Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Oct 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #737 of 1,326
Given the contributions from the community to the development of the M8 and Mike's attention to manufacturing detail, I am not surprised. What would there be to complain about?

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #741 of 1,326
Is it worth to have that stack and every time you need to reach bottom IPC change the combo and all? Still 320 gb is kind of a dream for a portable audiophile.

Hi,

My iPod Classics don't leave the house and I was tired of deciding between the black or the white Classic so I just glued the two silicone cases together. So it's a bit of a tongue in cheek picture.

For use outside the house, I tend to use my iPhone and LOD to a slim amp eg my Arrow 4G.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #742 of 1,326
  Is it worth to have that stack and every time you need to reach bottom IPC change the combo and all? Still 320 gb is kind of a dream for a portable audiophile.

that's why I'm stickin' w/ my iPod Classics!  I am goin' to get a new 54gb iPod Touch though.  Jude just got one and my iPod Touch is only 8gb!!!
  Leaving your Hifi-M8 plugged in to your desktop will actually (slowly) recharge your Hifi-M8 battery IIRC.

GREAT intel
thanX!!

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #743 of 1,326
  that's why I'm stickin' w/ my iPod Classics!  I am goin' to get a new 54gb iPod Touch though.  Jude just got one and my iPod Touch is only 8gb!!!

GREAT intel
thanX!!

Maybe wait on that purchase a couple of weeks.  Rumors are still out there for a storage upgrade, on the iPod Touch.  Maybe it will drop with the October iPad announcement.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #745 of 1,326
Hi,

My iPod Classics don't leave the house and I was tired of deciding between the black or the white Classic so I just glued the two silicone cases together. So it's a bit of a tongue in cheek picture.

For use outside the house, I tend to use my iPhone and LOD to a slim amp eg my Arrow 4G.

Slightly OT:  Gotta love multiple DAPs for storing music.  I've got an iPod Video 5.5gen and an iPod mini 2nd gen decked out in almost identical mods (128GB CFs, Rockbox), and each carries one-half of my lossless music collection, statically stored.  For the Dallas meet, I strapped both simultaneously to the Fiio E12 and used a reversible LOD to shuttle between each iPod's 30-pin line out.  In my case, the DAPs were the bread and the E12 was the meat in the sandwich.   It works pretty well, but the bulk makes it feel silly.  

Back to the topic:  Let's see whether the rumored iPod Touch 128GB comes out in the next month.  Then I could play the same dual-DAP game with the M8 (but it won't be cheap for sure).  I'm a fan of parametric EQ, so digital out from the Classic is a non-starter for me. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #746 of 1,326
  Slightly OT:  Gotta love multiple DAPs for storing music.  I've got an iPod Video 5.5gen and an iPod mini 2nd gen decked out in almost identical mods (128GB CFs, Rockbox), and each carries one-half of my lossless music collection, statically stored.  For the Dallas meet, I strapped both simultaneously to the Fiio E12 and used a reversible LOD to shuttle between each iPod's 30-pin line out.  In my case, the DAPs were the bread and the E12 was the meat in the sandwich.   It works pretty well, but the bulk makes it feel silly.  

Back to the topic:  Let's see whether the rumored iPod Touch 128GB comes out in the next month.  Then I could play the same dual-DAP game with the M8 (but it won't be cheap for sure).  I'm a fan of parametric EQ, so digital out from the Classic is a non-starter for me. 

What do you think, about $500 or so for the 128GB Touch whenever it finally appears? 

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #748 of 1,326
I think the same price as the current 64GB Touch...... $399

I don't want a Touch as it will distract me from the music. I'd like to see an iPod Pro with 300 GB SSD and a built-in DAC that can go toe to toe with A&K etc.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #750 of 1,326
  Just give me a 2x AA battery-powered iPod Pro with an ESS9018-M2 DAC to Line Out, an SDXC-capable card reader, no headphone amp, no HDD and no SSD.   (In my dreams...)

I don't want a Touch as it will distract me from the music. I'd like to see an iPod Pro with 300 GB SSD and a built-in DAC that can go toe to toe with A&K etc.

Do you guys literally believe Apple cares about audiophile world and make our dreams true? Nope, I don,t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back