Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #1,771 of 3,873
Announcement of Cayin N8 firmware v2.3

This is a firmware focused on enhancing the output options available to N8 users. With the improved connectivity as well as the ability to manipulate the sound signature, the N8 is evolved into a more adaptive audio center for portable and home audio applications.

N8 firmware v2.3 Header Photo.jpg

Firmware explained: https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13571

If you are familiar with N8 firmware update procedure, you can download the package from Google Drive here.

OTA update will start tomorrow.

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Add new Line out adjustment feature, enable user to fine tune the output level of Line Out to facilitate better matching of portable and desktop amplifiers.
    • At LO_LdB setting, 3.5 line out level is 1.0V, 4.4 line out level is 2.0V
    • At LO_MdB setting, 3.5 line out level is 1.5V, 4.4 line out level is 3.2V
    • At LO_HdB setting, 3.5 line out level is 2.0V, 4.4 line out level is 4.3V
  2. Add new pop-up warning notice when user changes 4.4mm Balanced Output setting (at pull down menu) from Phone Out to Line out.
  3. Enhanced PCM Digital Filter in Music Setting to 6 user selectable options (only 2 previously)
  4. Add new SDS Digital Filter option in Music Setting with 2 user-selectable options
  5. Bug fixed: click at the Home button at Playback list will not go to Playback interface occasionally.
  6. Other Bug fix and optimizations
Firmware upgrades procedure

Cayin will release firmware upgrade to enhance and optimize N8 as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.

Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 50% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Option 1: Local Upgrade Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware upgrade package from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). We have provided two download links, you can either download the package from our website or through our Google Drive.
  2. You should receive a compressed document N8 firmware XXXX.zip, decompress the zip file and extract the N8 firmware file (u8.upt)
  3. Copy N8 firmware file into the root directory of N8 internal memory or TF card, insert the TF card into N8 before you proceed to next step.
  4. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “update via micro SD card”. You will be asked to confirm your selection, select OK to proceed.
  5. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  6. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Option 2: OTA Upgrade Procedure
  1. Connect N8 to an Internet ready WiFi connection
  2. Make sure your N8 internal memory has at least 100MB available storage
  3. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “OTA upgrade”. The player will detect if there is a new firmware available.
  4. If a new firmware is available, the player will display “Found new firmware XXX” at the top of the screen, select Download to proceed.
  5. At the end of the download process, the system will prompt you to confirm “Update firmware now?” Selecting “OK ” to proceed.
  6. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  7. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Attention
  • N8 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please scan your Music Library again after firmware upgrade
  • If N8 is in charging status, the player will not reboot to main menu after firmware upgrade. It will stop at the battery charging page, you need to disconnect the USB charger to complete the firmware upgrade process.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,774 of 3,873
@Andykong

Possible to add option to increase/change the tube idle time?
Why would you want to change it? I am assuming they Cayin is using what is correct to use the tube without damaging it. Tks.

I think that is because some people say Tubes needs hours to warm up...that is a myth. I have worked on amplifiers and other stuff, and it isnt the tubes that need warmup, but rather it is your Mosfet or Fet ... Even resistors and especially Crystal oscilliators.

So, I agreed that Cayin knows their stuff. Though it is still interesting to see more requests being inputted

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,775 of 3,873
@Andykong Did Cayin consider my previous request that when using the N8 in DAC mode, that charging over USB can be disabled. This allows connection to iPhones for streaming from Qobuz etc. Otherwise the iPhone complains that there is too much power consumption over USB and prevents the connection. The Sony WM1Z/A has this option in DAC mode so that it doesn't try and charge itself at the same time.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,776 of 3,873
I think that is because some people say Tubes needs hours to warm up...that is a myth. I have worked on amplifiers and other stuff, and it isnt the tubes that need warmup, but rather it is your Mosfet or Fet ... Even resistors and especially Crystal oscilliators.

So, I agreed that Cayin knows their stuff. Though it is still interesting to see more requests being inputted

Not for that reason. My usage sometimes requires me to pause the playback momentarily and usually end up just crossing the tube shut-off time and unable to resume playback without the 5-Sec warm up interruption.

Any control over the tube auto shut-off is welcome. Understand there’s constraint primarily over tube lifespan and not ideal to keep it on constantly when it’s activated.

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,780 of 3,873
What does it mean digital filters?

Haven’t update my unit but my guess it’s the standard AK4497 digital filters. I hardly notice any major different between these filters on other DAPs thus not really excited to update yet.

32-bit 8x Digital Filter
- ShortDelaySharpRoll-off,GD=6.0/fs, Ripple: 0.005dB, Attenuation: 100dB
- ShortDelaySlowRoll-off,GD=5.0/fs - SharpRoll-off
- SlowRoll-off
- Low-dispersionShortDelayFilter
- SuperSlowRoll-off

Shanling M0 with Sabre 9218 in your possession also have similar filters.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #1,781 of 3,873
DSC02156.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

Each filter is different in sound.

These filters are function of AKM4497EQ.
Explanation in AKM homepage.

1554562740325.png

It is said,in the AKM's chart, In upper filter, the sound image comes closer. And using lower filter, the sound image goes away.
Caution: The arrangement of filters in AKM's chart is different from Cayin N8's menu.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,783 of 3,873

Each filter is different in sound.

These filters are function of AKM4497EQ.
Explanation in AKM homepage.

It is said, In upper filter, the sound image comes closer. And using lower filter, the sound
image goes away.

N8 looks like an interesting toy to get and play around with sounds of your choices. Nice!

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,784 of 3,873
Dang! I couldn’t stand the heat around my ears (sweat like a pig) with those over ear headphones in the humid weather (region) like yours. Hence, I like very much the CIEMs. :wink:
Ha, yeah I had over 15 ciems. Now Im sticking to these. Ciems I had sweat drip inside them while walking and chewing gum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back