Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 22, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #436 of 3,873
very interesting which products will become the first AK4493 DAP. I read many positive reviews from DIY guys~

May 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #438 of 3,873
You still keep your N6? N6 is still an unique DAP consider it runs with dual PCM1792 DAC chips in BTL circuit. i
  1. N8 will play SACD-ISO, N6 didn't supply DXD, we should be able to add this into N8 support list.
  2. The tube is completely concealed inside the CNC stainless steel chassis with a small tempered glass window display the LED, we believe it is very safe.
  3. N8 will have enough power to drive the HD800S to very loud level, it should be reasonably fun but definitely not as good as our desktop gears such as the iDAC-6 and iHA-6.
I have tried the Realizer A16 about a year ago, was completely shocked and I probably will take my card out immediately if the A16 is available immediately. I'll definitely give it a try again when the production version is available. :beerchug:
Thanks mate thats is some exciting news indeed

"N8 will have enough power to drive the HD800S to very loud level,"

Very exciting mate and thank you

Can i please ask a further question then ?

My HD800s have a very expensive , full size balanced XLR (1 left , 1 right) on them

Yes its removable/swappable , but i ve learned the hard way , swapping has caused some damage to another very expensive cable , so i don`t want to do that anymore

So ill ask , is there such thing as a quality adapter to step down to the mini balanced cables you have on N8 , and also to the non balanced output on the N8?

"You still keep your N6?"

i may have to flog my N6 to afford the N8 .That all depends on how much it can bring . i will likely ask that question here later , closer to purchase time

Does the N8 not also run in those dual ?

Thanks mate

May 22, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #439 of 3,873

My HD800s have a very expensive , full size balanced XLR (1 left , 1 right) on them

Yes its removable/swappable , but i ve learned the hard way , swapping has caused some damage to another very expensive cable , so i don`t want to do that anymore

So ill ask , is there such thing as a quality adapter to step down to the mini balanced cables you have on N8 , and also to the non balanced output on the N8?

i may have to flog my N6 to afford the N8 .That all depends on how much it can bring . i will likely ask that question here later , closer to purchase time

Thanks mate

Yes,
most of the cable manufactures can build extension so that you can connect your cable to the N8 or any other adapter, to have an idea take a look at plussound, in the Interconnect section, you can order the extension(s) you need.
Of course in order to avoid any change in the sound it would be better to build the extension with the same wires you are using for the headphone cable.

May 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #440 of 3,873
Yes,
most of the cable manufactures can build extension so that you can connect your cable to the N8 or any other adapter, to have an idea take a look at plussound, in the Interconnect section, you can order the extension(s) you need.
Of course in order to avoid any change in the sound it would be better to build the extension with the same wires you are using for the headphone cable.
Thanks mate

May 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #441 of 3,873
Yes,
Again thanks mate

Can you please tell me the exact names/size/types of connections out of the N8 that i would be adapting to my full sized XLRs ?

I hope i explained that correct

If done right , is there a signal loss in this type of thing ?

Cheers

May 22, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #442 of 3,873
Again thanks mate

Can you please tell me the exact names/size/types of connections out of the N8 that i would be adapting to my full sized XLRs ?

I hope i explained that correct

If done right , is there a signal loss in this type of thing ?

Cheers

The N8 has one 4.4mm balance and one 3.5mm SE connector, if it's done in the proper way using quality material there won't be any significace change in the sound and/or signal loss.

May 23, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #444 of 3,873
Well, aren't you going to check out the N8 Engineering sample this weekend at Asia Hotel (北京亚洲大酒店)? I am looking forwards to your impression. :ksc75smile:
I will indeed try to go this weekend, but cannot be 100% as I have family obligations. Is there anywhere in Beijing (like a store) where this demo will stay? Thank you

May 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #446 of 3,873

Thanks mate

N8 runs on dual AK54497, we can't use PCM1792 in N8 because of the limited digital decoding capability.

I assume you are are referring to something like this:

Cardas HD800.jpg

You need a "Dual XLR female to 4.4 male" adapter in order to use headphone cables like this with the balanced headphone output of N8. For the unbalanced output, you need a "Dual XLR female to 3.5mm male" adapter. These are not commonly available adapters, you probably need to custom make them somehow.

Be reminded that the N8 is designed primarily for portable application, handling high impedance headphone such as HD800 is not a priority requirements, so I won't recommend N8 to HD800 or HD800S users until I get to audition this combination seriously, but getting the right cable for this audition can be tricky,

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 23, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #447 of 3,873
I will indeed try to go this weekend, but cannot be 100% as I have family obligations. Is there anywhere in Beijing (like a store) where this demo will stay? Thank you

We won't leave the N8 behind after the show, these are Engineering samples and we feel reluctant to leave it behind.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 23, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #448 of 3,873
N8 runs on dual AK54497, we can't use PCM1792 in N8 because of the limited digital decoding capability.

You need a "Dual XLR female to 4.4 male" adapter in order to use headphone cables like this with the balanced headphone output of N8. For the unbalanced output, you need a "Dual XLR female to 3.5mm male" adapter. These are not commonly available adapters, you probably need to custom make them somehow.

Be reminded that the N8 is designed primarily for portable application, handling high impedance headphone such as HD800 is not a priority requirements, so I won't recommend N8 to HD800 or HD800S users until I get to audition this combination seriously, but getting the right cable for this audition can be tricky,
Thanks mate

I have been in contact with plussound and it appears we are understanding each other

If so they can make the cables as described

The ones in the pic seem correct if what Im seeing is "Dual XLR female to 4.4 male" adapter"

No way i`ll need all that length tho (Im sure if i can get cable they will allow me a preferred length)

Im not intending to use N8 with HD800s solely , im just thinking id like to give it a go

I have future sonics MG6 pro CIEM for portable listening (Any opinion on that is also welcome)

I`d also like to use those between tube/balanced and not balanced ,so thats why i assumed id need a 3.5mm to mini XLR ?

Thanks for all your continued informed assistance

Cheers

May 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #449 of 3,873

PS if you get to try some HD800s on the N8 or any big cans , please inform us with impressions etc

Cheers

May 26, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #450 of 3,873
From my headpie post.

I had only maybe 10-15 MN with the Cayin N8 as there were many people willing to try it. I tested with SE5U and Nerva X, both with 4.4 balanced, and compared to my WM1Z, on Flac Redbook tracks. These are very early stage and brief impressions. The player has incredible build quality, everything is super solid, well put together, knows are responsive and robust. Top marks for quality. I am not a fan of the looks, but it is is quite OK still. I did not fully test the UI, but it seem robust and fast. Sound wise, first thing that is obvious is power. It is loud and well controlled at barely 20-30% of volume, and SE5U has high impedance and not very sensitive. The tonality is warm and VERY full, sort of a tube type signature. On top of the natural tone and fullness, the key winning point is stage depth and layering. The music is incredibly fleshed out and holographic, even more so than the WM1Z. On the latest 2.0 FW, the WM1Z is more reference, and wins in clarify and precision. An interesting player to follow, with, at this stage quite a special approach to sound. From memory, the signature is at the opposite from LPG Touch.

IMG_20180526_135705.jpg
IMG_20180526_135914.jpg
IMG_20180526_135917.jpg
IMG_20180526_141834.jpg
IMG_20180526_141851.jpg
IMG_20180526_141859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back