1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, 4.4mm Balanced, Dual AK4497, Dual output mode, Dual Line Out

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Andykong, May 5, 2018.
First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last
  1. dhc0329
    This looks definitely premium in brass but we may need something drastically different. Like.. how about mini N8 with Korg Tube only version at a little lower price.
    I am sure that will sell like hot cakes...I will be the first one to buy.

quantumrush and EagleWings like this.
  2. Currawong Contributor
    That's the Head-Fi spirit! :o2smile:

jmills8 likes this.
  3. 21qz
    The big question... side buttons any different?

4. Andykong
    We don't have any plan on mini N8 right now, if you are referring to a single-ended only high-end DAP, we probably won't attempt this market in near future. We believe Single-ended can sound great, that's why we invested a lot of resource on the single-ended circuit, but we can't afford the marketing cost to convince the general public on this issue. There is no point, from business point of view, to fight against the whole Personal Audio community IMHO.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
    DarginMahkum likes this.
  5. Scribemole
    If you mean the internal storage of the N8 and an OTA update, that is what I was attempting.

6. dhc0329
    I wasn't really after SE but more interested in the tube implementation which happens to come in through SE. I believe most of N8 users just love the tube sounds including myself.
    Thus, I suggested the mini N8 with tube only. The Ibasso will come up with a tube amp card shortly and if it sounds right at lower cost, it may impact your market.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. dhc0329
    So did you also run into any issue while performing the local storage upgrade using the internal storage?

8. Andykong
    You are talking about a super N8, not a mini N8. Your suggestion involves a significant increase in bill of material, and we need to increase the size of the DAP, as well as the battery in order to maintain the 8 hours duration benchmark.

Take a closer look at our circuit design and you'll understand the reason behind this:
    [​IMG]

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
  9. Scribemole
    No, once the OTA download started running at a decent speed it all worked fine the same as previous upgrades, it was just the first attempt where the download stalled partway through after running at a snail's pace for 12hrs or so that I had problems.

10. szore
    The N8 sounds really great, but the unit is soooo heavy...

jmills8 likes this.
  11. jmills8
    Oo I know, Im using it 3 hrs per day, five to six days per week. Im walking and taking trains to and from work plus Im standing 4 to 7 hrs at work.

12. dhc0329
    Thanks for sharing but just as an average listener I wouldn't be able to read your schematic but I still don't follow your logic behind device getting bigger
    if we are to just take out components specific to 3.5mm lineout and 4.4mm line/phone out, unless the single, standalone nutube implementation requires bigger and more complex circuitry.

13. Frankie D
    I am not sure what is meant by single ended. However I do know they Chord recommends the 3.5mm connection and says that is sounds better than the 2.5mm connections espoused by others. And your 3.5mm connectionworh the Kory tube sounded fabulous when I heard it. Tks.

14. Frankie D
    Andy, can you please provide a little more information on the difference in sound between the stainless steal and brass versions. Perhaps mentioning some songs in the process? Also, is there anyway you can further explain the advantage stainless steel would have with its anti-interference to high frequency, etc. vs the advantage of brass and its better grounding? Does this mean these are circumstances when one would sound better than the other? Thank you.

15. x RELIC x Contributor
    Chord recommends SE because their DAC implementation is very different than the typical off-the-shelf solutions so they don't benefit from a balanced implementation, and the SE measures better than balanced in their designs. A balanced implementation requires more components in the signal path and reduces transparency to the source, and transparency to the source is what the designer is going for. They do provide a balanced output on the higher end desktop gear for convenience to the user. Depending on the gear connected to the balanced output there may or may not be a benefit.

Other gear can benefit greatly from using a balanced topology, either for measurements or desired tuning, depending on the overall design goal. In the end it depends on the implementation and the end goal of the design.

Currawong likes this.
First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last