CD Ripping
Apr 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i am wondering all this because I am about to borrow about 20 cd's from a friend of mine, and this will be my only chance to make a backup of them. So i can either burn Apple Lossless in itunes, or burn apple lossless then make a backup FLAC copy with EAC or DBpoweramp. What can I do with the FLAC file in the future?

Is their a codec I can get for itunes or something to have it play FLAC? i know it sounds stupid. I just don't like roxbox...

Why are you in need of compressed lossless exactly? Is storage space for you that much of a concern?

I agree w/ the whole rockbox thing, I personally hate hacking/adding in additional outside programs in conjuction to any device. The mechanics of the interface is always in some small way affected.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you in need of compressed lossless exactly? Is storage space for you that much of a concern?

I agree w/ the whole rockbox thing, I personally hate hacking/adding in additional outside programs in conjuction to any device. The mechanics of the interface is always in some small way affected.

I dont want compressed lossless. I just want lossless on my portable player/ laptop. No i have no concern for storage space

Can you rip any file type from FLAC/Apple Lossless?

ugg I am still having trouble deciding what to do

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

I dont want compressed lossless. I just want lossless on my portable player/ laptop. No i have no concern for storage space

ugg I am still having trouble deciding what to do

If I understand correctly, you want to play lossless in iTunes and on your iPod? And you don't want to use Rockbox? Just rip from CD's in iTunes (with secure rip) to ALAC.

I can't comment on how secure iTunes ripping is. I do this:

CD ---> FLAC w/ EAC ---> WMA lossless w/ dbPowerAmp ---> ALAC w/ iTunes

My iPod doesn't like ALAC files encoded with dbPA, hence the extra step with the WMA lossless.

ALAC is perfectly fine for archiving and playback. The fact that it's proprietary is largely irrelevant, you can convert them to any other file type anytime you want anyway.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Well, lossless are compressed.
Since you don't want compression you're only choice are PCM in a WAV or AIFF container.

Quote:

You mean convert into another codec?
If so, then yes you can. They can be converted into any audio codec/format, just as you can with the source audio CD.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lossless are compressed.
Since you don't want compression you're only choice are PCM in a WAV or AIFF container.

You mean convert into another codec?
If so, then yes you can. They can be converted into any audio codec/format, just as you can with the source audio CD.

lossless are 24mb per song. how are they compressed.

lossless means their is no quality Lost. mp3/wav compresses files. Now im confused...

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #51 of 62
Wav is uncompressed lossless. Mp3 is compressed lossy. FLAC is compressed lossless.

I'd use FLAC. You can't tag WAV files, so whenever you batch convert in the future you'll need to tag every single album yourself. A huge pain that you can avoid by using FLAC.

Don't worry, just because FLAC files are "compressed" doesn't mean they are any different than WAV. They will be exactly the same when played back.

I'd fill up my 500 gig storage drive so fast with all WAV files.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wav is uncompressed lossless. Mp3 is compressed lossy. FLAC is compressed lossless.

I'd use FLAC. You can't tag WAV files, so whenever you batch convert in the future you'll need to tag every single album yourself. A huge pain that you can avoid by using FLAC.

Don't worry, just because FLAC files are "compressed" doesn't mean they are any different than WAV. They will be exactly the same when played back.

Oh ok I see. Yeah i'll just use Itunes Apple lossless ripper. good enough for me
biggrin.gif

so u can convert FLAC to any file format? (ex: mp3, wav) but you can't do that with apple lossless?

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #53 of 62
On the topic of CD ripping, i'm using EAC to rip my CD's to ALAC, but the slight glitch is my ALAC files are in sample size: 16bit and sample rate: 44.1kHz. Is there a command line or setting i can change in EAC/iTunes to get 24bit and 48kHz?

(my current compression settings are from ultimate EAC pack r14)

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #54 of 62
I rip my CD's with iTunes + Apple Lossless. It's quite good.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Oh ok I see. Yeah i'll just use Itunes Apple lossless ripper. good enough for me
biggrin.gif

so u can convert FLAC to any file format? (ex: mp3, wav) but you can't do that with apple lossless?

You can convert ALAC to any file format as well.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, the RIFF chunk found in .wav's can be tagged by some programs. I think Dbpoweramp is one of them. All of my .wav's are marked w/ all the additional information. The only thing they won't hold, is album art within the file itself. But, since DMC extracts the art and stores it along w/ each album, programs like Winamp v5.53 will locate it and show it as if it were. This is why I don't primarly rip from EAC, for their tagging and album art lack behind.

So basically, the ONLY thing I give up when using .wav's, is 40 - 60% more space, being how they're fully uncompressed in matching PCM/Red Book identically.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

FLAC and ALAC (apple lossless) both convert over to any other lossless file just fine. They will encode to a lossy format as well, but will not retain the same in SQ, nor will any lossless file for that matter. Lossy formats will convert over, but you have to do so through the same bit-rate. And, they most certainly won't do so correctly in trying to encode them back up to lossless. What has once been removed, is forever permenant. There's no way to mathematically reverse the damage done to the file.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #57 of 62
^ok thanks for the info guys. I will stick with ALAC and itunes
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

lossless are 24mb per song. how are they compressed.

lossless means their is no quality Lost. mp3/wav compresses files. Now im confused...

Lossless (FLAC, Apple Lossless, WavPack, ...) are compressed, but contains all the original data. Just like Zip, Rar, ...

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

lossless are 24mb per song. how are they compressed?

Lossless compression (.flac and ALAC, for example) will ALWAYS be larger in size when compared w/ lossy compression. (.mp3's)

.wav's (Microsoft) and .aiff's (Apple) are both considered to be uncompressed lossless. These two formats match up identical w/ the likes of PCM/Red Book. (CD-DA) So, these will ALWAYS be much larger by roughly 40 - 60% in size, over compressed lossless. And, more like 80 - 90% over lossy compression.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #60 of 62
^thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back