CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #451 of 1,412

Quote:
What was your volume control issue? Mine seems to be experiencing a small amount of mis-tracking at very low volume (left channel attenuates faster than right channel) but since I'm not using IEMs and never listen to anything at that volume setting, I've been inclined to let it slide...

A certain amount of mistracking at very low volume is normal.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #452 of 1,412

Quote:
What was your volume control issue? Mine seems to be experiencing a small amount of mis-tracking at very low volume (left channel attenuates faster than right channel) but since I'm not using IEMs and never listen to anything at that volume setting, I've been inclined to let it slide...

Initially, I had a minimal tracking issue at very low volume but did not care because I never listened at such a low level.  Recently, I had the music stopped but rotated the volume knob up and down and noticed a scratchy sound.  I was concerned that might indicate a problem that could worsen over time.  I sent in my Dacmini and David replaced the volume mechanism.  No more scratchy sound.  It also turns with slightly more resistance than the original knob; the original knob seemed too loose.  It is now very smooth.  And it sounds wonderful with IEM's and my LCD2's.  Many thanks to the CEntrance guys for a great amp and great customer service.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #453 of 1,412
Just pulled the trigger on lcd-2 v1 and dacmini, will post thoughts when I get them in
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #456 of 1,412
I have read the entire thread and the majority is about the excellent synergy between the LCD-2 & DACmini. I'm a new owner of the DACmini (1 Ohms option) and like it a lot with my headphones ( MS2i Woody, HD-650, SRH-940, Not tried the AD-W5000 yet ) and I do not have the LCD-2 on my short list (yet!) but was wondering if owners of the DACmini with other headphones can share their experience too. It's still too early for me to provide in depth analysis and I'm not very good at writing my musical experience (English is not my first language)  but so far I can say that I like how the music is portrayed. Neutral, good soundstage (Better than my Dacport) and better bass impact. Very good extension on both extreme.

Cheer  
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #457 of 1,412

Quote:
I have read the entire thread and the majority is about the excellent synergy between the LCD-2 & DACmini. I'm a new owner of the DACmini (1 Ohms option) and like it a lot with my headphones ( MS2i Woody, HD-650, SRH-940, Not tried the AD-W5000 yet ) and I do not have the LCD-2 on my short list (yet!) but was wondering if owners of the DACmini with other headphones can share their experience too. It's still too early for me to provide in depth analysis and I'm not very good at writing my musical experience (English is not my first language)  but so far I can say that I like how the music is portrayed. Neutral, good soundstage (Better than my Dacport) and better bass impact. Very good extension on both extreme.

Cheer  
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear your liking the DACmini. :D

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #458 of 1,412

Quote:

Cheer  
biggrin.gif

2 members posting impressions for Hifiman HE-500, read below the following post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-loan-pair-for-uk-pg-28/735#post_7715771

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #459 of 1,412
I like what I've heard in this thread.

I'm about to join the family.

I hope this is a good choice.

-Ray

Last question:  Will these bring the bass to life on my Denons?  I want my bass back and I plan to buy some more bass friendly headphones in the future, and maybe an AKG.

I don't want a treble monster.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #460 of 1,412
I personally don't think there is much of a tilt either way with the DacMini... It's smooth, musical and fairly neutral in my opinion. When I think of the change it had in my system, I mostly noticed increased resolution and detail.... not to be confused with increased brightness (as that is how some companies achieve more perceived resolution and detail).
The LCD-2s is what brought the bass to life in my system :wink:

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #461 of 1,412
I just had the opportunity to get a few hours of listening in on a Dacmini my friend recently bought and broke in. I'm already sold, and going to order one with the 1ohm mod, and the variable out mod as well. I want mine to be black as everything on my desk, including my desk is black, but there is no way I can justify spending $200+ on a color. Thats 1/4th the price of the device itself.
For reference, we both have Denon AH-D2000's. I plan on performing the markL mod on mine as well. I'm currently using a Headamp Pico (not the slim model). Its nice, but the Dacmini is on a different level.

Does anyone have any idea why the black model cost $200 more? Seems kind of ridiculous. Oh well, I can live with the Apple Silver.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #462 of 1,412

Quote:
I just had the opportunity to get a few hours of listening in on a Dacmini my friend recently bought and broke in. I'm already sold, and going to order one with the 1ohm mod, and the variable out mod as well. I want mine to be black as everything on my desk, including my desk is black, but there is no way I can justify spending $200+ on a color. Thats 1/4th the price of the device itself.
For reference, we both have Denon AH-D2000's. I plan on performing the markL mod on mine as well. I'm currently using a Headamp Pico (not the slim model). Its nice, but the Dacmini is on a different level.

Does anyone have any idea why the black model cost $200 more? Seems kind of ridiculous. Oh well, I can live with the Apple Silver.

Not sure why it costs $200 more... but perhaps it can be broken down and spray painted?

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #463 of 1,412
I might have missed something, but why the 1 ohm mod?

I'm considering the variable output mod only at this time because I have a nice pair of active speakers that need love.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #464 of 1,412

Quote:
I might have missed something, but why the 1 ohm mod?

I'm considering the variable output mod only at this time because I have a nice pair of active speakers that need love.

The 10 Ohm output resistance do affects considerable sound quality on the majority of IEMs and all other low impedance headphones. On LCD/HE-500 and other orthos, which are low impedance, the 10 Ohm output resistance should, in theory, not effect sound quality, but will lower maximum volume (about 2dB). HE-500 is said to need a more powerful amplifier than DACmini, so the extra 2 dB will likely be more beneficient.

Anyway, I think that 1 Ohm output resistance should be the standard. Charging 100$ for this (and more 100$ for variable output) is *really* overpriced IMHO. About the 200$ for black color option, maybe it is justified because an extra process (black color dying ???) is added.

I am trying to mod myself the 10 Ohm output and make it  even less than 1 Ohm. Although it is something that I do not recommend to anyone with no sufficient electronic skills (and an oscilloscope) I will post, when I am done, the procedure.  I am suprised that  I heard differences with HD-650. HD-650 is a 300 Ohm impedance phone and should not be effected by a mere 10 Ohm output resistance. But the difference, although small, was clearly audible. Bass got more controlled! 

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #465 of 1,412

Quote:

I'm running the D2000s as well, was the DacMini you listened to 1 ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back