Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #1,756 of 3,873
The BB version is 5g heavier then the SS version. So to simplified the packaging and custom handling, we have adjusted the specification of N8 to 380g +/- 10g and this will work for both SS and BB versions.
So , the BB is for the stronger men and the SS is better suited for the other kind of men or women ?

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,757 of 3,873
Hi, Andykong.
I'm really happy with the N8 DAP but some FW issues are annoying for me. You can put them to Product Backlog and discuss with your team)
1. It's cool to have quick access to the System/Music Settings by gesture up from bottom, but how often do you need to change smth? And by this feature I have got narrower area to scroll lists (of songs, albums, etc.) without pulling up settings menu.
2. Back button icon has small tapping area and need more accuracy. It would be great to enlarge it without increasing icon size.

The pull up menu is not exclusively for System and Music setup in our design, we are cooking something to enhance the operation and this will share the same pull-up menu location as well, will keep the group informed when the implementation is ready.

@CayinSupport please record item 2 for further firmware enhancement. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,758 of 3,873
Looks nice but what is it that makes it cost $199?

The 3 metal spacers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Indeed, Dignis has custom make the metal guard for N8, given the small quantity hand-made nature of Dignis production, custom make components like this carrys a fairly significant overhead.

In addition, we were told that Dignis selected premium grade material for the N8 leather case. VERA PELLE certified cow leather from French and vegetable tanned in Conceria, one of the most highly regarded leather house in Italy. I don't pretend to know all these, but I have consulted my lady friends and they confirmed VERA PELLE means a lot. Maybe someone can consult his wife about this ..... I definitely don't have the guts to do that because I don't want to alert my wife about the "potential" value of the N8. Someone just mentioned AWS: Angry Wife Syndrome, right? :wink:

201904080636023682.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,759 of 3,873
Looks awesome but no blue for sale? One thing that I am concerned is that this case will make the player wider on the width.

Dignis confirmed that only three colors will be available for the moment.

Trust me, the brown is wonderful. I personally think it brings the N8 look-and-feel to a different level, and I expect it even looks better after extensive use.

The case enclosed the two control dial completely, so it will increase the width by 4mm when compare to the Cayin leather case.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #1,760 of 3,873
Will the black n8 be the same price as the silver one? I want to get one of these. Can't resist much longer

Me too but unfortunately it will be £300 more £2899 vs £2599, eye watering :/

The retail price of N8 Brass Black is US$400 more then the regular Stainless Steel version. This is because:
  1. US$199 Dignis leather case bundled
  2. Brass chassis has a lower yield when compare to Stainless Steel chassis, it is softer and prone to scratch or imperfect machine cut during CNC
  3. Telfon coating is a lot more expensive than PVD coating of the regular Stainless Steel version.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,761 of 3,873
Awesome, so i have to ask if you can please do a comparison between z1r vs ex1000 on the n8.

Hi 21qz,

Here is a concise comparison of the EX1000 and Z1R with the N8, on Nevermid (Remastered) 24/96 FLAC, Smells Like Teen Spirit / Nirvana... in memory to a Great Artist, Kurt Cobain "KC" (R.I.P.).

Volume on both the IEMs was set on 38 (Impedance and Sensitivity of the 2 IEMs are similar 32 ohms and 108 dB for the EX1000 and 40 ohms and 103 dB for the Z1R) , in quiet environment using the 3.5 solid state output with original cables and silicone ear tips.

This is a simple structured track, drum set, bass and guitar played by KC with consistent tune throughout the track, with his voice taking center stage.

Tonality:
Into few seconds of the track guitar notes, you will quickly realise that the Z1R are warmer and laid back compared to the brighter signature of the EX1000.

Stage dimension and imaging:
Then comes the realisation that, instruments and vocals are placed closer to you with the EX1000 lacking in instrument separation from depth perspective, while the Z1R pairing with the N8 gives you a greater depth perception making it easier to identify instruments positioning.

Using the pre-chorus "hello, hello, hello, how low" and the guitar solo from 2:53 to 3:33 to perceive the imaging, height and width of the stage. The height of the EX1000 is perceived to be taller while the width is similar, however, due to the above mentioned stage depth the the pre-chorus and guitar solo moves across the spectrum from left to right more effortlessly giving better imaging on the Z1R.

Bass:

The drums hits throughout the track sound punchier and tighter on the EX1000, on the other hand the Z1R presents it with more weight and slightly more natural notes decay.

Mids - Kurt Cobain's vocals:

The mids on the Z1R are noticeably more recessed coupled with the warmer laid-back tonality, the vocals sound less clear than on the EX1000.

Treble:

At the end of the track, when KC shouts and repeats "A Denial", in the background it is accompanied by cymbals hits, on the EX1000 it sounds splashy while on the Z1R it sounds smoother and better defined.

Final thoughts:

It is clear that EX1000 and Z1R are 2 different IEMs, on this track, the EX1000 portrays the energy of the music better than the Z1R with more upfront presentation and brighter tonality thanks to the N8 single ended solid state neutral tonality and dynamic mids. On the other hand, the N8 single ended solid state paired with the Z1R gives a really impressive combination in terms of stage dimension and imaging, "concert hall" like experience.

The above is pretty consistent with the more detailed comparison impressions in the following post #1689: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-new-flagship.886120/page-113

Cheers

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #1,762 of 3,873
3 hours of on the go with the N8 in my pocket. 29 c, its a hot and humid journey.

20190409_145854.jpg

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #1,763 of 3,873
Walked up a steep hill in Chai Wan, 15 minutes steep climb. Had to change my soaked shirt before going into work.
20190409_154416.jpg

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,764 of 3,873
Walked up a steep hill in Chai Wan, 15 minutes steep climb. Had to change my soaked shirt before going into work

Same tropical weather here, just worst. 32-34C with 80-90% humidity. My underpants is wet just by waking up the stair in aircon’ed metro.

P.S: How you manage with those closed headphone? I sweat just by looking at it.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #1,765 of 3,873
Same tropical weather here, just worst. 32-34C with 80-90% humidity. My underpants is wet just by waking up the stair in aircon’ed metro.

P.S: How you manage with those closed headphone? I sweat just by looking at it.
I always sweat, so after using I wipe pads dry, wipe my hair..

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,767 of 3,873
Have experience with full size open headphones (Senn, ATH, Shure, Beyer, etc), sweated through them all and not able to concentrate on the music. In aircon environment. I really applaud you!
One for each day.
20190326_184410.jpg

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,769 of 3,873
Just noticed you have EAMT1A in your repertoire too. They sound great in tube mode.
It did, so did the JVC 10000 , and the TH900.

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,770 of 3,873
Selling my N8 to upgrade to the BB version. Follow my signature or the FS section for a good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back