Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #692 of 1,326
I tested with the 6G (the tiny one and last one with 30-pin), and it works perfectly.  No real reason to think the 7G wouldn't.

Awesome, thanks!

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #693 of 1,326
I've been playing with the 11 ohm impedance setting with my Mad Dogs and HD650's. The effect is subtle, but it takes just a bit of the"edge" off, going from a more analytical sound to a softer, less aggressive sound. I like the option, and choose it for relaxed listening. Something to do with the reduced damping factor maybe?

I also enjoy using the treble at the middle position (first active position). It ads a tiny bit of sparkle and air. I don't use it frequently, but again, a nice option to add that bit of sparkle and air to two headphones reputed to be a bit dark.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #694 of 1,326
I am really impressed with the M8.  I have been putting in a lot of head time with my balanced Momentums and these guys are really singing.  I have it one notch up on the treble for a touch of sparkle and the 2 ohm setting.  Nice and punchy.  More dynamic than I have heard the Momentums thus far.  I managed nearly 6 hours straight without ear pain due to the almost too small pads.  I think these are going to stay as my main closed can.  I might have to get an iDevice now just so I can have the M8 with me everywhere and still have access to Pandora and my mp3s (not just FLAC with my Note II and UARP).

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #695 of 1,326
Another funny thing.  Because of the digital extraction and top notch DAC and amp, the M8 has turned my 6G Nano into an audiophile transport.  

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #697 of 1,326
@fraggler i use an ipod touch 4g with
Flacplayer app, easy to use.

Re:impedance. I have found vocals to be a bit to the right with 1ohm and 11ohm, whilst 2ohm has the vocals centered. I like the 2ohm setting.

Yes, 11ohm is 'warm'. I have notes of where i got the hifi-m8 to mimic the fostex hpp1 which is warm and smooth in that regard due to its 10ohm i suspect.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #698 of 1,326
I always find it fascinating: How, no matter what a spec may tell you, we all interpret things differently.
It always comes down to the experience of the listener, no matter WHAT.

I won't get off on a subjectivist rant here (yeah, I got tired of that sh-- too sometimes) but I actually
do find it interesting, because I hear something completely different when I play w/ the impedance 
settings.

First, I can only discern a significant difference with that feature engaged while listening through  my HD800's, LCD3's,
and Mad Dogs thus far.  But what I hear when I go from 1-to-2-to-11 is the sound-staging comes forward (but not aggressively so)
but it doesn't beat ya over the head.  It is subtle, but I hear and feel that every time I mess with the switch on those cans.

I also think the bass gains a steadiness it didn't quite have at the lowest ohm setting.

it's GREAT to be able to mess with the sound, EQ it without mucking it up!
BRAVO to @mgoodman and his team for that!!

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #699 of 1,326
When I tried my Fostex hpp1 against the Hifi-M8
I tried to match the sound signatures.

I put the Gain on high for the Fostex and low for the Hifi-M8 to try to match their power output and volume.

I found that the :
Hifi-m8 on low gain and 1ohm matched Fostex
hpp1 on Filter 2, high Gain.

Hifi-m8 on low gain, 1ohm and +1 treble matched Fostex hpp1 on Filter 1, High gain.

(Fostex impedance output is just over 10ohms).

I myself listen to the Hii-M8 on Gain 2, ohm at 2 and (sometimes) bass +1.
So many options! So much P'wer!

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #700 of 1,326
When I tried my Fostex hpp1 against the Hifi-M8
I tried to match the sound signatures.

I put the Gain on high for the Fostex and low for the Hifi-M8 to try to match their power output and volume.

I found that the :
Hifi-m8 on low gain and 11ohm matched Fostex
hpp1 on Filter 2.

Hifi-m8 on low gain, 11ohm and +1 treble matched Fostex hpp1 on Filter 1.

(Fostex impedance output is just over 10ohms).

I myself listen to the Hii-M8 on Gain 2, ohm at 2 and (sometimes) bass +1.
So many options! So much P'wer!

It's awesome, how you matched them up that way.
Interesting process (NO BS)

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #701 of 1,326
My budget says I like the HP-P1 better....cause I already own it. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #703 of 1,326
My wifey still has an old iPod Nano (the first one w/ video - the little wide one) that I tried w/ the HiFi-M8 without issue!
I've been trying to get her into a new iPod for YRS - but she loves it!

If that's the case then it has nothing to do with iOS7 enabling bistream audio output correct?

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #704 of 1,326
If that's the case then it has nothing to do with iOS7 enabling bistream audio output correct?

was there a specific issue you're referring to?
Sorry - I'm just in the dark here.

I've admittedly only updated to iOS7 on my iPad(2)  - and that was so I could use it w/ my ALO International via the CCK
(been using my HRT Headstreamer with it previously).  That's my morning tea w/ the wifey rig!  Though the HiFi-M8 also
works brilliantly there too.  

I didn't update to iOS7 on my iPhone 4S or iPod Touch
- and both are working beautifully w/ my HiFi-M8 (XL4/iDevice edition)

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #705 of 1,326
  My budget says I like the HP-P1 better....cause I already own it. 
biggrin.gif

Well NOTHING can beat that budget! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I felt the same way about my PHA-1, and ADL X1.

But I'm PUMPED to have the M8 now.
This is ALWAYS down to the listener/ear of the beholder,
but:

I find the M8 to be a big upgrade sonically over my other 
battery-powered iDevice DAC/amps.  It gets me closer to my MYTEK/E.A.R home rig
when on-the-go than the others.  The gestalt of the music, it's velocity and clarity, man
I'm not sure how they packed all that into this beast.

But the HP-P1 is also a fantastic piece.  My buddy has one and I've used it often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back