CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 8, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #17,761 of 31,833
What other metal earbuds you can suggest pls? Which is not very expensive and ideally have Mic also. Also, if we remove the Metal Grille on the back from the earbud, what we will need to cover it then? I also don't want Sound to be leaked but it seems due to open back design, whatever I am listening using MS16, the person next to me or in the same room will also listen that. Is that correct? So if I cover the back completely, will tat affect sound or what?

If you cover the hole completely, it will sound even worse than it does stock. The hole is there to allow the driver air to breathe (it's a vent). The problem is that the metal grille they used has very tiny holes, so it is very restrictive and almost no air can pass. That's why the grille needs to be totally removed.

As far as sound leaking, that tiny vent hole on the back is the least of your worries. Earbuds themselves leak sound everywhere, where the speaker outputs the sound. It's not sealed in your ear like an IEM is (which uses a foam or silicone eartip to create a sealed enclosure in your ear canal).

So yeah, any and every earbud you use will leak sound to a person sitting right next to you. You can control the leakage using the volume of your source device. If you listen at a very low volume they won't really be able to hear your music. But if you listen to any earbud at a realistic volume, a person sitting right next to you will hear your music (or at least be able to hear that you are listening to music, even if they can't make out the specific lyrics).

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #17,762 of 31,833
If you cover the hole completely, it will sound even worse than it does stock. The hole is there to allow the driver air to breathe (it's a vent). The problem is that the metal grille they used has very tiny holes, so it is very restrictive and almost no air can pass. That's why the grille needs to be totally removed.

As far as sound leaking, that tiny vent hole on the back is the least of your worries. Earbuds themselves leak sound everywhere, where the speaker outputs the sound. It's not sealed in your ear like an IEM is (which uses a foam or silicone eartip to create a sealed enclosure in your ear canal).

So yeah, any and every earbud you use will leak sound to a person sitting right next to you. You can control the leakage using the volume of your source device. If you listen at a very low volume they won't really be able to hear your music. But if you listen to any earbud at a realistic volume, a person sitting right next to you will hear your music (or at least be able to hear that you are listening to music, even if they can't make out the specific lyrics).

You are wrong. I am using earbuds and while they are not IEM and don't seal like that, there is no sound leakage I noticed. I have TP16, Yincrow X6 and Eaifier and Apple Earbuds and none leaks sound at all. If MS16 is similar in "leaking" sound like these, then I guess there is no sound leakage at all. :)

May 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #17,763 of 31,833
You are wrong. I am using earbuds and while they are not IEM and don't seal like that, there is no sound leakage I noticed. I have TP16, Yincrow X6 and Eaifier and Apple Earbuds and none leaks sound at all. If MS16 is similar in "leaking" sound like these, then I guess there is no sound leakage at all. :)

In that case either your listening volume is low enough or the surrounding environment is loud enough that others aren't noticing the sound leakage.

Either that or everyone can't be bothered and/or has been too nice to say anything.

May 9, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #17,764 of 31,833

That logic fails me. I have earbuds too. My personal favourite is the TO600. And it leaks, both ways.

In that case either your listening volume is low enough or the surrounding environment is loud enough that others aren't noticing the sound leakage.

Either that or everyone can't be bothered and/or has been too nice to say anything.

And yes, I agree. They only work for me if I were listening in a fairly quiet environment, else would have to churn up the volume to sufficiently block out the background. And likewise the sound leak gets even louder because of that.

May 9, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #17,766 of 31,833
What's the official "chinese" name? I'm in Italy and it costs €46 from amazon.it
Have you looked at Advanced Sleeper? I can find them in Amazon Spain, cost around 30€ and are designed to be comfortable in the bed. About sound, I like a lot the sound of adv. S2000 (very comfortable in the bed too), but is another model and I think that can be hard to find nowadays.

May 9, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #17,767 of 31,833
Just thought I'd pop back in a say that my ZSN Pro's turned up yesterday and I'm stoked! Previously the best in ears I had were the UE 600vi and I'd have to say the KZ's are better. I'm impressed. (I'm no audiophile but I like to think I can appreciate decent sound, I absolutely adore my Q701's) The only quibble I have so far is that there is bit of background hiss at low volumes which I wasn't really expecting given I'm driving them with a Galaxy S9. But overall I'm very happy with them, they sound great and honestly I just can't quite believe how cheap they are. They aren't perfect but they are very fun to listen to. I guess the market really has improved in the last few years.

May 9, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #17,768 of 31,833
Just thought I'd pop back in a say that my ZSN Pro's turned up yesterday and I'm stoked! Previously the best in ears I had were the UE 600vi and I'd have to say the KZ's are better. I'm impressed. (I'm no audiophile but I like to think I can appreciate decent sound, I absolutely adore my Q701's) The only quibble I have so far is that there is bit of background hiss at low volumes which I wasn't really expecting given I'm driving them with a Galaxy S9. But overall I'm very happy with them, they sound great and honestly I just can't quite believe how cheap they are. They aren't perfect but they are very fun to listen to. I guess the market really has improved in the last few years.

