Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #3,706 of 8,194
I recently finally got my hands on N6ii to go with my Custom M5 IEMs. Beautiful pairing from when I was demo testing.

However I've got a question for some here maybe I can get some good suggestions.. I love the E01 module. I think it's the best one. In almost all categories of sound you'd normally want to define, it excels for me vs. the others.

However, the physical "Impact" and punch of lower instruments and notes in bass levels, especially kick drums, is lacking here for me. Knowing what can come from my IEMs already in this regard I know it's the DAP reproduction, I just am curious though because I remember first auditioning the E01 and not having this noticable lack of attack and impact to kick drums and lower end sounds etc. The sub bass and low end pressure and presence is great, just lacks the impact and physical attack of kicks, etc. Just gets the 'woof' of the low end essentially.

So, I attempted to play around with the audio settings on the N6ii to attempt to fix this - and this is where my questions come in. Anyone have experience with what the best audio settings are - or better yet - what each audio setting does/changes and the supposed sound change/outcome?

The "PCM Antialiasing Filter Settings" I'm speaking of primarily, from "Fast Roll-Off, Minimum phase" to "Hyrbid" and "Apodizing" etc. I have no clue what these each are meant to do and am not sure if this would help with bass/low end and kick drum impact. Theres 7 settings in this menu, as well as other menus such as "DSD Antialiasing Filter settings" "DSD gain compensation" etc. That I would like to know recommended settings or understand the uses of each to best choose my settings.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,707 of 8,194
I recently finally got my hands on N6ii to go with my Custom M5 IEMs. Beautiful pairing from when I was demo testing.

However I've got a question for some here maybe I can get some good suggestions.. I love the E01 module. I think it's the best one. In almost all categories of sound you'd normally want to define, it excels for me vs. the others.

However, the physical "Impact" and punch of lower instruments and notes in bass levels, especially kick drums, is lacking here for me. Knowing what can come from my IEMs already in this regard I know it's the DAP reproduction, I just am curious though because I remember first auditioning the E01 and not having this noticable lack of attack and impact to kick drums and lower end sounds etc. The sub bass and low end pressure and presence is great, just lacks the impact and physical attack of kicks, etc. Just gets the 'woof' of the low end essentially.

So, I attempted to play around with the audio settings on the N6ii to attempt to fix this - and this is where my questions come in. Anyone have experience with what the best audio settings are - or better yet - what each audio setting does/changes and the supposed sound change/outcome?

The "PCM Antialiasing Filter Settings" I'm speaking of primarily, from "Fast Roll-Off, Minimum phase" to "Hyrbid" and "Apodizing" etc. I have no clue what these each are meant to do and am not sure if this would help with bass/low end and kick drum impact. Theres 7 settings in this menu, as well as other menus such as "DSD Antialiasing Filter settings" "DSD gain compensation" etc. That I would like to know recommended settings or understand the uses of each to best choose my settings.
Get better iems.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #3,708 of 8,194
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #3,709 of 8,194
Get better iems.

Ive tested just about every single TOTL IEM, so thank you for your response, however not an answer to my question. As well I would respond and say the exact thing I'm missing is there and apparent in many other DAPs with my IEMs so, (in my opinion these have the greatest low end of any high end IEM on the market) the missing link is DAP related and possibly just the E01 module, as the others seem to not suffer from this.

Thank you for all the concerned trolling you do around here, I realize it may occupy your time and keep you from internal darkness, but rather then push back I'll just offer my respect and gratitude back to you.

If anyone else may have an actual answer to the audio settings on the N6ii it's much appreciated, I'd like to learn

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,710 of 8,194
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #3,711 of 8,194

Do you know what the sensitivity of the M5 is? Its quite low impedance at 6.8 ohms but I couldn't find the sensitivity number anywhere.

In any case the sensitivity will be quoted at a single frequency (1Khz probably) The E01 module isn't that powerful so it could be it just doesn't have the power to drive the M5 bass driver.

Its a fact of our hobby that not every source->IEM/Headphone paring works unfortunately.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #3,712 of 8,194
SQ in the idiosyncratic way is totally changeable from person to person.
You nailed it. However, I can perfectly hear difference in SQ between phones, low-, mid- and top range DAPs. If we take TOTL DAPs the difference is more subtle, as usual and is more related to nuances and tech. performance. Again, it's highly dependent on earphones used for comparison - many people use mid-level earphone for listening to higher end DAPs and, naturally, they hear no improvement when switching to a better DAP.

