Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 26, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #451 of 3,873
From my headpie post.

I had only maybe 10-15 MN with the Cayin N8 as there were many people willing to try it. I tested with SE5U and Nerva X, both with 4.4 balanced, and compared to my WM1Z, on Flac Redbook tracks. These are very early stage and brief impressions. The player has incredible build quality, everything is super solid, well put together, knows are responsive and robust. Top marks for quality. I am not a fan of the looks, but it is is quite OK still. I did not fully test the UI, but it seem robust and fast. Sound wise, first thing that is obvious is power. It is loud and well controlled at barely 20-30% of volume, and SE5U has high impedance and not very sensitive. The tonality is warm and VERY full, sort of a tube type signature. On top of the natural tone and fullness, the key winning point is stage depth and layering. The music is incredibly fleshed out and holographic, even more so than the WM1Z. On the latest 2.0 FW, the WM1Z is more reference, and wins in clarify and precision. An interesting player to follow, with, at this stage quite a special approach to sound. From memory, the signature is at the opposite from LPG Touch.

Which output were you using on the WM1Z and which on the N8?

The WM1Z wasn't very holographic (both on SE and balanced) to me, it was just very big. The Sp1000 was holographic to me.

May 26, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #452 of 3,873
Which output were you using on the WM1Z and which on the N8?

The WM1Z wasn't very holographic (both on SE and balanced) to me, it was just very big. The Sp1000 was holographic to me.

Both 4.4 balanced. I think SP1000 is ultra clear but wasn't impressed by depth. Like most AK players.

May 26, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #453 of 3,873
Both 4.4 balanced. I think SP1000 is ultra clear but wasn't impressed by depth. Like most AK players.
Did you try out the SE output of the N8? Thats the real star of the show.

May 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #455 of 3,873
No, did I miss something? Why is it better? I had just brought 4.4 cables.
LOL are you serious? The Nutubes were all the hype on the N8 :p

May 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #457 of 3,873
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 26, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #458 of 3,873
From my headpie post.

I had only maybe 10-15 MN with the Cayin N8 as there were many people willing to try it. I tested with SE5U and Nerva X, both with 4.4 balanced, and compared to my WM1Z, on Flac Redbook tracks. These are very early stage and brief impressions. The player has incredible build quality, everything is super solid, well put together, knows are responsive and robust. Top marks for quality. I am not a fan of the looks, but it is is quite OK still. I did not fully test the UI, but it seem robust and fast. Sound wise, first thing that is obvious is power. It is loud and well controlled at barely 20-30% of volume, and SE5U has high impedance and not very sensitive. The tonality is warm and VERY full, sort of a tube type signature. On top of the natural tone and fullness, the key winning point is stage depth and layering. The music is incredibly fleshed out and holographic, even more so than the WM1Z. On the latest 2.0 FW, the WM1Z is more reference, and wins in clarify and precision. An interesting player to follow, with, at this stage quite a special approach to sound. From memory, the signature is at the opposite from LPG Touch.

Thank you for your detail impression. This is the first N8 impression in English and I am glad that we have a fairly good start.

The moment you picked up N8 at our booth, my colleagues alerted me right away. :beerchug:

Mimouille at Bejing N8.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 26, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #459 of 3,873
Thank you for your detail impression. This is the first N8 impression in English and I am glad that we have a fairly good start.

The moment you picked up N8 at our booth, my colleagues alerted me right away. :beerchug:

@Mimouille , and all this time you thought that cosplayer Eros girl was checking you out at the show? Looks like she was Cayin double agent, spying on you :p

May 26, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #461 of 3,873
So does it mean the N8 will be even warmer on the SE? if so wouldn't it be slightly too warm? as from what I read here previously the WM1Z is already on the warm side of neutral, then the N8 Balanced even warmer, and the SE? any impression on that one?
Apparently the Nutubes sound more like an extremely clean solid state amp (someone posted it here a while ago). Still a pity @Mimouille didn't get to try it.

@Andykong surely you can give us your impressions right? Not as an employee of Cayin but as a fellow audiophile. :D

May 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #462 of 3,873
My heart is poisoned by jealousy, @Mimouille !

when-things-dont-happen.jpg

May 26, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #463 of 3,873
I'll cast a vote for matte finish on the nobs, as well.

But only if it's easily doable. I don't care enough for it to cause trouble with production. I think it looks fine as is, even though I agree it could look better.
From the discussion on this it seems like a good opportunity for the company to offer customized components -- similar to when you order a cable and pay additive amounts for increased length and various terminations.
Same with various speaker finishes (eg Salk, JTR, Seaton, etc).
Create one or a few large batch runs and allow a charge (let's say +$20 or +$50 or more for very customized).
Seems that would be a niche for users and likely a high margin for the company.

Mike

May 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #464 of 3,873
Plausible deniability Mim, say you only had your 4.4 cable on you x-D

May 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #465 of 3,873

LOL are you serious? The Nutubes were all the hype on the N8 :p

I didn't know they where only on SE...too bad. Will try next time.

I'm new to DAPs, but stepping back a bit as a potential buyer as well as just interested in DAP development, we have:

SE +/- Nutubes
Balanced - no Nutubes

I don't know much about DAPs, but all my reading about headphone amps is that you want to use the best output possible.
Ignoring any possible reliability issues with Nutubes, there is still the utility issue.
I read the prior technical explanation of why SE got the Nutube treatment, but it doesn't seem like it would be used if trying to use the optimal outputs (balanced).
Seems over compromised for a "price no object" product.
I applaud the idea, but seems tricky as I'm imagining the use cases.

Thoughts?

Mike

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...25th-anniversary.879025/page-27#post-14244710
"Yes, the Tube/SS option is a pull down menu item, it will be covered later. "

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...25th-anniversary.879025/page-22#post-14236650
Found a really nice pic of the N8 circuitry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back