Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #1,516 of 8,197
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 6, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,517 of 8,197
Agreed, I was wondering too if the supply to the A01 Audio Motherboard is actually completely switched off when using the DAP in transport mode, making it much easier to achieve the the excellent battery savings.

Almost, we still need to maintain the power supply between A01 and the microprocessor of N6ii, otherwise we con't be able to wake up the A01 when user switch to phone mode.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,518 of 8,197
I’ve received the new screen protector from my local distributor. It’s rather disappointing because from tempered glass, it has now been replaced with film type by Cayin. I’m sure many people will feel the bad aftertaste....anyway, Cayin should remake the DAP with a flat screen, or customise a tempered glass protector.

I can’t even bear to change the glass screen protector out and replace it with a miserable film...I’m staring at the N6ii wondering what to do.....

The minimum order for custom-designed, curved tempered-glass screen protector is something like 50K. This is a very small number for mobile phone screen protector, but basically out of the question for DAP. Sorry for the bad news, but this is the reality with niche market product like DAP.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,519 of 8,197
Went to Canjam London with the Meze Rai Penta as one of the main things on my 'must listen-to' list. With my own sources (Pioneer 300R & Questyle QP1R) they were good, but not as spectacular as I'd hoped they might be based on reviews... Then I noticed they were demoing them with a Cayin N6ii & thought I'd give the combo a spin out of curiosity... Wow. Stunning - a case study in how much of a difference good synergy can make.

Fantastic, this is a very promising impression, given the close relationship between Cayin and Meze, this is a wonderful report. The N5ii+99Classic was one of the best example of good synergy in our previous experience, and now we have the N6i+Rai Penta. I am sure we'll see this combination very often down the road.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,521 of 8,197
Did someone test line-out with stereo-amplifiers? How does Cayin n6 mk2 perform like dac (now main dac for me is native cs4398 in marantz pm 6006, and sometimes it is dacportable or nuprime udsd).

I haven't tried with a stereo amp but have plugged the N6ii to my KEF LS50 Wireless speakers with build in amp. The setup sounds better than a Chord Mojo. The midrange has more body when fed through the 4.4mm line out. Overall, very pleased with the sound signature through the speakers.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #1,522 of 8,197
Did someone test line-out with stereo-amplifiers? How does Cayin n6 mk2 perform like dac (now main dac for me is native cs4398 in marantz pm 6006, and sometimes it is dacportable or nuprime udsd).

N6ii Line out > Onkyo TX-NR626 Line in > Q Acoustics Concept 20 sounds as good as any other source I've tried with this amp and speakers. I think the N6ii via line in will beat the built in digital input on the Marantz amp.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,523 of 8,197
I nearly ordered the N6ii last night- until I saw that it comes with a 1 year warranty. Is there a way to extend it? How reliable are Cayin units? Couldn't even find a UK based repairs centre...
In other words, I am a bit anxious to order something that costs £999 and has such a limited warranty. Especially when, due to its modular nature, it is meant to be supported with new motherboards in the near future.

Any advice?

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,524 of 8,197
I nearly ordered the N6ii last night- until I saw that it comes with a 1 year warranty. Is there a way to extend it? How reliable are Cayin units? Couldn't even find a UK based repairs centre...
In other words, I am a bit anxious to order something that costs £999 and has such a limited warranty. Especially when, due to its modular nature, it is meant to be supported with new motherboards in the near future.

Any advice?

I'm not sure about reliability but it "should" last a few years as long as you don't drop it, by that time the N6iii will be out. :)

Electronics reliability is generally a bathtub curve, if it's still working in six months time then you will be on that low failure rate part of the curve for some time.

It may be a good idea to get some accidental damage cover though if you are worried. I'm covered for accidental damage and theft on my home contents insurance even when taking the item out of the house, but I've never had to use it.

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,525 of 8,197
I'm not sure about reliability but it "should" last a few years as long as you don't drop it, by that time the N6iii will be out. :)

Electronics reliability is generally a bathtub curve, if it's still working in six months time then you will be on that low failure rate part of the curve for some time.

It may be a good idea to get some accidental damage cover though if you are worried. I'm covered for accidental damage and theft on my home contents insurance even when taking the item out of the house, but I've never had to use it.

I have accidental damage cover, which would apply to a potential N6ii too. That wouldn't mean anything in case of a mechanical breakdown.
My question still stands- how is Cayin customer service-wise? I couldn't even find their (if they have one) official distributor in the UK.

I like the product but not too sure about buying it. To put this into perspective, I got 5 years worth of warranty for my Focal Utopia and 5 years for my Chord Mojo/Poly pair too.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,526 of 8,197
I have accidental damage cover, which would apply to a potential N6ii too. That wouldn't mean anything in case of a mechanical breakdown.
My question still stands- how is Cayin customer service-wise? I couldn't even find their (if they have one) official distributor in the UK.

I like the product but not too sure about buying it. To put this into perspective, I got 5 years worth of warranty for my Focal Utopia and 5 years for my Chord Mojo/Poly pair too.
If you are worried and not sure then best stick with what you have. Both your headphone and Mojo are good.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,527 of 8,197

If you are referring to single-ended line out (required a 3.5mm to 2xRCA interconnect), then I can assure you that Cayin N6ii is one of the best in its price range, especially when you want to connect the DAP to a speaker based desktop system. We have dedicated line amplifier circuit for the 3.5mm line out and it is rated for 10kohm loading, quite unusual for portable player but widely accepted as modern desktop line out standard.

Our 4.4mm line out is less dedicated, it is a fixed rate output from the 4.4mm phone out and is rated for 600ohm, this is a designed commonly used in many DAP, we aren't the best but still a carefully implemented high quality line out when compare to other portable player adopting this approach.

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,528 of 8,197

Any advice?

With a few hiccups I have faced with this player (all software-based), I would highly suggest going for an extended warranty (if buying from a third party).

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,529 of 8,197
With a few hiccups I have faced with this player (all software-based), I would highly suggest going for an extended warranty (if buying from a third party).

I will have to try and see who I can buy from (that offers extra warranty); there is currently only one shop, who has the n6ii in stock and my experience dealing with them has been abysmal.
I am surprised that a Cayin rep hasn't joined this discussion around warranty/reliability/customer support by now..

@Andykong

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,530 of 8,197
I will have to try and see who I can buy from (that offers extra warranty); there is currently only one shop, who has the n6ii in stock and my experience dealing with them has been abysmal.
I am surprised that a Cayin rep hasn't joined this discussion around warranty/reliability/customer support by now..

@Andykong

Andy probably won't be able to help, this kind of thing varies so much country by country.

In the UK consumer law doesn't specifically specify one year of warranty cover, it's more like a reasonable product life based on the item, its usage and cost. If you are prepared to fight in the small claims court you may well be able to get a replacement item two or more years after you purchase if it develops a fault.

The problem is that a DAP is in many ways like a Smartphone and those can cost upwards of £1000 too and are basically considered disposable items.

My advise just buy it, enjoy it and stop worrying.

That said a Google search found a company that will insure an electronic "gadget" with a value of £750 to £1000 for four years for £120. Obviously you would have to check the small print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back