CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jul 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,023 of 1,412
I was wondering about the amp section of the dacmini. How does it fit into the dacmini casing when there is already the dac and headphone amp in there? Where does the space for the amp fit in? What kind of class D amp is in the dacmini? What is the dacminis power output into 8 ohms?
Has anykind of dedicated intergrated centrance amp ever been thought about over at centrance HQ because that would be my dream amp because i dont think the dacmini px will be able to power kef r300/ls50.

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,024 of 1,412
I was wondering about the amp section of the dacmini. How does it fit into the dacmini casing when there is already the dac and headphone amp in there? Where does the space for the amp fit in? What kind of class D amp is in the dacmini? What is the dacminis power output into 8 ohms?
Has anykind of dedicated intergrated centrance amp ever been thought about over at centrance HQ because that would be my dream amp because i dont think the dacmini px will be able to power kef r300/ls50.

CEntrance provides very little info on the Class D amps in the DACmini PX, not even what chips power it. (Perhaps someone from CEntrance will chime in here.) CEntrance's own web site doesn't even show what the power amp board looks like, but 6Moons.com has a review of the DACmini PX with a picture that shows one side of it.

With Class D amps, you can't tell much by looking, because they all look underwhelming. I used to own a multi-channel Rotel amp with Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 100 watt per channel Class D amp modules. It equaled (and slightly surpassed) the sound quality of a Bryston 120 wpc amp that weighed five times more and was priced three times higher. However, I'd be surprised if the amp modules in the PX are up to the B&O ICEpower level of sound quality, and at only 25 wpc, they're likely to be inadequate for your KEF speakers unless you're listening in a nearfield setup that doesn't require much power.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,025 of 1,412
DACmini PX is a desktop integrated amp. Its 25 per channel watts of power is plenty for our MasrerClass 2504 Near-Field Monitors. The amp board sits in the back half of the unit, on the second floor, directly before the speaker terminals. We use modern TI technology in the amp.

PX may not be the best choice for larger floor standing speakers, it was designed to be used on the desktop, where 25W per channel is plenty.

We are currently working on a very unique portable solution (HiFi-M8) and may switch back to amp technology later. Right now we don't offer a higher powered amp, but thank you for your interest and good words.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #1,026 of 1,412
I haven't posted here in a while but wanted to chime in that lately, while I've been not feeling well, that I spend a lot of time listening to music in my bedroom but not posting here much.  

Most of my listening for the past 5-6 months is with my Macbook retina 15" > DACmini > LCD-2 rev2, LA7000, HE-500, and JH16Pro Freqphase.  I also do a fair bit of listening with my Nuforce DAC-100 > HD800 for their great synergy.  I sometimes use a Nuforce iDo as a digital dock for listening with my iPad if I don't want to use the Macbook.  With several tens of thousands of dollars worth of DACs, amps and other headphones at home, the above is the gear that I use the most because it's where it's most convenient.  

If I want to listen to speakers I can use my Apple TV > Audioengine D2 wireless DAC > Nuforce STA-100 speaker amp with my PSB Imagine Mini bookshelf speakers.  I can move the D2 receiver, STA-100, and speakers anywhere around the house, and control the music via my iPad and apple remote software.

I have pretty much ignored my big headphone rig in the basement for months, which is my PS Audio PWD with Bridge > Eddie Current ZDT, EF6, KGSS and KGBH amps > Stax SR-009, SR-007, Senn HE-60 and HiFIMan HE-6.  It often feels like too much trouble to head down to the basement where I'm too isolated and have to wait for the amps to warm up.  That's about $22K in gear that's being wasted, but I can't bring myself to sell it because when I do use it I find the sound to be heavenly.

How crazy is that?

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,027 of 1,412
I often find myself leaning the way of convenience as well. I've got the big Nuforce-100 stack sitting around, but tend to use the smaller HDP or Dacmini more. Actually I use the HE-6 with the HDP/Icon2 and the Dacmini is currently in a flight case.

Heck, often I just use a PX100-ii with a Focusrite VRMbox and call it a day.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,029 of 1,412
I often find myself leaning the way of convenience as well. I've got the big Nuforce-100 stack sitting around, but tend to use the smaller HDP or Dacmini more. Actually I use the HE-6 with the HDP/Icon2 and the Dacmini is currently in a flight case.

Heck, often I just use a PX100-ii with a Focusrite VRMbox and call it a day.

How do you like Dacmin (dac and anp)i + HE-6?

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,030 of 1,412
Quote:
How do you like Dacmin (dac and anp)i + HE-6?

I really like it. Feeding off the speaker taps (I have the PX version) it drives them with aplomb. I have more notes written up here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666077/mini-shootout-desktop-amping-solutions-for-the-he-6-nuforce-icon2-sta-100-and-centrance-dacmini-px

Right now I'm defaulting to my Nuforce HDP/Icon2/LPS stack because I like the tonality just slightly more, but it's a bit clunky. If I wanted a single no-nonsense all-in-one unit to drive my HE-6, the Dacmini PX would be an easy choice.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,031 of 1,412
Quote:

I really like it. Feeding off the speaker taps (I have the PX version) it drives them with aplomb. I have more notes written up here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666077/mini-shootout-desktop-amping-solutions-for-the-he-6-nuforce-icon2-sta-100-and-centrance-dacmini-px

Right now I'm defaulting to my Nuforce HDP/Icon2/LPS stack because I like the tonality just slightly more, but it's a bit clunky. If I wanted a single no-nonsense all-in-one unit to drive my HE-6, the Dacmini PX would be an easy choice.

Without any resistors? No issues with volume control? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #1,032 of 1,412
None at all; I go straight wire into the XLR. Volume control is just fine and I have a good range of use. I tried it briefly with the standard Hifiman arrangement (didn't like it) and with the 10ohm parallel (ok). It sounds best without anything.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,033 of 1,412
Ugh, the dacmini hates my ceiling fan. Whenever I switch the fan speed, it kills the dacmini and I have the unplug the power to reset it. It also seems particularly susceptible to the bad power in my home, as people turning on and off appliances (like a microwave, tv, etc) will cause clicks and pops. The surge protector I have does nothing. I wonder if a beefier power distribution bar would work? or a UPS? or a full out power conditioner?

I'm guessing the Dacmini has some sort of protection relay that locks it down when it gets some sort of transient spike in the power rails? or is this possibly some weird usb glitch causing the freeze? (I know, I know, power issues are fiendishly difficult to narrow down)

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,034 of 1,412
Does this happen when the computer is connected to the DACmini? Try to turn the fan on/off while DACmini is not communicating with the computer (USB cable is not connected). If it continues to reset, then it's the unit itself, but I'm suspecting but the USB connection is breaking and that's known to freeze the unit.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,035 of 1,412
Yeah, I just double checked and it's from the usb connection. I know this is more a household power/computer issue, but any ideas on a workaround for this? As this is for my secondary rig I was hoping to not have to drop too much extra cash on a solution. I suppose a usb-spdif bridge would work, or maybe a usb isolator like this? http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back