Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #751 of 8,191
I
Stage is a psycho acoustic illusion

Most of soundstage/width is created by the choice of iems rather than dap.
I agree. But I tested my DX208 with SP1000 with Andros, and SP1000 sounded wider, and in this case I wouldn't call it an illusion, I hardly believe that some could say that SP1000 had smaller soundstage, so I guess where are still some objective aspects (hardware related) to that.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #752 of 8,191
I agree. But I tested my DX208 with SP1000 with Andros, and SP1000 sounded wider, and in this case I wouldn't call it an illusion, I hardly believe that some could say that SP1000 had smaller soundstage, so I guess where are still some objective aspects (hardware related) to that.
The ak sp1000 is a very good dap. Money does not always mean better equipment but that astell and kern is very good. Is it worth all that money. Probably not but it's the totl dap that I've liked best and kept.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #753 of 8,191
The DX220 seems to be a stopgap device just for clearing out the old processor and DAC inventory. DX220 used back the same RK3368 8-core processor as the DX200, while the N6ii used a 4-core Snapdragon 425 but the 4 core N6ii is still faster. Why? The DX220 is severely underclocked and yet gives out more heat.

n6iidx220.jpg

The smoothness when navigating and interaction with third-party music apps is apparent on the N6ii.

I assume people who are interested in both DAPs are going to use some apps so unless you can live with the lagginess, hotness, mediocre battery life, then I wouldn't touch the DX220.

Sound comparison is up for debate and choosing one is a matter of iems pairing and personal preferences. And I have seen quite a number of people switched from DX220 to N6ii and not the other way round. :wink:

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #754 of 8,191
SACD
20190611_145223.jpg

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #755 of 8,191
The DX220 seems to be a stopgap device just for clearing out the old processor and DAC inventory. DX220 used back the same RK3368 8-core processor as the DX200, while the N6ii used a 4-core Snapdragon 425 but the 4 core N6ii is still faster. Why? The DX220 is severely underclocked and yet gives out more heat.

The smoothness when navigating and interaction with third-party music apps is apparent on the N6ii.

I assume people who are interested in both DAPs are going to use some apps so unless you can live with the lagginess, hotness, mediocre battery life, then I wouldn't touch the DX220.

Sound comparison is up for debate and choosing one is a matter of iems pairing and personal preferences. And I have seen quite a number of people switched from DX220 to N6ii and not the other way round. :wink:

I had the same opinion on the cpu since the day I bought it. The same group of sh*lls and fanbois shoot me down and said the cpu is still relevant in 2019. Either these same group of clowns influenced iBasso that DX200 is not sluggish or it’s the inventory clearing. If it’s the latter, that’s a shame.

On general use, it’s fine for the intended function but user need to slow down on how fast they gave inputs to the unit else it will pause or hang.

Once I get return back to East hemisphere of the Earth, I will go pickup a N6ii for a ride.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #756 of 8,191
I had the same opinion on the cpu since the day I bought it. The same group of sh*lls and fanbois shoot me down and said the cpu is still relevant in 2019. Either these same group of clowns influenced iBasso that DX200 is not sluggish or it’s the inventory clearing. If it’s the latter, that’s a shame.

On general use, it’s fine for the intended function but user need to slow down on how fast they gave inputs to the unit else it will pause or hang.

Once I get return back to East hemisphere of the Earth, I will go pickup a N6ii for a ride.
Well put brave man.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #757 of 8,191
Last night I found an old blackberry phone from about 7years ago. That runs Spotify faster the dx220. The dx220 sounds great but like also ibasso stuff, big lag and heat. I'm going to get a n6ii.....

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #758 of 8,191
To be honest if someone wants an ibasso dx220, I'd just buy a cheap dx200. Not much difference

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #759 of 8,191
To be honest if someone wants an ibasso dx220, I'd just buy a cheap dx200. Not much difference
My buddy did that, he tested his dx200 with the dx220 and he just kept the dx200. ☺☺☺

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #760 of 8,191
Cheaper, hardly no difference and I have both

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #762 of 8,191
Credit where due, iBasso product support is exemplary. Look at how many update DX200 received. DX220 just few months old and received 3rd update.

Now look at N5iis... Hope Cayin don’t abandon the ship the moment they released new gear.
Im not disagreing with you but that many updates tells me they messed up a lot. They should have knocked 20% off the price for the time I wasted fixing their product.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #763 of 8,191
Im not disagreing with you but that many updates tells me they messed up a lot. They should have knocked 20% off the price for the time I wasted fixing their product.

Amen that. At least it’s not terribly broken upon release, only few minor bugs to fix. I’m waiting for next software patch to upgrade the cpu, magically.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #764 of 8,191

Well said! Agree 100%.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #765 of 8,191
I'm a bit disappointed to hear that actually as I was almost ready to buy the N6II. Now I'm not sure. To me soundstage is one of the most important aspects in a DAP. Can somebody speak up on this? Should we prefer DAPs with wider soundstage?

Sorry, yeah as others pointed out, I should have been more specific (typed from my phone as I was falling asleep :D). Yep, soundstage is psycho acoustic phenomenon, and will depend on your earphones/headphones, audio recording quality, your hearing (which is subjective), etc. I use U18t a lot in my auditions, my personal go-to iem. I don't hear N6ii as having a narrow stage, it's as wide as many other flagship daps, and has a decent stereo separation and imaging, but with a number of my test tracks I just hear dx220 edging it out. Just my subjective opinion.

And that opinion will vary from user to user. That's why you should never make a decision based on reading a single impression. But there are other things we can all agree here as a "fact", such as phenomenal battery life and battery management, speed of the interface, natural smoother tonality, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back