Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #706 of 1,326
...The gestalt of the music, it's velocity and clarity, man I'm not sure how they packed all that into this beast....

You've seen that picture of Michael peering out from under the black hat, M8 in hand, 4 days growth, half an hour of sleep and and a stink-eye stare?  It's voodoo, I tell you!  Well, except that it is good magic, so not voodoo.  Definitely magic though.  Definitely.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #707 of 1,326
If that's the case then it has nothing to do with iOS7 enabling bistream audio output correct?

Correct.  Because it is a MFI device, the M8 has been able to digitally extract data from all modern iDevices prior to iOS7.  iOS7 has opened the door for more devices to work via CCK/USB but it is still device by device with no support from either side.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #708 of 1,326
@fraggler i use an ipod touch 4g with
Flacplayer app, easy to use.

Re:impedance. I have found vocals to be a bit to the right with 1ohm and 11ohm, whilst 2ohm has the vocals centered. I like the 2ohm setting.

Yes, 11ohm is 'warm'. I have notes of where i got the hifi-m8 to mimic the fostex hpp1 which is warm and smooth in that regard due to its 10ohm i suspect.

I knew I wanted a balance control; a nice quiet one, maybe digital. 

Now if I could only get the thing while it is still magical and not superseded by something "newer, therefore better".

Peter on pins and needles (or is it needles, needles and pins)

ps. My 13 year old is so obsessive/compulsive that he says he has CDO (has to be in alphabetical order). He's just like me!

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #709 of 1,326
  You've seen that picture of Michael peering....

why no, no I haven't

biggrin.gif
hehehe.

*snip snip snip

ps. My 13 year old is so obsessive/compulsive that he says he has CDO (has to be in alphabetical order). He's just like me!

haha, I like that one
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #712 of 1,326
  You've seen that picture of Michael peering out from under the black hat, M8 in hand, 4 days growth, half an hour of sleep and and a stink-eye stare?  It's voodoo, I tell you!  Well, except that it is good magic, so not voodoo.  Definitely magic though.  Definitely.

AMEN!!
Magic INDEED

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #714 of 1,326
  Has anyone beyond IronLung gotten the IEM mod?  Curious to see how other headphones do with the mod. 

I believe the mod only affects the lowest impedance setting, but I'm sure Michael could provide more detail...

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #715 of 1,326

I believe the mod only affects the lowest impedance setting, but I'm sure Michael could provide more detail...

Michael has said that it reduces max listening level by 6db, which I believe is across the whole system.  I just don't really know what a 6db drop would sound like.  I max out on the second gain setting for my HD800s and my T50RPs, so I assume I could have my black background and still have plenty of power for my full-sized headphones.  Still just pondering options since my listening profile changes so often.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #716 of 1,326
Still no "OFFICIAL" statement from Centrance about the compatibility of iPhone/iPod under iOS7 with the M8-LX !!????

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #718 of 1,326
  Still no "OFFICIAL" statement from Centrance about the compatibility of iPhone/iPod under iOS7 with the M8-LX !!????

Not sure what you are expecting.  Just like with Android, compatibility with the M8 via the USB B connector for iOS7 devices is not officially supported on either side.  Neither Apple nor Google officially support USB Audio, so there isn't really a way for CEntrance to officially support it either except for how they have.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #719 of 1,326
Agreed.

iPhone with standard cable to M8 iDevice version = "Official" method

IPhone with Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB + iOS 7 + another USB cable to an outboard DAC like the M8 = workaround.  Only appears to work with some DACs and at specific sample rates in some cases.  As to correct bit depths, sample rates, clean audio, considering the app used -- not sure if anyone can answer the issue of compatibility that clearly.  It is a definite "try it and see" situation.  For me, I'm no longer tracking this issue for the M8 because I have some older iDevices that need the iDevice version anyway.  

I also agree that iPhone-with-CCK might not work forever.  It appeared without any announcement and might go away with no fanfare as well in a future OS update.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #720 of 1,326
My take on the whole IOS7 CKK plus this, plus that option vs. the iDevice version - The former is a Kluge at best, the later is a *fairly* clean and svelte set up, at least as far as anything with a dock connector and rubber bands (bitchin' rubber bands mind you) can be.  I'll take the iDevice version.  I've already determined that I can't hear the difference between a 24/96 native file and one down sampled to 24/48 or 24/44.1, so 24/96 compatibility is just icing on the cake when it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back