Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #406 of 3,873
There are a lot of suggestion and comment regarding the choice of color and size of knobs. I'll try to response to them together:

(1) The size of knobs are fixed, it is a done deal. We cannot make it smaller because of the mechanical parts inside the knobs. If this is a deal breaker, sorry, I can only thank you for paying attention to our our product and we are looking forward to serve you better next round. We sincerely hope you get the chance of seeing/trying the Cayin N8 one day.

(2) The N8 is not painted in silver, that is the original color of stainless steel. We didn't plan to offer N8 in different color because that will involve covering up the stainless steel surface by paint. We do that quite often if we are using aluminum for DAP chassis, N3 is available in 3 colors, and our other DAPs are available in different shades of gray, but since N8 is in stainless steel, we believe the most appropriate presentation will be brushed or sandblast finishing. It is technically feasible to paint N8 into different colors, if there is an unanimously agreed color for N8, we'll consider that option seriously. So far we have seen a lot of suggestion and opinions, but far from unanimously. By the way, among the several DAP that are available in Stainless Steel, did any of them were painted into different color?

(3) The golden knobs seems to be the focus of the discussion. We have seen different shades of gold in DAP or even IEMs, the Sony NW-WM1Z is basically a golden DAP, the Questyle was available in both gray and gold and I think the golden version is a lot more popular, and the Lotoo Paw Gold also has a golden wheel in the front panel. So the problem is N8 has adopted an "inappropriate" shade of gold? or using the color "inappropriately" in certain location?
In fact, the original design of Cayin N5ii was having a "gold" volume wheel, we received a lot of negative feedback on this issue, so we changed it to silver instead of gold, that was the most popular suggestion at that time, but after we changed the Ni5ii volume to silver, we received over a dozen of request wanting to buy the gold volume version N5ii.

cayin_N5_0013.jpg

Anyway, to cut the story short (as this is almost 5 am in my side of the world), changing the color of the knobs or the Home button is not complicated, and it probably make more sense then covering the Stainless Steel chassis with blue or black paint. So go ahead and make your suggestion or Photoshop stimulation. If there is an unanimous or clear majority consent on the color of knobs and/or home button, I'll inform our Production Engineer and we shall investigate or try out the suggestion carefully.
I really like the design of the N5ii and the gold volume wheel fit perfectly.
On the N8 the gold accents are polished and I personally think they would look ok better against a titanium/charcoal color of the stainless steel body, to add some contrast between the 2.
Another possible solution is to change the finish of the gold elements, from polished to mat so that they don’t stand out too much.

Said that, I’m still looking forward to demo it as soon as available in the US, and if it’s perform very well, I would consider to buy it even if the wheel buttons were pink :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

May 16, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #407 of 3,873
I'm for matte gold finish of the knobs as well.

May 16, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #408 of 3,873
Got a question for you Andy:
If I put my 4.4mm TRRRS balanced cable in the N8, if I understand correctly, it would be the twin solid state amps for symmetrical/balanced Headphone Output. But can the N8 also allow for the NuTube to ouput in a non balanced (SE) through the same cable? Allowing you to just switch sounds from the UI wihout changing cables/gear. Or do we have to switch cables to a 3.5mm SE output jack exclusively in order to hear the NuTubes?
I ask because from my limited understanding, it was one of the advantage of the 5pin out pentaconn standard over the 2.5mm or 3.5mm TRRS that you could use the same jack for SE, or balanced, without causing a short.

You have to switch cable.

Your understanding of 4.4mm TRRRS is correct, but that only means you can connect a single ended headphone, for example, AKG K812 to 4.4mm connector and use the same circuit for single end output.

I'll draw a functional diagram to illustrate the circuit design of N8 and you'll be able to notice the SS balance and and SE tube go through very different circuit, they are not just alternative output at one point.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #409 of 3,873
You have to switch cable.

Your understanding of 4.4mm TRRRS is correct, but that only means you can connect a single ended headphone, for example, AKG K812 to 4.4mm connector and use the same circuit for single end output.

I'll draw a functional diagram to illustrate the circuit design of N8 and you'll be able to notice the SS balance and and SE tube go through very different circuit, they are not just alternative output at one point.
I see. Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Was just a bit confused from the diagram here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...25th-anniversary.879025/page-22#post-14236650 but then again, I don't understand much in the first place haha

May 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #410 of 3,873
In the case of N5ii, going silver instead of gold for the wheel actually made it look more bland because you lost contrast between the chassis and the wheel.
Gold color can look nice if it's limited to small parts. Knobs in N8 are pretty big, which is why I don't like the shiny golden finish. A mat golden powder coating would at least look less bling-bling, as in the N5ii picture above.
I agree, I would have liked my N5ii to have a gold wheel too.

May 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #415 of 3,873
matte gold knobs with black body seems nice. and ak sp1000 black onyx is stainless steel if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, SP1000 black onyx us stainless steel, but limited edition 100 units only. The "unlimited" Stainless Steel version is in its original color.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 17, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #416 of 3,873
Yes, SP1000 black onyx us stainless steel, but limited edition 100 units only. The "unlimited" Stainless Steel version is in its original color.
Then an "unlimited" Black Onyx version of the N8 would devalue the "limited" version of the Sp1000 :wink:

May 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #417 of 3,873
I'll cast a vote for matte finish on the nobs, as well.

But only if it's easily doable. I don't care enough for it to cause trouble with production. I think it looks fine as is, even though I agree it could look better.

May 17, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #419 of 3,873
I'll cast a vote for matte finish on the nobs, as well.

But only if it's easily doable. I don't care enough for it to cause trouble with production. I think it looks fine as is, even though I agree it could look better.

You said knob hehehe

bald-knob.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back