CD Ripping
Apr 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend Max.
With the obvious choice of LAME and CBR 320kbps (since you want MP3 files).

what is the point of using lame and ripping cbr? v0,v1,and v2 offer essentially the same quality in a smaller package and are way above transparency.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 62
I also like dbpoweramp (I paid the small fee for the pro version). I rip my CDs to FLAC then use the batch converter to create a separate set of files in LAME V0, which I import to itunes. FLAC files are for archival purposes, and for listening on my computer as source. The program is MUCH easier to use (for me) than EAC, and I am confident that its error-correction capabilities give me secure rips, at a throughput that is a good compromise between speed and secure error-free confidence. I do find some scratched discs can't be ripped with dbpoweramp, and I use EAC for those, with good success.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 62
what program is easy to use so I can rip files for Itunes at 320kbs/second?

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 62
As cheap as disk space is these days, I can't see any reason not to rip to flac so you have a lossless 1:1 master copy of every CD. Box up your original CDs for safe keeping, but you should never need to re-rip a CD again. Ever. Encode (or is it transcode?) from the flac source files to whatever you like for your portable if need be, of course.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #21 of 62
Ok your right^ good point.

EAC is too complicated with all of its settings and what not.

Well i want to Rip to FLAC, but I want to be able to use files in Itunes. What is my best option? Apple Lossless will work right? I am currently ripping files into itunes with apple lossless. any disadvantages / other options?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok your right^ good point.

EAC is too complicated with all of its settings and what not.

WHat is an easier program to use to rip FLAC files?

I would say pay the extra bit of cash so you can access the .flac through DBpoweramp. This way you can handle all the essentials within ONE program, in as well as save yourself a few extra steps. Or, you can go grab the free version of Mediamonkey in addition to DB. Rip the .wav's from DB, and instead of messing w/ all the folder tags once more through Mediamonkey, (should this all be in bulk) just copy your original folders (subfolders and actual music files included) and temporarly store them elsewhere as duplicates. Then, through media monkey access those copied files and just change the setting to replace rather than mess w/ a whole new destination via options when making the converstion over to .flac. This way, ALL of your addtional side information (tags) will transcode over w/ no interference. Plus, you don't have to worry about re-working any of the sub folders or the file names themselves. As for your album art, just copy the originals and add them w/ the second set of files.

Personally, I don't have any real use for .flac. There's only a hand full of DAP's in which support it right now. .wav (PCM) is the ONLY thing I use because it's the most supported lossless format, even though it's roughly twice the size. For me, there's just absolutely no good reason to switch back and forth between two codecs - truely pointless..

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 62
with rockbox quite a few more players support flac. Mine does natively so I don't care though
wink.gif
But I rarely use lossless on the portable personally unless I am in a hurry and just want to throw a few albums on it without transcoding to ogg or mp3. For me lossless is primarily for archival/master backup purposes, and saving some space is always good.

Elluzion, I'm a linux user and kinda out of the loop on windows apps for this stuff, but I have used EAC. Although the settings are a bit daunting at first, it doesn't take long at all to configure and you have tons of flexibility. Just take the time to set it up once and you are good to go.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say pay the extra bit of cash so you can access the .flac through DBpoweramp. This way you can handle all the essentials within ONE program, in as well as save yourself a few extra steps. Or, you can go grab the free version of Mediamonkey in addition to DB. Rip the .wav's from DB, and instead of messing w/ all the folder tags once more through Mediamonkey, (should this all be in bulk) just copy your original folders (subfolders and actual music files included) and temporarly store them elsewhere as duplicates. Then, through media monkey access those copied files and just change the setting to replace rather than mess w/ a whole new destination via options when making the converstion over to .flac. This way, ALL of your addtional side information (tags) will transcode over w/ no interference. Plus, you don't have to worry about re-working any of the sub folders or the file names themselves. As for your album art, just copy the originals and add them w/ the second set of files.

Personally, I don't have any real use for .flac. There's only a hand full of DAP's in which support it right now. .wav (PCM) is the ONLY thing I use because it's the most supported lossless format, even though it's roughly twice the size. For me, there's just absolutely no good reason to switch back and forth between two codecs - true only pointless..

I downloaded Dbpoweramp and it will let me rip .FLAC files, but then i can't use them in Itunes on my ipod. Do i have to convert the .FLAC file to .mp3 or something? is it worth all this hastle or should I just use Apple Lossles?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

I downloaded Dbpoweramp and it will let me rip .FLAC files, but then i can't use them in Itunes on my ipod. Do i have to convert the .FLAC file to .mp3 or something? is it worth all this hastle or should I just use Apple Lossles?

You need an additional program to run .flac I believe on an Ipod, such as Rockbox.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

You need an additional program to run .flac I believe on an Ipod, such as Rockbox.

i realize that. but I just want to use Apples ipod software. I don't like Rockbox personally. The only lossless I can use with Apple is apple lossless. Is apple lossless ok to use in the long run to backup CD files?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

i realize that. but I just want to use Apples ipod software. I don't like Rockbox personally. The only lossless I can use with Apple is apple lossless. Is apple lossless ok to use in the long run to backup CD files?

Yeah, I don't care to use additional programs either...

In response to your question...

I can't speak out of experience w/ .alac. Text book however, it's no different in quality, for they're both respectfully lossless. DRM can be applied if someone chooses, and it shares the same end extention as the .aac codec. However, sq wise I think you're fine.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Yeah, I don't care to use additional programs either...

In response to your question...

I can't speak out of experience w/ .alac. Text book however, it's no different in quality, for they're both respectfully lossless. DRM can be applied if someone chooses, and it shares the same end extention as the .aac codec. However, sq wise I think you're fine.

Thanks. Yeah I will probably own ipods for a while. Apple lossless will work for me. don't need FLAC

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #29 of 62
I strongly recommend EAC with the jiggafellz guide. Rip to WAV, if you want. But EAC is the best ripper, hands-down and period. And that's coming from me who is prererrably a Mac user.

Then, but only then, use iTunes or Max to convert to the format of your choice, like .alac. The conversion goes fastest if you ripped to .wav in EAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back