CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,036 of 1,412
I
Yeah, I just double checked and it's from the usb connection. I know this is more a household power/computer issue, but any ideas on a workaround for this? As this is for my secondary rig I was hoping to not have to drop too much extra cash on a solution. I suppose a usb-spdif bridge would work, or maybe a usb isolator like this? http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=62

[/quoteDo the computer and the DACmini share the power strip?

Does the computer itself give you any trouble during the brownout condition?

A line isolator is already built into DACmini, so not sure it would help, but you can still try of course.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,037 of 1,412
Nope, the computer runs just fine. Most puzzling.

p.s. it's an old Toshiba Satellite known for suffering from ground loops; I know you said the Dacmini already has a line isolator built in, but it's the only other thing I can think of

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,038 of 1,412
Nope, the computer runs just fine. Most puzzling.

p.s. it's an old Toshiba Satellite known for suffering from ground loops; I know you said the Dacmini already has a line isolator built in, but it's the only other thing I can think of

Here is from one of our engineers:

Is DACmini and the computer plugged in to the same outlet or power strip? Are the outlets loose (worn)?

Is the 'computer' a laptop with 2 or 3-prong AC cord? Is there a 'cheater-plug' used either for DACmini, the computer, power strip, or anything else electrically connected to the audio setup?

Is there gear attached to DM's coax input? Does this gear use a 2 or 3-prong AC cord? Does it use a cheater-plug?

Try placing a powered hub between DACmini and the computer. But this depends on whether the hub's output is compromised during power glitches.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,040 of 1,412
Quote:
Here is from one of our engineers:

Is DACmini and the computer plugged in to the same outlet or power strip? Are the outlets loose (worn)?

Is the 'computer' a laptop with 2 or 3-prong AC cord? Is there a 'cheater-plug' used either for DACmini, the computer, power strip, or anything else electrically connected to the audio setup?

Is there gear attached to DM's coax input? Does this gear use a 2 or 3-prong AC cord? Does it use a cheater-plug?

Try placing a powered hub between DACmini and the computer. But this depends on whether the hub's output is compromised during power glitches.

The dacmini and computer are plugged into the same power strip (no other devices plugged in other than a table lamp which has been off the entire time). All outlets are reasonably firm. There is nothing plugged into the second outlet either. Nothing else plugged in for the entire room actually.

Laptop has a 3-prong power cord. No cheater plugs are in use on any equipment

No other gear attached to the Dacmini PX inputs. Only the usb is in use.

I do not have any powered usb hubs, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,041 of 1,412
Quote:

The dacmini and computer are plugged into the same power strip (no other devices plugged in other than a table lamp which has been off the entire time). All outlets are reasonably firm. There is nothing plugged into the second outlet either. Nothing else plugged in for the entire room actually.

Defer to Mr. Goodman's advice (and you're own understanding of all things electronic, which is considerable given your posts I've read), but here's a thought: I think you can rule out a ground loop by attaching a cheater plug to the 3-prong plug of the DACmini's AC adapter.  (That may be why he was asking - to see if that potential "fix" was already in place.)

Waiting for Michael's feedback on this...

Mike

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,042 of 1,412
Quote:

Sorry guys - was away for the weekend. Please email me and we will solve it offline, it would be much faster that way.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,043 of 1,412
Hi Michael, thanks for the response. I haven't posted since because I have had difficulty replicating the original problem consistently. I want to at least get a better idea of the cause before I send you guys on a goosechase.

For anyone else coming into the thread just now, this isn't a problem with my dacmini which works just fine. It's a weird hiccup with my household wiring/ceiling fan/appliances that's causing blips, and Michael and co have been very gracious in trying to help me track it down. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,045 of 1,412
Thanks. At the moment, I think the issue arises when the dryer is running, if someone turns on the microwave, if a smartphone tries connecting to the wifi, when the moon is full, when squirrels are hopping on the power lines, or when unicorns prance across the street.

I really have no idea anymore.
blink.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,046 of 1,412
Meanwhile, my DACmini CX is doing a fine job with my near-field monitors.

WAV > Foobar 2000 WASAPI event mode > USB > Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB cable > CEntrance DACmini CX Line Out > Emotiva RCA interconnects > TBI Millenia MG3 > KnuKonceptz Kord 10-AWG 462-strand OFC > Definitive Technology SM45 monitors (with the MG3 powered by a four-cell 1000 mAh LiPo pack that produces 16.8V at full charge, requiring recharge at 12.0V)

The MG3 puts out 32 Watts into an 8-Ohm load with 24 DC supply voltage.

The amp's designer, Jan Plummer, is shipping me a separately purchased impedance matching box for use with my 50-Ohm LCD-2.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue67/tbi_millenia.htm

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/definitive-technology-studiomonitorsm-45-loudspeakers-hi-fi/

Mike

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,048 of 1,412
I don't have the PX, but my understanding is that it contains the same DAC and headphone amp as the CX, but adds a speaker amp.

So, if you plug your headphones into the headphone jack of a PX, you will hear the same sound quality as heard with a CX.

I recall hearing that some people have tried connecting power-hungry headphones like the HiFiMan HE-6 to the speaker terminals of the PX, but I don't recall any impressions, good or bad.

The CX amp section has plenty of power for most headphones and sounds great with both the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3.  

For the LCD-2, I still prefer the DACmini CX over the Burson Soloist (headphone amp), the Emotiva a-100 Mini-X (speaker amp), and the TBI Milena MG3 (speaker amp) with resistor network.  

In my opinion, the DACmini CX is one of yesterday's heroes that still deserves a lot of attention. 

If you want an all-in-one solution for driving speakers, too, get the DACmini PX.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,049 of 1,412
I have the PX and have powered my HE-6 directly off the speaker taps. I've got some impressions written up here: link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back