Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #5,056 of 8,192
Hi Andy, I've noticed the digital filter changing, when the bit rate of the music file playing changes. For instance, when the initial song that I'm listening to is FLAC (44.1), then when the next shuffled song is a 384 starts playing, then the digital filter automatically changes back to the first one on the list (fast roll off minimal) from the pre-set one that I initially chose (slow roll off linear). I hope this doesn't make things more confusing, Thanks.

Thank you for your input, we aware of the this and there are other combinations that trigger the filter reset. We'll work this out very soon.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 13, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #5,057 of 8,192
To conclude, the skipping occurs when you switch from 352.8KHz and 384kHz to 44.1kHz, but it won't happen when you switch from 44.1khz to 352.8kHz or 384kHz?
I have been doing more testing this morning. Two more things have become apparent.

First though - Yes the skipping occurs when the playlist switches from 352.8KHz and 384kHz tracks to 44.1kHz tracks, but it doesn’t happen when I switch from 44.1khz to 352.8kHz or 384kHz.

But - also noticed, if I just press on a song to play, if it is 44.1k it skips the first second. This happens roughly 65% of the time. This does Not seems to happen on tracks that are 352.8k or 384k. ( I would mention though that this happens if I randomly just press on a 44.1k song to play. It does not happen if that same song follows on from another 44.1k song in a playlist that I’m listening to.)

Also, I’m now having the issue mentioned earlier on this thread where MQA tracks start playing at 88.2k or 96k and after about 2 to 3 seconds the rate changes to 352.8k or 384k. There is an actual stop of the music for a second before it then resumes. It looks as though the timing on the unfold is out of sink with the song.

Again, I hope this is useful.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #5,058 of 8,192
I have been doing more testing this morning. Two more things have become apparent.

First though - Yes the skipping occurs when the playlist switches from 352.8KHz and 384kHz tracks to 44.1kHz tracks, but it doesn’t happen when I switch from 44.1khz to 352.8kHz or 384kHz.

But - also noticed, if I just press on a song to play, if it is 44.1k it skips the first second. This happens roughly 65% of the time. This does Not seems to happen on tracks that are 352.8k or 384k. ( I would mention though that this happens if I randomly just press on a 44.1k song to play. It does not happen if that same song follows on from another 44.1k song in a playlist that I’m listening to.)

Also, I’m now having the issue mentioned earlier on this thread where MQA tracks start playing at 88.2k or 96k and after about 2 to 3 seconds the rate changes to 352.8k or 384k. There is an actual stop of the music for a second before it then resumes. It looks as though the timing on the unfold is out of sink with the song.

Again, I hope this is useful.

Thank you very much, this is very helpful, our customer support will follow up from here on.

One last question, did you turn on the or turn off the Gapless playback when you perform these tests?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #5,059 of 8,192
My N6ii do not working at all. I have received the new unit wit stock fw EN1.18 and it was working properly until I decided to charge it. After charging, player do not respond on any combination of Buttons press. I have read all previous post suggestions, but unfortunately the unit only shows black screen without any logo.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #5,060 of 8,192
My N6ii do not working at all. I have received the new unit wit stock fw EN1.18 and it was working properly until I decided to charge it. After charging, player do not respond on any combination of Buttons press. I have read all previous post suggestions, but unfortunately the unit only shows black screen without any logo.

Did you use cayin’s charger, another brand’s charger? Have you tried pushing the on/off button for 10-15 seconds?

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #5,061 of 8,192
Did you use cayin’s charger, another brand’s charger? Have you tried pushing the on/off button for 10-15 seconds?
That is second N6ii, that I have received by sellers warranty. The first one was charged by same charger - it is ok. I have tried another charger and another cable - all is ok with charging. Player is charging properly, problem actually not charging process but boot Android OS, when I try to switch on. I am not a newbie with N6ii, because first unit I have been using more that 1 year and well know how to handle that. I started reading this thread just from the first post, when recognized N6ii as a candidate for purchase. But my second unit has a huge problem :frowning2:.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #5,062 of 8,192
Thank you very much, this is very helpful, our customer support will follow up from here on.

