Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 29, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #4,291 of 5,538
Hi guys,
Different question:
I compared the N8ii with Holo Spring3 KTE and Ferrum stack against the idap6. The N8ii sounds fantastic as a streamer with USB and especially with i2s. Better than the idap6 to my ears.
I'm only using Qobuz, which I currently prefer over Tidal.
2 problems:
- the N8ii can't charge, while playing
- the i2s connection is really short, so the N8ii needs to be close to the Holo

So, given this fact, is there any app, which can be used to control the N8ii or qobuz with my android or IOS phone.

As I'm usually not listening for hours, so I can manage the charging topic.
But the remote function for qobuz is very important as I use a 1,5m headphone cable.

Thanks for any hints!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,292 of 5,538
Hi guys,
Different question:
I compared the N8ii with Holo Spring3 KTE and Ferrum stack against the idap6. The N8ii sounds fantastic as a streamer with USB and especially with i2s. Better than the idap6 to my ears.
I'm only using Qobuz, which I currently prefer over Tidal.
2 problems:
- the N8ii can't charge, while playing
- the i2s connection is really short, so the N8ii needs to be close to the Holo

So, given this fact, is there any app, which can be used to control the N8ii or qobuz with my android or IOS phone.

As I'm usually not listening for hours, so I can manage the charging topic.
But the remote function for qobuz is very important as I use a 1,5m headphone cable.

Thanks for any hints!!!!

1656491247973.png

Wow, this is something we didn't design into our product, and we didn't expect the result (sound better than our desktop digital transport) either.

You can remote control N8ii through HiByLink, this is an embedded resource sharing protocol in HiBy Music App on your mobile phone, Android or iOS. This will cover the local music library (on internal storage, SD card, and OTG storage) and the Tidal streaming service which HiBy Music App has incorporated. Unfortunately, HiBy music player App does not incorporate any gateway to the Qobuz streaming service, so your request is not feasible through HiByLink.

So unless you can switch to Tidal, otherwise I can't figure out a solution to achieve that.

By the way, have you compared local music playback instead of streaming on N8ii vs iDAP-6? How do you playback Qobuz through iDAP-6? through DLNA?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #4,293 of 5,538

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,294 of 5,538
@Andykong how well implemented is the n8ii for pc dac use ? Specifically does it still suffer from latency issues like older dacs for real time use Ex:Videos/gaming ??

I don't think any Asynchronous USB DAC can provide perfect audio/video alignment unless your console has a lip-sync feature that allows you to fine-tune the timing of synchronization. IMO, this is not a matter of how well the USB DAC is implemented. this is what Asynchronous USB was designed to achieve: to a-synchronise, to isolate the digital source from DAC by adding a buffer deliberately. You can reduce the buffer size to narrow down the time difference, it might e acceptable for MTV or Youtube applications, but if you want to use it for gaming, I am not optimistic.

For more information regarding the latency and lip-syn problem of USB DAC, please check our previous discussion HERE.

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #4,295 of 5,538
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #4,296 of 5,538

Wow, this is something we didn't design into our product, and we didn't expect the result (sound better than our desktop digital transport) either.

You can remote control N8ii through HiByLink, this is an embedded resource sharing protocol in HiBy Music App on your mobile phone, Android or iOS. This will cover the local music library (on internal storage, SD card, and OTG storage) and the Tidal streaming service which HiBy Music App has incorporated. Unfortunately, HiBy music player App does not incorporate any gateway to the Qobuz streaming service, so your request is not feasible through HiByLink.

So unless you can switch to Tidal, otherwise I can't figure out a solution to achieve that.

By the way, have you compared local music playback instead of streaming on N8ii vs iDAP-6? How do you playback Qobuz through iDAP-6? through DLNA?
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your quick reply.
The trigger of my question was exactly, that the hibylink does not support qobuz (what is a pity).
For the iDAP-6, I used bubbleupnp (not comfortable) and mconnect (slightly better, but also not as good as the N8ii from a UX perspective).
And that's exactly the point. Connecting the fully equipped N8ii makes it so easy.. and sounds great.
And btw there are not many streamers / DAPs which support USB and I2s in parallel.
To my ears, the USB connection with the Holo sounds more precise, but the I2s connection is more musical, fluid, "richer sound"..

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #4,298 of 5,538
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your quick reply.
The trigger of my question was exactly, that the hibylink does not support qobuz (what is a pity).
For the iDAP-6, I used bubbleupnp (not comfortable) and mconnect (slightly better, but also not as good as the N8ii from a UX perspective).
And that's exactly the point. Connecting the fully equipped N8ii makes it so easy.. and sounds great.
And btw there are not many streamers / DAPs which support USB and I2s in parallel.
To my ears, the USB connection with the Holo sounds more precise, but the I2s connection is more musical, fluid, "richer sound"..

The problem is, Qobuz is not available in Hong Kong, China, and most parts of Asia. Until Qobuz is widely available in Asia countries. product integration will be very difficult, or unlikely, for Asian-based manufacturers. This is an inevitable disadvantage.

So you are comparing iDAP-6 via DLNA vs native application installed on N8ii, maybe this explained the sonic (and user experience) advantage of N8ii. DLNA is a compromise when compared to native applications.

I2S carries clock signal and is the connection method that introduces less jitter. that's why it sounds more musical and fluid to you.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #4,300 of 5,538
Hi, my N8ii just suddenly froze and just showing blue screen. I tried to charge it using one of my chargers and it showed slow charging, i took the charger out to change then it just froze. Any idea what happened and how to fix this?
A3BF6BAE-92FA-42E2-ACAB-B706FA3DDF47.jpeg

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #4,302 of 5,538
Hi, my N8ii just suddenly froze and just showing blue screen. I tried to charge it using one of my chargers and it showed slow charging, i took the charger out to change then it just froze. Any idea what happened and how to fix this? A3BF6BAE-92FA-42E2-ACAB-B706FA3DDF47.jpeg

Can you force the N8ii to close down by holding the On/Off button for 15/20 seconds?

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #4,304 of 5,538
sister company will have something new
FB_IMG_1656511523511.jpg

Cayin Audio is a stated own enterprise, I am sure HiBy wouldn't want to be a sister company of Cayin. :ksc75smile:

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,305 of 5,538
Things have been hectic with work and late to the firmware update party. Enjoying 16bit MQA sounds and indicator light, LOL - it's the little things that I love about Cayin and N8ii.

IMG_5414.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back