Cheaper AKG's decent?
May 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jreme

New Head-Fier
Hey so I was recently looking at the AKG K514 as an option for some new cans. So far my best headphones are $20 JVC Flats (still great value), and I was looking for a slight step up. The AKG K514's have pretty good reviews and for the price they seem like the best option.. The other option was a slight step higher to the AKG K142.. is it really work the extra $40 bucks? Im not using any amps or any fancy equipment. Getting the AKG K142s isnt really preferable unless their is a substantial difference. And i'm not spending more than $70 or buying anything off the internet. Side note: I'm in Canada so everything is a bit more expensive :/

AKG K514: $79
AKG K142: $119-149 (can't find an offline vendor atm)

May 13, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 4
AKG K44 is quite good, but only if you EQ down the bass.
If you do that, it's quite neutral and has very good mids. Out of the box it has bloated bass and it's really annoying.

It's also quite comfortable. Strangely I opened it up and it looked like the same driver as my Beyer Dynamic DT-235?!

What's weird is that with the default pads, the DT-235 isn't bass heavy, but with circumaural pads, it is!

May 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I find that a lot of people settle on a price point and find a headphone that justifies that price. Funny because as you spend more money you get more of an audiophile sound which is neutral and unimpressive to people who haven't been into the hobby for years and are looking for something with a lot of impact to make them experience music quite differently from how they normally hear it. I've revisited multiple headphones over the years since I started "canning" when I was 18. My ears have evolved so much it's amazing. For instance, I used to loathe the K601's I bought back in the day, now I believe they're one of the better buys for the money if youre doing a lot of long term computer listening.

Rant aside, the K44's are great and the K 99's are a good entry into "audiophile" cans. Open air headphones can offer a lot of clarity and decay (instruments fading) compared to closed ones in their price range. It takes quite a few feats of engineering for closed cans to have the same quality with the sound isolation they offer.

Oddly enough the K701 I can't really tolerate listening to especially while adding up how much the required peripherals cost to make it sound good. Money definitely doesn't always buy happiness in this hobby, sometimes they end up being  just things and well crafted things at that, but just buy what makes your ears happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back