CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #18,466 of 31,833
+1 for the Steampunk!
Dunno if @crabdog (Crabbos) was the first reviewer who mentioned their steampunk aspect but I couldn't agree more - my steel-grey copies right in front of me look simply gorgeous and above that sound pretty amazing for their money. Best ~18€ spent in a good while but with the almost equally priced QT2 on their way now that could easily change.

IMG_20190622_170750-01.jpeg

(... on a 16-core HiFiHear cable - amazing combo)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #18,467 of 31,833
I have the copper ones and they look great with the copper cable. They sound good too, (but they're banned!).

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #18,468 of 31,833
Anybody know anything of the 3003 from banned? $40 and looks good. The **** was a winner, and 6in1 is one of my favorites of all time. Already have purchased 2 iems and 2 earbuds in the past 4 days, and am waiting on a $40 coupon from ebay to buy KB100, so I am at defcon 3 right now. Cant buy nothing! They sure look nice though. Somebody should take one for the team and get one. :0

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #18,469 of 31,833
Anybody know anything of the 3003 from banned? $40 and looks good. The **** was a winner, and 6in1 is one of my favorites of all time. Already have purchased 2 iems and 2 earbuds in the past 4 days, and am waiting on a $40 coupon from ebay to buy KB100, so I am at defcon 3 right now. Cant buy nothing! They sure look nice though. Somebody should take one for the team and get one. :0
i bought 3 cables, two DD in ears and one earbud the last 5 days, i don't need them

Jun 22, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #18,470 of 31,833
Keep us updated! Want it as potential gift.

WTH?:confused:
I do not agree a bit! KPE has VERY clear and detailed sound and no congestion anywhere, neither in imaging or soundstage nor does it sound as warm-signature IEM.

What are You using as source? Are You amping them properly (mA)? What tips do You use and do they slide down the nozzle?
My source is A&K sp1000 and I use the stock clear tips and the stock cable.
Thank you for reminding me of amping. I tried phatlab sassy2 and yup I partially agree with you. With the amp kpe does sound much more clear and detailed than pairing with sp1000 only. However I still feel kpe is a little bit congested/creamy and on the warm side. I couldn’t call a sound like this “VERY” clear though it IS fun and pleasant to listen to.
Maybe that’s because we have different references. Mine is the extremely clear er4xr.
Anyway, kpe improves a lot with a proper amplification so now I can give it a 8/10 (used to be 6/10)

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #18,471 of 31,833
Blah blah blah slow shipping and updates and potentially transferring systems, but according to AE the set of IEMs I ordered as a form factor experiment/comparison have been in-flight across the Pacific for five days now... >->

Jun 22, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #18,472 of 31,833
Blah blah blah slow shipping and updates and potentially transferring systems, but according to AE the set of IEMs I ordered as a form factor experiment/comparison have been in-flight across the Pacific for five days now... >->

I had something " in flight" for three weeks once. It arrived... lol. Don't worry.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #18,473 of 31,833
I had something " n flight" for three weeks once. It arrived... lol. Don't worry.
I'm not too worried, I was just hoping it would arrive before the current AE sale ends so I could decide what Bluetooth cable module I want to get (if any). :p I love my IE 40 Pro, but they're custom-ended and not-cheap, which complicates things...

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #18,474 of 31,833
The HiFi BCD X10 earphones arrived in the mail today.
It turns out that the splitter is more compact that it appeared in the photos on eBay - so that's a good thing.
After switching to the larger silicone tips, I'm getting a good seal in my ears, without having to insert them uncomfortably deep.
Due to the length and shape of these earphones, they're the only ones in my collection that pretty much have to be worn with the cable down, in order to place them for best sound.
I've had them connected to my iBasso PB2 (dual OPA1622 op-amps), streaming New Orleans Jazz band "Tuba Skinny" videos (thanks to @Wyville for posting a video in the "IEM/Ear Bud Lounge" thread) from my Roku4 and PC.
Due to having a forward Midrange, it seemed like they may be a bit Bass-shy, but I went to https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and verified that they have Bass that's sensed at 10Hz, and audible beginning at 20Hz.
While on that webpage, I listened to Left, Right, Center, & Twisted - to check for mis-wiring, and determined that the drivers are in-phase, but the wires to Tip and Ring1 are swapped.
Aside from the issue of cable noise (which would usually be isolated better if I could wear the cable over the ear), and the fact that they're labeled and wired backwards (L <-> R), these X10 really do have a clear, detailed sound.

