even a single cello sounded like it had to blow its nose.
I had a listen to Dvorak's Cello Concerto on my Blon BL-03. I didn't hear any "snot" in the cello :) What I did hear was a rich, engaging sound that made me hum along.

I am using TFZ XL widebore silicon tips and a balanced NiceHCK cable from my Pioneer XDP-30R.

IMG_20190929_141452.png

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #20,030 of 31,833
I was skeptical that I'd like the Blon BL-03 a lot more than I like the CNT-1. But here we are, I've had the Blon for several days now and it's definitely better than the CNT-1 imo. Only drawback with the Blon's sound profile is that the mid bass can be too much at times, I found the bass to be overly distracting on a Flying Burrito Brothers album, of all things. But on the whole it's just really wonderful for a budget IEM, and thankfully the fit isn't causing me any issues after swapping the cable and tips.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #20,031 of 31,833
I was skeptical that I'd like the Blon BL-03 a lot more than I like the CNT-1. But here we are, I've had the Blon for several days now and it's definitely better than the CNT-1 imo. Only drawback with the Blon's sound profile is that the mid bass can be too much at times, I found the bass to be overly distracting on a Flying Burrito Brothers album, of all things. But on the whole it's just really wonderful for a budget IEM, and thankfully the fit isn't causing me any issues after swapping the cable and tips.

What tips and cables do u use?? And how does it compare with your Moondrop KPE?

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #20,032 of 31,833

use spiral dots if you can get the fit, it tames the mid bass with a little bit bigger sub bass (only a little) and sounds wider overall on soundstage. 1 only minor drawback of spiral dots are because of the dots, they smoothen trebles, which is good but with compensation of a little bit blurry imaging. Every tips have their pros and cons.

And also cable. Im thinking that the BLON will be nice with silver plated copper cable as it will tighten the bass part more, and the trebles are not bright, so slight improvement will be no harm to highs part. Waiting my 16 core cable for my BLON, and i ordered the one without earhook, i was thinking if i can use them as down ear / hanging down iem too with swapping left and right unit.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #20,033 of 31,833
I had recently received the Magaosi BK50. It's not bad for a 1DD + 1BA configuration. The entire frequency seems to be rather on the smooth side. The only downside is that the cables are not removable. The fit is pretty good for a shallow fit IEM and btw, my ears are really small, so it's fine.

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #20,034 of 31,833
I had recently received the Magaosi BK50. It's not bad for a 1DD + 1BA configuration. The entire frequency seems to be rather on the smooth side. The only downside is that the cables are not removable. The fit is pretty good for a shallow fit IEM and btw, my ears are really small, so it's fine.

Thanks for your impressions! But unfortunately it's a no go for me for IEMs with non detachable cables. Unless it's a cheap IEM like MH 755.
I had 2 midfi IEMs become unusable in the past due to faulty cables at the insertion to IEM shell. Actually if a cheap 16 buck IEM like the **** can have detachable cables, I'm a bit disappointed higher end sets can't incorporate detachable ones too.

Sep 30, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #20,035 of 31,833
Surely you knew when you bought the Sony MH755 that it came with that short J cable and that people were either recabling theirs, adding a short extension cord or using it with a bluetooth thingie like the ES100.
Actually, I didnt know the MH755 came with a short cable. How do you know everyone follows a Headfi thead before buying an iem?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #20,036 of 31,833
Actually, I didnt know the MH755 came with a short cable. How do you know everyone follows a Headfi thead before buying an iem?

Most of the listings for it did say so Copied this from one of the sellers I used.

SONY MH755 Stereo In-Ear Headphones Earphones Short Cable for Bluetooth Armband
  • Bulk package WITHOUT retail box, headphones only in plastic bag and securely wrapped
  • Genuine SONY accessories, short cable version for SBH20 Bluetooth Adatpers
  • Great sound quality and satisfaction guarantee
  • Asymmetrical Cable design (60CM left, 80CM Right), the longer side cable behind neck
But, half meter extensions are readily available. Even though I have several now that are recabled with different pretty cables, my first one remains in its original state with an extension lead added. Just do this:

See how I taped up the excess cable on the one side? Not pretty... but it works. The bad thing with this is the stupid right angled plug. But people using them with a bluetooth adapter would probable like the plug. Another example of how different everyone's needs are.

10235638.jpg

Recabling gives a much more attractive result :) Thanks to my husband HungryPanda.

10277943.jpg

Using some red tips that cem with another IEM on this one

10341301.jpg

... and then there is my black MH755 that is not fake but the seller also had fake ones so we just got lucky. The sellers do not always know what they have been supplied with. Just had to use the the yellow tips from one of my spare white pairs:) The bumble bee version.

10345392.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #20,037 of 31,833
use spiral dots if you can get the fit, it tames the mid bass with a little bit bigger sub bass (only a little) and sounds wider overall on soundstage. 1 only minor drawback of spiral dots are because of the dots, they smoothen trebles, which is good but with compensation of a little bit blurry imaging. Every tips have their pros and cons.

And also cable. Im thinking that the BLON will be nice with silver plated copper cable as it will tighten the bass part more, and the trebles are not bright, so slight improvement will be no harm to highs part. Waiting my 16 core cable for my BLON, and i ordered the one without earhook, i was thinking if i can use them as down ear / hanging down iem too with swapping left and right unit.
Yes, I'm using Spiral Dots and a 16 core silver plated cable. The balance is just about right though the bass is still a little above neutral.

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #20,038 of 31,833
Thanks for your impressions! But unfortunately it's a no go for me for IEMs with non detachable cables. Unless it's a cheap IEM like MH 755.
I had 2 midfi IEMs become unusable in the past due to faulty cables at the insertion to IEM shell. Actually if a cheap 16 buck IEM like the **** can have detachable cables, I'm a bit disappointed higher end sets can't incorporate detachable ones too.

BK50 is available in mmcx version, as well as fixed cable version.

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #20,039 of 31,833
Yes, I'm using Spiral Dots and a 16 core silver plated cable. The balance is just about right though the bass is still a little above neutral.

Alright, yes definitely BLON isnt bass shy, for me also i prefer just a bit lower, but so far so good, not complain about that, still acceptable for me. My biggets issue is the fit, but actually with cables, they are OK, only with BT20 because of the earhook stiffness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back