Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #391 of 1,872
That is exactly what I'm hoping for and from the specs it looks like the N7 going to excel on this, but before pressing the BUY button wanted some reassurance on the topic.
I understand you.
Actually I am also waiting for more sound and synergy impressions- only one week left to get the early bird price off in my country…

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #392 of 1,872
Did anyone managed to try the N7 as a DAC for HiFi system with 7V output or with external Headphone amp?
How would it compared to desktop HQ DAC?
The 7V output is meant to function as a pre-amp, technically you should connect it to a power amplifier or active speaker, if you connect it to an integrated amplifier or a desktop headphone amplifier like HA-300 or HA-6A, you'll double amp your system, with two volume control, and duplicated amplification stage. From a functional point of view, this will work, but you probably lost the black background, 3D soundstage, and holographic imaging will also be affected.

Besides a hot input might affect the dynamic of your amplifier. We have users running into this situation in the HA-300 thread (if I remember it right). He used a 6V output into the HA-300 headphone amplifier driving a pair of Susvara. The HA-300 volume can only go up to the 12 o'clock position but the dynamic is compressed, if he pushes the volume beyond that, he started to hear distortion. So I suggest he lowers the voltage of his DAC, when he tried 3V, he can push the volume knob to a much higher position without distortion, and the dynamic is much better with this setting.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #393 of 1,872
I understand you.
Actually I am also waiting for more sound and synergy impressions- only one week left to get the early bird price off in my country…
The only post from CanJam NY 2023 mentioning the N7, though many found it already:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-february-25-26-2023.967080/post-17424045
The words used most often in the CanJam thread are ”terrible noise“ …

Regarding the German importer of Cayin, offering the early bird price: I figure they ship to all of Europe, but I don‘t know about their price outside of Germany.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #394 of 1,872
The only post from CanJam NY 2023 mentioning the N7, though many found it already:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-february-25-26-2023.967080/post-17424045

Regarding the German importer of Cayin, offering the early bird price: I figure they ship to all of Europe, but I don‘t know about their price outside of Germany.
It’s a EU price, got mine ordered last week, should arrive at my doorstep in NL tomorrow.

Proper German experience there, you buy, they ship quickly, proper communication, not too much not too little, just right… I really dig our Deutsche Nachbarn

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #395 of 1,872
The 7V output is meant to function as a pre-amp, technically you should connect it to a power amplifier or active speaker, if you connect it to an integrated amplifier or a desktop headphone amplifier like HA-300 or HA-6A, you'll double amp your system, with two volume control, and duplicated amplification stage. From a functional point of view, this will work, but you probably lost the black background, 3D soundstage, and holographic imaging will also be affected.

Besides a hot input might affect the dynamic of your amplifier. We have users running into this situation in the HA-300 thread (if I remember it right). He used a 6V output into the HA-300 headphone amplifier driving a pair of Susvara. The HA-300 volume can only go up to the 12 o'clock position but the dynamic is compressed, if he pushes the volume beyond that, he started to hear distortion. So I suggest he lowers the voltage of his DAC, when he tried 3V, he can push the volume knob to a much higher position without distortion, and the dynamic is much better with this setting.
Thx Andy, but isn't there some true lo option too in N7?

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #396 of 1,872

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #397 of 1,872
Yes, 2V single-ended, 4V balanced, fixed output voltage.
So then this is the way to go with the headamp scenario isn’t it?
No reason to go the preamp route

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #398 of 1,872
So then this is the way to go with the headamp scenario isn’t it?
No reason to go the preamp route

99% IMHO.
I had run into one occasion when someone use a power amp. to drive his planar out of the speaker output, in that case, N7 pre out will fit the bill.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #399 of 1,872

Hello Andy.
what you describe with the HA300 is very depended on the input sensitivity of the amp itself - they are all have different specs, some can handle even 10V input and some will go into distortions with 10V

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #400 of 1,872
@Andykong The C9 would be a good companion for the N7 as a line-out and pre-amp?

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #401 of 1,872

Getting impressions of a player sound while using IEMs and sharing the info is not that correct, in my thoughts, as the whole sound of an IEM is totally depended on the Tips and the person ear canal, specially the "warm" feeling or lack of highs as the person described in the post link.
It would be great if anyone could test the N7 sound with Headphones.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #402 of 1,872
It’s a EU price, got mine ordered last week, should arrive at my doorstep in NL tomorrow.

Proper German experience there, you buy, they ship quickly, proper communication, not too much not too little, just right… I really dig our Deutsche Nachbarn
and regarding the thread link - he don't even mention if he used Class A amp or AB !?
I'm waiting for the Israeli distributor to get his stock, probably then will be smarter.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #403 of 1,872
Interesting 🫰💌

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #404 of 1,872
Interesting also the use of discrete components.

The jfets too... Classes A and AB... The dual femto...

There it looks like what I consider to be true high end stereo gear specs. 🥰👑

And not an Xth overpriced delta sigma assembly (follow my gaze...). 🧐

Very interested.... Very. theoretically 🤔

Keep listening to this, I hope soon. 😜

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #405 of 1,872
Okay so I spent pretty much the entire day yesterday using the N7, doing small A/B to SP3000 and overall getting a feel for what this DAP is about. I have maybe 5-6 listening hours on it so far, so take these impressions FWIW.

I feel the N7 really hits a sweet spot between that organic/natural r2r sound in the mid range while retaining my personal favorite aspects of DS DAC chips which would be a high level of technicals and proper treble extension. The overall tone is a neutral and natural sound, I don’t have N8ii with me anymore but it reminds me of a less energetic in the upper mids and highs and smoother version of that. There isn’t any mid bass coloring to my ears, so sub bass extension is deep and well textured. Soundstage is huge and wraps around your head, with precise imaging. It’s quite an addicting presentation. You feel you get the vocal projection and mid range up close and everything else just expands outwards creating a very immersive stage presentation.

Switching from class AB to A makes the sound a smidge fuller and more organic, I really like this for a more vocal oriented presentation.
The SP3000 in comparison has a blacker background (it’s the best I’ve heard) coupled with a slightly warmer but still neutral presentation. SP3000 has a small mid bass bump and the mids don’t sit as forward relative to N7.

Based off my initial testing and thoughts, Cayin has another winner on their hands. I’m looking forward to seeing how this may change with more use.

A017763E-9B00-44E0-94A0-3C1E6ED900DD.jpeg
So, it's that good you're now listing your SP3K, for what, the third time already?
now I'm much more excited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back