Taking measurements, imo, is a great thing to reveal flaws in technical design, but this approach is by far not the best for comparing SQ. DAPs can have the same characteristics according to measurements, but in real life have totally different sound signature and performance.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer having a DAP of the same class as well, that could run for 30-40hrs with 1 hour or less recharge time, but we'll need to wait a bit, I guess, until technology meets our demands)

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #3,713 of 8,194

One piece of info is missing, with E01 are you in Class A or Class AB? Because what you are describing sounds like a pair up synergy I hear between N6ii/E01 & M5 when in Class A. When I switch to Class AB, it's a different story. Of course, we all hear things differently and it could be more subtle for you ears, but per my E01 review that's how I hear switch between Class A and Class AB:

"Switching between Class A and Class AB sounds like going from a smoother and more laidback analog flavor of A to a faster and more energetic flavor of AB. To my ears the difference in tonality was quite noticeable due to a speed/attack of the sound, with A having a slower attack, making the sound more laidback, more relaxed, while AB having a faster attack, making the sound punchier, with notes having a faster transient response of on/off. "

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #3,714 of 8,194
One piece of info is missing, with E01 are you in Class A or Class AB? Because what you are describing sounds like a pair up synergy I hear between N6ii/E01 & M5 when in Class A. When I switch to Class AB, it's a different story. Of course, we all hear things differently and it could be more subtle for you ears, but per my E01 review that's how I hear switch between Class A and Class AB:

"Switching between Class A and Class AB sounds like going from a smoother and more laidback analog flavor of A to a faster and more energetic flavor of AB. To my ears the difference in tonality was quite noticeable due to a speed/attack of the sound, with A having a slower attack, making the sound more laidback, more relaxed, while AB having a faster attack, making the sound punchier, with notes having a faster transient response of on/off. "

Its in class AB, which I prefer most of the time. The sound has a larger stage, fullness and enveloping dynamic & range. Its absolutely a gorgeous pair up and one of my favorites. Just that one little bit that's missing.

To both you and @SteveOliver, I understand the synergy thing. I wouldnt have even commented about it and just assumed it was the E01 based on my testing my IEMs with other DAPs. However, when I first heard the E01 and tested it, it was with a dealers personal model. Fully burned in and I spent a few hours with it and M5 a few months ago, and I didn't notice this same thing at all. In fact I thought the impact was a quite good thing.

So my only other questions about what I may have different are the ones I asked, it comes down to the audio settings possibly could be the difference. If the dealer had certain ones on that I don't now have on. So i'm looking to understand the differences in those settings and what they change. The source of the music was the same also, same songs and both on Tidal app.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,715 of 8,194
Its in class AB, which I prefer most of the time. The sound has a larger stage, fullness and enveloping dynamic & range. Its absolutely a gorgeous pair up and one of my favorites. Just that one little bit that's missing.

To both you and @SteveOliver, I understand the synergy thing. I wouldnt have even commented about it and just assumed it was the E01 based on my testing my IEMs with other DAPs. However, when I first heard the E01 and tested it, it was with a dealers personal model. Fully burned in and I spent a few hours with it and M5 a few months ago, and I didn't notice this same thing at all. In fact I thought the impact was a quite good thing.

So my only other questions about what I may have different are the ones I asked, it comes down to the audio settings possibly could be the difference. If the dealer had certain ones on that I don't now have on. So i'm looking to understand the differences in those settings and what they change. The source of the music was the same also, same songs and both on Tidal app.
In time and reading reviews there will always be that "just one little more" needed.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #3,716 of 8,194
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3,717 of 8,194
In time and reading reviews there will always be that "just one little more" needed.

No. I don't subscribe to mindless consumerism. And I don't base anything on reviews. Again, the point being missed here is that the sound I'm describing isn't something missing that im hoping was there baslessly, it was already there in a demo unit and I'm now trying to sort out the audio settings to see what might be the differentiator in my device from what I previously auditioned.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #3,718 of 8,194

OK understood. I'm not aware myself of any tweaks that make a significant difference to the sound, other than EQ where available, the filters certainly don't make much difference, at least to my ears.

You said, I think that you tested the different gain settings?

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #3,719 of 8,194
OK understood. I'm not aware myself of any tweaks that make a significant difference to the sound, other than EQ where available, the filters certainly don't make much difference, at least to my ears.

You said, I think that you tested the different gain settings?

Well I generally have it on high gain mode with lower volume, like I do most DAPs. That's a good question though I can try other gain settings. I believe I had the demo one i tested to high gain also but i don't remember. I do usually just set DAPs to highest gain.

I'll probably just spend a bunch of time between the filters auditioning myself. I thought someone else might have some insight to the filters and I like to know the how and why's to things. But I'll spend the time and figure it out. If not maybe find a good recommended EQ? and boost a little around where the kicks are.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,720 of 8,194
Well I generally have it on high gain mode with lower volume, like I do most DAPs. That's a good question though I can try other gain settings. I believe I had the demo one i tested to high gain also but i don't remember. I do usually just set DAPs to highest gain.

I'll probably just spend a bunch of time between the filters auditioning myself. I thought someone else might have some insight to the filters and I like to know the how and why's to things. But I'll spend the time and figure it out. If not maybe find a good recommended EQ? and boost a little around where the kicks are.

Yes have a play with the gain settings, for IEM's I usually have mine set to medium gain, actually medium works best for my high sensitivity headphones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back