CD Ripping
Apr 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #31 of 62
what would be the difference between ripping apple lossless with EAC compared to Itunes?

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #32 of 62
Use iTunes with secure ripping if you want Apple Lossless and are using iTunes to manage your music. EAC has better error reporting but otherwise the result will be the same so there's no point making extra work for yourself.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #33 of 62
I think the best way to go is with DBPowerAmp. Rip to FLAC and make sure you get an accurate rip. As others have noted, DBPowerAmp handles all the details including dynamic folder generation and tagging.

I rip to FLAC for use with Foobar and my Squeezebox (and archiving--this is my second time ripping the CD collection and will be the LAST). Then I convert to 320 kbps MP3 files for use on my 5.5 gen iPod.

EAC with AutoFlac is good too, and it's ideal for dealing with damaged discs that DB can't handle. However, I find its file naming conventions confusing, and tend to only use the program for troubleshooting.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use iTunes with secure ripping if you want Apple Lossless and are using iTunes to manage your music. EAC has better error reporting but otherwise the result will be the same so there's no point making extra work for yourself.

X2--if you're using the ease of Itunes, use their Lossless. Why complicate things??

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2--if you're using the ease of Itunes, use their Lossless. Why complicate things??

how do you enable secure ripping? All i have the option for is Apple Lossless with Automatic, Thats all it will let me select.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would be the difference between ripping apple lossless with EAC compared to Itunes?

This confuses 2 separate steps of the process -- ripping and encoding. The confusion is understandable, as most software packages do both without requiring user intervention in the middle of the processes. But it's important to bear in mind that they are different because what EAC and dbpoweramp excel at (and itunes does not, as far as I know) is ensuring a secure rip.

Getting your musing encoded to ALAC (Apple lossless) is a bit more complicated, as I understand there are some issues with the reverse-engineered ALAC codecs used by dbpoweramp (I'm not sure if ALAC is an option with EAC). Read up on the workarounds at the dbpoweramp forums if you want to go that route. Or, as Solan suggested on the previous page, use a 2-step process: rip to wav using EAC or dbpoweramp, then let itunes convert the wav files to alac.

Another nice thing about EAC or dbpoweramp is that you can set it to encode 2 versions automatically after ripping -- one lossless and one lossy, or one FLAC and one ALAC, or whatever (you may be able to do more than 2 -- I haven't investigated that).

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

how do you enable secure ripping? All i have the option for is Apple Lossless with Automatic, Thats all it will let me select.

Secure ripping is located at the top of the screen under Options - Ripping Method.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This confuses 2 separate steps of the process -- ripping and encoding. The confusion is understandable, as most software packages do both without requiring user intervention in the middle of the processes. But it's important to bear in mind that they are different because what EAC and dbpoweramp excel at (and itunes does not, as far as I know) is ensuring a secure rip.

Getting your musing encoded to ALAC (Apple lossless) is a bit more complicated, as I understand there are some issues with the reverse-engineered ALAC codecs used by dbpoweramp (I'm not sure if ALAC is an option with EAC). Read up on the workarounds at the dbpoweramp forums if you want to go that route. Or, as Solan suggested on the previous page, use a 2-step process: rip to wav using EAC or dbpoweramp, then let itunes convert the wav files to alac.

Another nice thing about EAC or dbpoweramp is that you can set it to encode 2 versions automatically after ripping -- one lossless and one lossy, or one FLAC and one ALAC, or whatever (you may be able to do more than 2 -- I haven't investigated that).

Im not going to go through the hasstle. I will just use Apple lossless in Itunes I think for me. Can i convert Apple lossless to FLAC?

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #39 of 62
For my 3G iPod nano, I rip my CD collection at 192 kbps VBR data rate AAC. This gives the best balance between decent sound quality and decent file compression to fit more music into the iPod.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #40 of 62
Regarding SQ, (in theory) all lossless files should transcode over accordingly w/ zero difference in play back. What you don't ever want to do, is encode from lossless over too lossy (.wav - .mp3's for example) because the compression process permenantly discards all that's lost.

Additional information however, (tags) I'm not so sure. Each codec uses its own in organizing embedded song data, and suffice to say, some programs just arn't real efficient in converting the two appropriatety. If you use DBpoweramp though you'll probably be fine, regardless to what is used since this particular program makes tagging a breeze.

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #41 of 62
well i am wondering all this because I am about to borrow about 20 cd's from a friend of mine, and this will be my only chance to make a backup of them. So i can either burn Apple Lossless in itunes, or burn apple lossless then make a backup FLAC copy with EAC or DBpoweramp. What can I do with the FLAC file in the future?

Is their a codec I can get for itunes or something to have it play FLAC? i know it sounds stupid. I just don't like roxbox...

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the point of using lame and ripping cbr? v0,v1,and v2 offer essentially the same quality in a smaller package and are way above transparency.

Because the OP want 320Kbps files (meaning CBR, not VBR files). V0, V1 and V2 don't output 320Kbps files...
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

DO you guys rip your cd's, then put the Files into itunes or whatever? or do you rip your cd's in itunes? (if you have an ipod)

I rip my CD's using Max, then manually add them to the iTunes library.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #44 of 62
With flac you can convert your collection to any format you want at any time in the future. Since it's a free, non-proprietary, open source format, there are and likely always will be tons of free software to work with flac files.

I can't stand itunes so have no experience with apple lossless, but you should be able to do pretty much the same with it. However, since it is a commercial, proprietary format, your software options for working with it down the road may be limited.

Also, keep in mind most people don't use lossless on their portable devices, so not wanting to use rockbox is likely a moot point. Typically you would convert to mp3 or ogg or whatnot for that.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the OP want 320Kbps files (meaning CBR, not VBR files). V0, V1 and V2 don't output 320Kbps files...
wink.gif

didn't know the V0 Lame exists.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back