CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,201 of 1,412
So I just got my CX unit from Massdrop with the variable output and 1 ohm mods and I am very disappointed... As soon as I plugged in my headphones and turn the volume dial up there is a loud hum from the unit. Between the 11 and 5 o'clock positions on the dial there is a loud buzzing. It occurs with or without my pc speakers plugged into the line out terminals. I am going to mess around with my equipment to see if I can find a source of the hum. I hope it isn't the modifications.. 

I waited over 5 weeks for this... Really disappointed... 
No good. Not typical. Sorry.

Please contact me by email and we will make it right.

info at CEntrance dot com.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,202 of 1,412
I know I just posted but something is seriously wrong with my unit/ ac adapter. I tried plugging and replugging the ac adapter and when I accidentally touched the metal casing the adapter started to spark.. There is now a serious burning smell and my unit is now blemished from the sparks..

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,204 of 1,412
  So I just got my CX unit from Massdrop with the variable output and 1 ohm mods and I am very disappointed... As soon as I plugged in my headphones and turn the volume dial up there is a loud hum from the unit. Between the 11 and 5 o'clock positions on the dial there is a loud buzzing. It occurs with or without my pc speakers plugged into the line out terminals. I am going to mess around with my equipment to see if I can find a source of the hum. I hope it isn't the modifications.. 

I waited over 5 weeks for this... Really disappointed... 

This happens with my VarOut CX unit from the mass drop order as well, and I am currently waiting for CEntrance to get back to me. They said they are researching the problem. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,205 of 1,412

This happens with my VarOut CX unit from the mass drop order as well, and I am currently waiting for CEntrance to get back to me. They said they are researching the problem. 

Have you had any luck yet? They are in contact with me as well but have been a little sluggish, hopefully because they are trying to research the problem. 

Does your unit have any buzzing when only the headphones and ac power are plugged in?

My unit does it is faint but definitely audible and only gets worse when I plug in the USB and line out to my speakers to take advantage of the variable out. 

I got mine with the mod with the intention that I could easily switch between speakers and headphones but thanks to the buzzing I just leave the speakers unplugged because it can clearly be heard over the music. 

Another thing I tried was switching to optical over USB which seemed to help lower the buzzing noise. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,206 of 1,412
  Have you had any luck yet? They are in contact with me as well but have been a little sluggish, hopefully because they are trying to research the problem. 

Does your unit have any buzzing when only the headphones and ac power are plugged in?

My unit does it is faint but definitely audible and only gets worse when I plug in the USB and line out to my speakers to take advantage of the variable out. 

I got mine with the mod with the intention that I could easily switch between speakers and headphones but thanks to the buzzing I just leave the speakers unplugged because it can clearly be heard over the music. 

Another thing I tried was switching to optical over USB which seemed to help lower the buzzing noise. 

No luck yet, they have not offered a solution so far.  They take a few days to respond to my emails =(.   

Mine seems to have the same symptoms as yours. There is a slight amp hiss with only USB/AC/headphones plugged in but there is an electric/static hum once RCA's are connected to either Line In or Line Out.  I have another older DACmini and the headphone amp on that unit is dead silent.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,207 of 1,412
No luck yet, they have not offered a solution so far.  They take a few days to respond to my emails (.   

Mine seems to have the same symptoms as yours. There is a slight amp hiss with only USB/AC/headphones plugged in but there is an electric/static hum once RCA's are connected to either Line In or Line Out.  I have another older DACmini and the headphone amp on that unit is dead silent.
Hang in there guys, we are working to figure this out. This is actually quite strange. We will get back to you shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back