CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,190 of 1,412
I have no experience with the other DACs you've listed, but I can say that, compared to ESS9018 and ESS9023 DACs (stereotyping them with the disclaimer that the chip isn't everything), I've always found the DACmini CX' proprietary DAC to exhibit none of the sheen or glare that sometimes accompanies the SABRE DACs. It's crisp, neutral and detailed, and the USB receiver is amazingly good. 

Mike

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,191 of 1,412
No sooner do I sell my Stello DA-100 Signature DAC then my son takes over my DACmini to use with his HE-560.  He had a choice of Nuforce HDP or Icon DAC, HiFiMan EF5, or his own Nuforce uDAC-2, Millett Hybrid and Schiit Audio Modi/Magni stack, but noooooo, he's gotta take the DACmini.  He's got a V-MODA Vamp Verza and the DACmini gave him the most noticeable upgrade.

If I hadn't just spent $770 on license plates for a new car I'd be getting another DACmini (PX) right now...  It's a good thing my HiFi-M8 is so good.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,192 of 1,412
Man! are those Audiophile license plates!?
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #1,193 of 1,412
C'mon Larry, you know you want that PX to run headphones off the speaker taps
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,197 of 1,412
If you don't want to order a replacement from CEntrance...  

You could try looking for a regulated, switchmode power supply rated anywhere between 9 VDC and 19 VDC  (preferably toward the high end, but no higher than 19 VDC), with a 2.8-Amp (or higher) current capacity, having a standard 5.5 x 2.5mm coaxial power connector (tip positive).

This would probably work, but I can't guarantee anything:

http://www.powerstream.com/ac-1830.htm

Get the power supply and the set of 7 adapters, too.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,200 of 1,412
So I just got my CX unit from Massdrop with the variable output and 1 ohm mods and I am very disappointed... As soon as I plugged in my headphones and turn the volume dial up there is a loud hum from the unit. Between the 11 and 5 o'clock positions on the dial there is a loud buzzing. It occurs with or without my pc speakers plugged into the line out terminals. I am going to mess around with my equipment to see if I can find a source of the hum. I hope it isn't the modifications.. 

I waited over 5 weeks for this... Really disappointed... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back