CD Ripping
Apr 2, 2008 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
i want to rip some CDs, which program should i use?
does it make a difference in SQ of the ripping?
(i want to rip my files at mp3 320kbps)

thanks
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 62
Use Exact Audio Copy.

Also, don't rip to 320kbps. Rip to LAME's V0 setting. It's a variable bitrate setting that averages around 270-280. Much smaller than a constant 320kbps file and sounds the same. Arguably even lower bitrates also sound the same, but that's a different matter. Ripping to 320 is just silly.

In any case, for information, see this incredibly useful link: Jiggafellz' guid to ripping with EAC

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 62
Me too.
biggrin.gif
EAC rules for ripping to flac.

Thanks for the link to the guide monolith.

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use Exact Audio Copy.

Also, don't rip to 320kbps. Rip to LAME's V0 setting. It's a variable bitrate setting that averages around 270-280. Much smaller than a constant 320kbps file and sounds the same. Arguably even lower bitrates also sound the same, but that's a different matter. Ripping to 320 is just silly.

In any case, for information, see this incredibly useful link: Jiggafellz' guid to ripping with EAC

thank you very much! i'll do that.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 62
I highly recommend Max.
With the obvious choice of LAME and CBR 320kbps (since you want MP3 files).

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 62
EAC all the way. Awesome sw.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 62
The latest version of EAC has a setup wizasrd that makes it a breeze to get up and running quickly. Other apps you might want to look at include Audiograbber - ripper only, pretty fast - and MediaMonkey - complete media manager and ripper. Both are also free.

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 62
EAC or the most recent version of CDex in Paranoia Mode.

Both are excellent.
LAME as an external MP3 compressor program.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 62
DO you guys rip your cd's, then put the Files into itunes or whatever? or do you rip your cd's in itunes? (if you have an ipod)

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm now ripping with EAC with the help of the guide that monolith gave, it's great!
i ripped my songs at V0 LAME VBR (192 KBPS). is it good?

V0 VBR overrides the manual setting of 192...at V0 you're getting the best possible encoding quality from your rips.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DO you guys rip your cd's, then put the Files into itunes or whatever? or do you rip your cd's in itunes? (if you have an ipod)

Back when I still had an ipod, I ripped with EAC, and then put the music into itunes. didn't trust the iTunes ripper back then. Don't know if it has improved now.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 62
I think Dbpoweramp is more user friendly for both .mp3's and .wav files. It's just as accurate, catalogues rips via pc more conviently by default, and does a better job in tagging each song w/ all the additional information - including album art.

You don't need any side programs working in conjuction to process a proper rip through Dbpoweramp. EAC does, for the little things such as album art, etc...

However, if you plan to tinker with, (or examine) the original song file in detail, as well archiving log files - EAC is way beyond any other program, including DB. Plus, the program is 100% free, no additional charges in fully experiencing the limits of the program.

Personally, I use DBpoweramp, (converting/ripping/organizing/tagging .mp3 and .wav on the fly) EAC (for testing off discs/recording individual .txt files) Mediamonkey, (encoding .flac) and Winamp v5.53 for comp. play back purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back