I have discovered that with extended use (over night), the moisture buildup in the nozzles of the X10, reduces the output level of the earphones quite a lot.
After they've been left to dry out, they sound OK again.
This is similar to what happens when the filter material gets damp in the LZ A4 earphone nozzles.

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #18,475 of 31,833
I have discovered that with extended use (over night), the moisture buildup in the nozzles of the X10, reduces the output level of the earphones quite a lot.
After they've been left to dry out, they sound OK again.
This is similar to what happens when the filter material gets damp in the LZ A4 earphone nozzles.

Speaking of which, I have discovered my UE triplefi's have severely reduced output, the damping filters on the BA's look ok, but either they have absorbed moisture or I have damaged the high BA's in both earphones. It is odd because both sides measure and sound identically wrong compared to other measurements I have seen. I don't know if there is any way to revive them. :frowning2: I don't think there is any way to pull the dampers off without destroying them.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #18,476 of 31,833
Speaking of which, I have discovered my UE triplefi's have severely reduced output, the damping filters on the BA's look ok, but either they have absorbed moisture or I have damaged the high BA's in both earphones. It is odd because both sides measure and sound identically wrong compared to other measurements I have seen. I don't know if there is any way to revive them. :frowning2: I don't think there is any way to pull the dampers off without destroying them.

I just carefully lifted the grill on one of the X10 nozzles, and there's not any filter material between the driver and the grill.
And, glancing down the nozzle, the driver diaphragm looked shiny, like metal.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #18,477 of 31,833
IEM tip sizing is weird. Swapped tips around on my **** for a while today since the stock ones were "eh"... Remembered folks had suggested wide bores but couldn't get a good fit/seal with my S SpiralDots. Dug up the cheap similarly shaped tips I'd picked up at a Daiso a few months back and the S didn't work either... but the M did (though it was a bit harder to insert). Was all set to start being annoyed because maybe I'd bought the wrong size $piralDots... and then on a whim dug up a pair of M Starlines and those work quite well too never mind that with the ZSN/C10 I can't even get the blasted things to stay put. *headscratch*

(Quick edit - FWIW, the slightly-narrower-bore-than-the-SpinFits Daiso tips do sound a bit better than the Starlines. :p )

I use Auvios, or grey Starlines. The stiffer silicone of the grey ones seems to stay on the nozzle better than the black Starlines.
Not Auvios/different-Starlines, but pretty sure it was based on your recommendation in some other thread that I picked up these Whirlwind tips (cheaper KZ ones, but it was a test run) and hey look M Whirlwinds fit better *and* sound better than the cheap Daiso tips and Starlines both. :-D (Must be an insertion depth thing with sizing, the closest any of my other IEMs have come to M tips working was the IE 40 Pro and even there the S were noticeably better...)

One minor complication as a result though, I'm now having second thoughts about the Tin Audio T2s sitting in my cart on AE... Was pondering getting them alongside one of the TRN Bluetooth cables to hedge my bets in case the "same general form factor as the IE 40 Pro" Tennmak Pros didn't work out one way or another (get here already nuisance package) since while I could get the **** comfortable and stable for sitting I never could get them solid enough I'd consider them for Bluetooth/walking with but now with the Whirlwinds... <-< (Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in the T2s - if I hadn't checked the Sales forum on a whim the same day someone posted the IE 40 Pro I bought I'd have already bought a pair. I'm just not sure I'm *sufficiently* interested, even at 30$, now that I've Whirlwind-ed the DT6s.)

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #18,478 of 31,833
I'm still interested in the T2s - if I hadn't checked the Sales forum on a whim the same day someone posted the IE 40 Pro I bought I'd have already bought a pair. I'm just not sure I'm *sufficiently* interested, even at 30$, now that I've Whirlwind-ed the DT6s.)

There will be other sales ahead. By then there may be something that you are even more interested in. Nothing is a "must have." Too many choices for that to be true.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #18,479 of 31,833
...I could get the XXX comfortable and stable for sitting I never could get them solid enough I'd consider them for Bluetooth/walking with but now with the Whirlwinds...

...I'm just not sure I'm *sufficiently* interested, even at 30$, now that I've Whirlwind-ed the XXX.)

Neat, I’ll have to give the whirlwind a try on those :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #18,480 of 31,833
I don’t have both, so unfortunately I can’t compare them. But I do have the Nine Tail, which is a steal at $75.

Remember that the Nine Tail has front and rear filters, allowing you to tailor the sound to your liking. That’s like having multiple IEMs in 1.
Thanks @Slater I chose the 9tail at $75 at the very last 5 minutes before the sale ended. :):ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back