I don’t get any background hiss with the ZSN Pro on any of my sources. My guess is the hiss is due to something with your phone, or it could just be an issue with whatever app you’re using.

May 9, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #17,769 of 31,833
What's the official "chinese" name? I'm in Italy and it costs €46 from amazon.it

I can't find a chinese name. EN303 is printed on the earpieces but I searched for that and only found the amazon one. There are other earphones though with that same shape. The Moxpad x3 for example. I have the Moxpad x6 which is too big for sleeping but the x3 is the same form factor as the ones you were looking at. I found it on sale here for about $13 with free shipping. I know if you search the headfi or use google you will find some impressions. I remember reading good ones in the past... certainly good enough for sleeping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mox...ass-Hifi-DC-Small-Port-Cable/32931566522.html

As for the LaFi, ave you checked to see if Amazon UK ships to you? I have ordered things here from other Amazon locations like Amazon.de.

edit... just did a quick google for the QKZ... is this the one? Very inexpensive.

https://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_009528413470.html

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #17,770 of 31,833
I'm really enjoying the T3. It seems to combine the detail of the C16 with the vitality of the ZS7. The soundstage is excellent, although not as large as some others, the layering, separation and detail seem to enlarge it. I cued up the first track of "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart and ended up listening to the whole album! The initial sibilance has all but disappeared after 40 hours burn in and I really like the top end on these. Bass is deep, extended and linear. Mids are revealing and open. I'm very happy!

May 10, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #17,771 of 31,833
Wow. Good post.

You convinced me to burn-in the T3. There's still some hope...

You must buy the ****.

Nobody on Headfi needs more IEMw, earbuds or headphones. But we want some fun, and we want that feeling of buying a new gem, don't we all? :beyersmile:

I must eat my words on the T3.
After some burnin (24h) the sibilance still exists but is much less than before. The piercing sound is practically gone, and this alone was the the reason I put the T3 down.
The sound is enjoyable now, with very controlled linear bass (and sub-bass actually exists on the T3) and clear mids. It's a very good IEM actually.

This proves we need to give some time before judging an IEM (not after 2 days like I did). The T3 was very harsh and piercing out-of-the-box.
So, I'm sorry for the precoce bashing on the T3.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #17,772 of 31,833
I must eat my words on the T3.
After some burnin (24h) the sibilance still exists but is much less than before. The piercing sound is practically gone, and this alone was the the reason I put the T3 down.
The sound is enjoyable now, with very controlled linear bass (and sub-bass actually exists on the T3) and clear mids. It's a very good IEM actually.

This proves we need to give some time before judging an IEM (not after 2 days like I did). The T3 was very harsh and piercing out-of-the-box.
So, I'm sorry for the precoce bashing on the T3.

Thanks for the follow up and helping me not eat my words. Burn in as debatable as it is seems to do the T3 some benefit. I still listen to them in some disbelief that they were piercing. Wait... were they really piercing or was I just having an off day?

The oddest part is when you use a smaller bore tip and copper wire to attenuate the treble and then you find yourself grabbing an SPC cable and JVC Spiral Dots to expand that soundstage and gain a little clarity and treble presence on the SAME IEM! The DM6 is the exact same way.

I heard others make these same comments, maybe not entirely believing them, but I guess hearing is believing.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #17,773 of 31,833
Thanks for the follow up and helping me not eat my words. Burn in as debatable as it is seems to do the T3 some benefit. I still listen to them in some disbelief that they were piercing. Wait... were they really piercing or was I just having an off day?

The oddest part is when you use a smaller bore top and copper wire to attenuate the treble and then you find yourself grabbing an SPC cable and JVC Spiral Dots to expand that soundstage and gain a little clarity and treble presence on the SAME IEM! The DM6 is the exact same way.

I heard others make these same comments, maybe not entirely believed them, but I guess heading is believing.
+1 for the T3 with burn-in and Spiral Dots. That's what I'm using!

May 11, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #17,774 of 31,833
May 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #17,775 of 31,833
Hello All,
I have been using **** and C10 for more than a month now and I prefer C10 over **** because I feel C10 has a wider sound stage & punchy bass (bass on **** feels shallow).
But right now, I've gifted both of these earphones to my friends and looking to buy a new one.

So should I buy another pair of C10 or is there something better than C10 with a similar sound signature.
Things I want in earphone are:
1. Bigger and wider sound stage
2. Deep punchy bass with high amount of sub bass
3. Smooth sound (I'm treble sensitive)
4. Details, Separation on the same level as C10 or ****

May I know what my options are? how does C16 compare with C10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back