Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #361 of 8,191
Looking Good.

May 23, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #362 of 8,191
Google Play versions are shipping next Monday. Not too long to wait hehe

Sometimes, you can't be too optimistic, especially when you are dealing with dominated players like Google. Check this out, look what we have been up to in past few days.

We started to validate our N6ii International firmware last week, everything went well, and then suddenly we can't access Google Play on Monday. We were absolutely certain that it was working two days ago. Although this was resolved by an update on Google Play service, but everything is put on hold now, we need to find a new solution, and maybe a revised firmware to resolve the problem permanently.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #363 of 8,191
Damn you people, right when i thought i was decided on the Ibasso DX220 with the AMP8 i find the Astell&Kern Kann Cube and think it would be a perfect device for home and work. I have a Massdrop THX 789 amp on order for delivery this august and still need a balanced dac to go with it and thought the Cube could be it all lol. Then i see this and my inner nerd can't let go of the modular system in this device. A modular system that lets you not only replace the amp but the dac as well. My only concerns are the lack of MQA support, slightly poor USB dac output, and the power output seems vastly less then the AMP8 for the ibasso.

So DX220+Amp8 -> Kann Cube -> N6ii?

May I introduce our N8 DAP to you? Check this out, maybe this is your final choice. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

0V8A9175 crop.JPG

May 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #364 of 8,191
Looking Good.

That was quick, I didn't even finish typing the production information and the Youtube is here already. :beerchug:

May 23, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #365 of 8,191

And I feel really bad I look at the video again, that is not acceptable, bad for the brand. :scream:

we really need a native English speaker to do this job, I need to think in Chinese, translate to English and the roll everything out within 2 minutes. I'll write a proposal to Cayin, ask them to double my budget so that I can afford a better "public representative". ..... [/end of daydreaming mode]

May 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #366 of 8,191
N6ii vs DX220 (stock amp) - would be an interesting comparison... shortlisted these for potential next purchase. Hoping local retailers will have these two together for demo soon. Anyone had a chance to hear and compare these two? Would love to read your findings / impressions...

If you must, Singapore will be the best bet, our Singapore dealer represents iBasso as well, and they are probably one of the earliest international dealer to receive N6ii given the short distance from us, so headfier from Singapore probably will be the first to attempt this.

May 23, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #369 of 8,191
For the second (or third) Motherboard i would like to see something else than an AKM DAC (as i dont like them). My Dream would be something like an improved Pono Player. Which means Class A, a bit more Power, just a tad warmer, slightly thicker mids and a tad less relaxed.

May 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #370 of 8,191
For the second (or third) Motherboard i would like to see something else than an AKM DAC (as i dont like them). My Dream would be something like an improved Pono Player. Which means Class A, a bit more Power, just a tad warmer, slightly thicker mids and a tad less relaxed.
Not a fan of the "velvet sound" either eh? :joy:

Personally I think the best way this could roll out would be for each sound board to represent a brand of dac and its signature sound, taken to its highest level.

For example:
A01 - AKM board focused on a slightly warm, smooth sound

A02 - Sabre board focused on a neutral, detailed and transparent sound.

A03 - Texas Instruments multibit board focused on an analog and natural sound

And so on.

Now THAT would be awesome.

May 23, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #371 of 8,191
Not a fan of the "velvet sound" either eh? :joy:

Personally I think the best way this could roll out would be for each sound board to represent a brand of dac and its signature sound, taken to its highest level.

For example:
A01 - AKM board focused on a slightly warm, smooth sound

A02 - Sabre board focused on a neutral, detailed and transparent sound.

A03 - Texas Instruments multibit board focused on an analog and natural sound

And so on.

Now THAT would be awesome.

The "A" in the A01 comes from the DAC name. In this case, it is AK4497EQ. So if there is another interchangeable board with AK4499EQ, then it would be named as A02. An ES9028Pro based soundboard would be named as E01. TI Dac would be T01.

My guess is Cayin will be releasing E01 (single ES9038 Pro chip) next.

May 23, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #374 of 8,191
Andykong

1) Is it possible to cross-flash units for different markets? I mean flash international firmware with Chinese market unit and vice-versa?
2) Is firmware downgrade available for N6II?

You cannot downgrade to a previous firmware, this is a requirement when Google Play is installed in an Android device. Google assumes that downgrading firmware might affect compatibility of installed App, hence required all manufacturer to enforce this practise when we pre-install Google Play in a device. You can consult Android for more detail.

You can cross-flash as long as you don't downgrade to a previous version, so this is a one way ticket.

UPDATE:

Receive an update from Service Engineer that N6ii cannot be flashed from Chinese firmware to International firmware or vice versa. This was possible with our Android 5.1 based N5ii and N5iiS but not available to the N6ii which is Android 8.1 based.

Last edited:

May 23, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #375 of 8,191
The "A" in the A01 comes from the DAC name. In this case, it is AK4497EQ. So if there is another interchangeable board with AK4499EQ, then it would be named as A02. An ES9028Pro based soundboard would be named as E01. TI Dac would be T01.

My guess is Cayin will be releasing E01 (single ES9038 Pro chip) next.

Correct, A for AKM, E for ESS, etc etc. That's our naming guideline for our Audio Motherboard. When we have a working prototype ready for demo, we'll announce the name and technical detail of our second Audio Motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back