One last question, did you turn on the or turn off the Gapless playback when you perform these tests?
I will need to check where it is i.e. on or off. I have never touched this function.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #5,063 of 8,192

Did you try to connect it to usb port of laptop/PC, just to see if it going to wake N6ii up, keep it on for a short while.

Also, did you try Android recovery? Press and hold skip button, the one above play, and then hold power button for a sec until you see android on its back. Hold power button again and press skip again to get into recovery menu.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #5,064 of 8,192

Where do I find Gapless playback? I can’t see it in settings.

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #5,066 of 8,192
In the cayin / Hiby music player settings
Thanks. I’m not sure that would apply to me then as I only use Tidal direct from its app. But I’ll check it just in case.

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #5,067 of 8,192
Did you try to connect it to usb port of laptop/PC, just to see if it going to wake N6ii up, keep it on for a short while.

Also, did you try Android recovery? Press and hold skip button, the one above play, and then hold power button for a sec until you see android on its back. Hold power button again and press skip again to get into recovery menu.
I do not have PC, connected player to my MacBook - only charging, no any signs of wake up. I have tried all combinations of button pushing and holding, no change. Only one response- fully black screen without any logo and charging indicator blinking if connected to charger.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #5,069 of 8,192
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #5,070 of 8,192
I'd like to hear your experience with SD cards in the N6ii. In particular, I am interested in the Sandisk Extreme Pro models.

First question: Does the 1 TB card work reliably in the N6ii?

Second set of questions: I have not yet decided on the card size, 512 GB or 1 TB. My use case includes both my local music library (ripped CDs, purchased hi-res PCM/FLAC and DSD, replayed via the Cayin and HiBy Music Apps) as well as hi-res files downloaded and stored within Qobuz as "local music" for offline replay. My considerations are:
  1. My local library in total is more than 1.5 TB, so it will not fit on an SD card unless I were to find a 2 TB model. Guess that I will have to exchange cards every once in a while since I think 1 TB is the maximum I would purchase. Do all apps (Cayin, HiBy, Qobuz) behave nicely upon exhcanging the SD card?
  2. How about the reliability of said SD cards? I think that in case of a card failure the financial and data loss will be much smaller when I have a couple of 512 GB cards instead of one or two of the hefty 1 TB cards.
The third question is concerned with the Cayin and HiBy Music apps. I suppose that rescanning the music library from within both apps is all that needs to be done if I had several SD cards and were to exchange them at will. Correct?

The fourth set of questions is concerned with Qobuz:
  1. How does the Qobuz app work under Android? I envisage to download and store quite some (hi-res) music that I am interested in as "local music" when the N6ii is hooked up to my home WiFi, such that I can take it anywhere thereafter for offline replay. Where does the Qobuz app store such music, on the SD card? I think such local files are split into lots of separate chunks such that one cannot recover complete audio files.
  2. Would this local music survive "forever" (i.e. as long as the Qobuz app on the N6ii is registered with my subscription)?
  3. If I were to have several SD cards, would the Qobuz app behave nicely when exchanging cards? What I mean is: If I have the "local music" on one of the cards only, would Qobuz be able to tell "the card with local music" from "the card without local music"? Further on, would it run into a mess if I had "local music" on several cards, i.e. one set of albums on one card, a different set of albums on another one?
Remark: I am talking about what Qobuz calls "local music" for offline listening via the Qobuz app. I am NOT talking about purchases from the Qobuz download store where one gets the complete audio (FLAC) files, which are then stored in my personal music library together with CD rips and hi-res purchases, to be replayed via the Cayin or HiBy Music apps.

Thanks in advance for bearing with my big set of questions and providing your experience as well as best practices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back